Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 20:11

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Question for Nat, or anyone else who knows...

Hi kids,

Question 1 is about protein :

I recall reading something somewhere in the boards that excess protein is converted to glucose. Is that correct, and do I need to worry about too much protien? Will having some at each meal actually cause a stall?

Question 2 is about Flax Oil :

Do you get the same benefits from flax oil that you do from flax meal as far as fibre is concerned, in your opinion? I am sprinkling a tablespoon of flax meal on my salad every day, but just wonder if the oil would give me the same amount of fibre? My common-sense tells me not, but wondered if you knew for sure.

Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 09:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Question for Nat, or anyone else who knows...

Missed this question, Dizzy !

The short answer to both your questions is "no". The longer answers follow:

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyd
Question 1 is about protein :
I recall reading something somewhere in the boards that excess protein is converted to glucose. Is that correct, and do I need to worry about too much protien? Will having some at each meal actually cause a stall?

Yes, it is correct that excess protein can be converted to glucose and used by your body - this process is called gluconeogenesis. The fact that our bodies can do this is a sign of just how unneccesarry carbs are to our survival - we can make glucose when we need it. Do you need to worry about it? NO. Should you eat some with every meal? YES. Your body needs a constant supply of amino acids - if you do not supply it one with diet it will get it from the one place that amino acids abound - your lean muscle tissue. Protein Power advises figuring out your minimum protein requirement - key word being minimum. You can, and should eat more.

A recent discussion on protein and gluconeogensis will provide a bit more info:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1610#post281610

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyd

Question 2 is about Flax Oil :
Do you get the same benefits from flax oil that you do from flax meal as far as fibre is concerned, in your opinion? I am sprinkling a tablespoon of flax meal on my salad every day, but just wonder if the oil would give me the same amount of fibre? My common-sense tells me not, but wondered if you knew for sure.

No. Flax oil is 100% fat - no fiber, no carb, no protein. You'll get the omega 3 EFA benefit but not the fiber. Your common sense is bang on

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 11:55

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Not an answer to your question...

...this is just a little tip of my hat to Nat.

You always know the answer to those kind of questions. And not just a "hmmm... well I think" kind of answer. A real "these are the facts ma'am" answer. Which is so cool. I hope that being a do-gooder like that comes back to you ten-fold IRL. Thank you!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 22:40

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up I'll second that tip o' the hat!

Thanks so much Nat! I knew I was asking the right person! So, now that my concern has been laid to rest, where's the beef!

Seriously, I appreciate your response. It's so nice to have the reasons behind the answers explained to you along with a response.

I think I may have to invenst in the Protien Power book. Sounds like it's chock full of wonderful info.

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 23:13

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Re: Question for Nat, or anyone else who knows...

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka

A recent discussion on protein and gluconeogensis will provide a bit more info:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1610#post281610
Nat

Thanks for the explanation of gluconeogenesis in your post within that thread. It cleared up a lot of confusion about eating too much protein.

Allison