Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 02:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/318/180
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy Here we go!

Greetings fellow dieters!

This is my story thus far, sorry if it's a little long, guess I have a lot on my mind!

My name is Brianna and I'm here for support, to give support, to have a place where I can be encouraged by other people's success and get through this day by day.

I've been on this diet for a little over a month now, I've only lost about 10-15 pounds (don't like weighing myself). It was embarrasing, I went to the doctor's office after I'd been on the diet for a week and of course they wanted to weigh me. I was so frustrated with that because I had just started, I didn't know how much I weighed and I didn't really want to know. So I closed my eyes and stepped on the scale. I came in 2 weeks later and said "ok same deal but this time you told me how much weight I've lost, just don't tell me HOW much I weigh" 8 pounds in 2 weeks! Yay.. well that was encouraging!

I don't know HOW much I weigh but I do know that I have over 100 pounds to go. I'm tall (5'11") and big boned, so I'm not sure what my target weight should be.. but right now I'm just getting through it day by day. My mom is on the diet with me, and my stepdad WAS going to be on it too but he decided that candy and bread and stuff was more interesting that losing weight. I'm in this for the long run, I'm tired of being fat. I'm tired of having my thighs rub together when I walk, I'm tired of having rolls of extra flesh (sorry if this sounds gross), I'm tired of being worried if I can fit into a chair or not, or break it or not, I'm tired of feeling weighed down and suffering from low self-esteem. Enough is enough. I'm going to do this and that's that.

There is a low carb store up the street only a few minutes away! (bless the lord) This is a god send, really! My mom and I head up there when we feel like something sweet, they have low carb ice cream 1 carb per ounce, all kinds of sweets, just a ton of stuff for us to eat. We even treated ourselves to a low carb cheesecake and boy that was yummy!

Its hard in these early days to look ahead, I just wish I could wave a wand and magically lose weight, but I know it's going to take a lot of hard work to get where I want to, and NEED to be.

There are some things I've noticed since I've started the diet these are the *Sunshine Moments* that that one post was talking about. I haven't had that many because I've only been on this a little over a month but these are the one's I've had

- my second chin is a lot smaller now
- the pants that I could barely squeeze into now, I can wear comfortably
- my mom noticing that I've lost weight
- finding this forum!!

Well that's it so far.. but I'll get there. This seems like a great place to get support and give support, share ideas, etc. Yay!

Whew, enough of my blabbering!

I CAN DO IT!!! I CAN DO IT!!!

Thoughts/comments/suggestions/etc ???

Thanks!

Brianna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 06:34

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Talking

Sounds like you are doing everything RIGHT, Brianna!!!!!

So many of us can identify with your very same struggle. You sound as if you are headed off into the right direction with a positive attitude, which I believe is the most important thing in changing your WOE and WOL. If you ever get discouraged or down, this forum is great. Sometimes I just log on just to feel encouraged with all the great stories and successes. If you have questions, this site also has some of the best resources in other people, especially in Karen, Doreen, and Nat.

Good luck and hope to see you around!

You GO girl!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 06:44

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Thumbs up HI Brianna

Welcome Welcome Welcome.

This is a great place to be and we will all be pulling for you.

When I think of the long run, 154 pounds yet for me to loose, it seems unsermountable. So instead of being depressed and down and feeling blue because the weight won't melt overnight, I concentrate on how am I feeling today.

You have taken the first step, you just need to continue to move foward. Tomorrow and the next day YOU will start noticing differences. Celebrate the Sunshine Moments. For me they keep me motivated. Post to this board. It can become addictive.

Above all, welcome. You are with friends now.

Dee
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 08:58

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi there Brianna,
Glad to see you here. I know what it is to be embarrassed to be weighed...but soon you will look forward to it because of your continued success. When you are on your way down, you rejoice at every 10 pounds gone. I'm so glad you are doing this with your mother. It's good to have a partner, to share with and get excited with. This forum is great too to get and give support as well as learn. So many informative people around here! It's so much easier to learn from folks that are struggling with the same thing...rather than some skinny doctor that has never had this problem.

Well, just wanted to say hi and welcome. Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:02
Registered Member

Stats: 321/314/175
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Briannajoy!

I wish when I was your age I would have felt the way you did. Back in my early 20’s I was about 220 lbs….Hmmm….I would have only had about 50-70 pounds to lose, but I was not in the right mindset, and here I sit at age 36, at 314 pounds….what I’m trying to say here is that you have made a conscious decision to take control, and that is the most important thing.

I started out at 350+ pounds last May (01) I have gotten down to 314 by attending TOPS. I stopped going in January and gained back to 321. I had been plateaued for about 3 months….I was eating low-fat, and it just wasn’t working. I had to really work my butt off and felt very hungry…. I have been low carbing 2 ½ weeks and am back down to the 314 mark. This seems much easier, the carb cravings are down a lot more this last week….

After reading a lot of these posts, I see that I’m not the only person in this boat…and it is helpful. I also realize that I can’t look at the whole 150 pounds I want to lose at once. That just seems impossible. I think the “I’ll take one day at a time” approach works well in this situation. Also, something I learned from TOPS was “mini-goals”. My first mini-goal is to make it under 300. I have had 5 lb mini-goals when I plateaued, just so I could feel successful. That feeling spurred me on, and helped me keep focused and feeling positive. As soon as I lost that feeling, I gained back 10 pounds. At least I was smart enough to not see all of the weight I had lost, gained back.

I live in Washington too! Big town of Montesano! I work in Olympia though……good luck! I’m going to start a journal in here…have you started one? I think it is a great idea….also, in your photo, you look a little like Donna on “That 70’s Show”…I don’t know if you watch that or not!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your kind words of support everyone! I realize it will be a lot easier if I just take one day at a time, pound by pound. I guess it's hard looking at the "skinny" people and thinking will I ever look like that. It seems impossible to think of what it would feel like. But I do know that I'll never be "skinny" my body was never built that way, but I can be healthy and strong. And I'm getting there, pound by pound.

I guessed at my weight here, I really don't know, I'm calling the doctor's office to see what it is. I hope I don't faint

I'm actually on hold with them now so I'll just keep on typing till they answer the phone. My mom is cooking ham and eggs now too.. yummy! I'm sure glad I like eggs

This whole part of my life is going to be a big transformation. I'm going to finish college, lose weight, grow my hair out. Just a whole new me!!

I'm excited and I already feel better talking with everyone in this forum! Wow, I'm so glad there is a place I can come to talk about successes, frustrations, etc. I will continue to look out for those Sunshine Moments! They will help me along and I encourage others to try and notice them more too!

I'm so nervous to find out my weight, what if it's more than I thought *gasp*!!!

WOAH its less than I thought!!!!

I started at 340 and I'm at about 330 maybe less now!!!!

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Even though I only overestimated by 10 pounds, thats still 10 less pounds I have to lose! Yay I will update my profile.

Yes I am in Washington State, I'm down by Portland though but I used to live up in Seattle. Wonderful area isn't it ?

Well thanks again for everyone's kind words!

*hugs*

Brianna
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Oh and..

Oh and my mini goal right now is to get under the dreaded 300 mark for me.

Yes I think I will start a journal I tend to be a bit long winded at times, I really enjoy writing and I think sharing my story will be an inspiration to others and help myself as well! Yipee. I love the internet!

Sunshine moment for today:

Coming back to this forum and finding all the new friends I've made yay!

Lets hear it for those sunshine moments!

Brianna

#8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Hi-Energy
Stats: 372/319/180
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Welcome!

Hi Brianna,

Welcome to the group. You'll find that this forum consists of a wonderful bunch of folks.

Hitting that 300 mark is a big goal of mine also. Haven't seen the 200's in a while, but I am determined to get there, come hell or high water.

Keep heading in that right direction, we're all pulling for ya!

Gator (Donald)

#9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:07
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thank you!

Thank you Gator!!! You are a great guy, I've seen your posts and I really wish you the best of luck and it looks like you are proceeding well! I also read about the weekend when you were alone and I congratulate you for not buckling. It's hard sometimes but I try to keep the future in mind, and tell myself if I eat that candy/chocolate whatever, I will regret it. Also, the store up the road has low carb candy and stuff! It's great for when you have a sweet tooth!

Thanks again Gator for your encouraging words! This forum is a god send!

It seems like there are a lot of wonderful people here.. I know I'm just so happy today. I feel much better than I did yesterday.

Yes I've been over the 300 mark for a while now.. it was getting discouraging. But I know, and my goal is by the summer I WILL be under that mark!! I'm also going clothes shopping in April, and my other mini goal is to buy clothes a size smaller I love that. I used to dread shopping but now it will be a great indicator of the weight loss and an encouragement to keep going!

Thanks everyone!

*hugs*

Brianna
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thank you!

Thank you Gator!!! You are a great guy, I've seen your posts and I really wish you the best of luck and it looks like you are proceeding well! I also read about the weekend when you were alone and I congratulate you for not buckling. It's hard sometimes but I try to keep the future in mind, and tell myself if I eat that candy/chocolate whatever, I will regret it. Also, the store up the road has low carb candy and stuff! It's great for when you have a sweet tooth!

Thanks again Gator for your encouraging words! This forum is a god send!

It seems like there are a lot of wonderful people here.. I know I'm just so happy today. I feel much better than I did yesterday.

Yes I've been over the 300 mark for a while now.. it was getting discouraging. But I know, and my goal is by the summer I WILL be under that mark!! I'm also going clothes shopping in April, and my other mini goal is to buy clothes a size smaller I love that. I used to dread shopping but now it will be a great indicator of the weight loss and an encouragement to keep going!

Thanks everyone!

*hugs*

Brianna
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default by the way...

For those of you interested, I've started my journal under Journals A-B titled "Brianna's Transformation" I've included a before picture.

GO GO GO !

WE CAN DO IT!

Brianna
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:57

Plan: dr B
Stats: 199.6/191.4/135
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hey Bianna!!!!
I just found this forum yesterday, and I also just started a diet at Dr Bernstiens's clinic here in Toronto, and I was searching this forum for info when I found your message.
I sit all day at my desk at work, and I acually cut some pictures out of Cosmopolitan of some outfits (little outfits) that I am determined to wear in the summer, and pinned them over my computer.
Some people at my office might think I am a little strange, but I dont care...when I look up and see those cool outfits, I just smile and think "one day....."
So maybe little things like that will help you too.
Just a suggestion
You sound like an awesome, delightful person, and I wish you the best of luck!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 13:21
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Lisa,

Congratulations on starting your journey!!! *hugs*

And thank you for your kind words, yes I do look ahead, I suppose my favorite clothing moment, as I look into the future would be, putting in a swimsuit and not throwing up! lol

That is one of my biggest dreads, considering how large I am, oh, I need to buy a new swimsuit I do love swimming. But, I go into to try them on and I just want to cry. But that will change!! This summer will be a little better, I know I won't be at my goal but I'll be on my way!! Perhaps someday I'll be able to wear a bikinni! Imagine that!!

Lisa, I sure wish you the best of luck and there's a lot of great people here from what I've read/seen.

You'll get there, we'll get there.. keep it up, and don't lose sight of your goal

*hugs*

Brianna
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 17:50

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default you can do this

Welcome Brianna, this is a great place for support. In reading your Journal I could see myself in it. I think you are on the right track, keep up the good work. I have found great encouragement in this group. Joan
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 18:14
Registered Member

BF:

Joan,

Thank you, and I'm glad you can identify with my journal! I am a writer at heart, and I hope that my words will bring hope and inspiration to everyone here.

Keep checking my journal, I plan to be very active in it (as well as my life)

I'm also known to write the occasional poem, so that might pop up there as well

Thanks Joan and good luck to you on your journey!

*hugs*

Brianna