Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 16:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/305/180
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default How much can I eat??

Hi I am new at this, and I do have questions. I love bacon, and I could eat a pkg a day. is this to extreme? is there a max on calories per day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 17:04

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi sandman

As a rough guide you should eat about 10 times your body weight in calories. Ao for you around 3000 calories would be about right.

Other than that eat whenever you are hungry, as this is not a quantity type way of eating.

One caution though - as bacon is processed it does have added salt and usually some form of sugar for curing eg dextrose etc.

Some folks find that too much processed meat makes them stall - you'll have to try different things out to see.

good luck

lesley
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:45

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome aboard!

Don't go rushing out and eat 3000 calories right away - unless that is what you normally eat and that is what it takes to make you satisfied on this WOE. The 10x rule doesn't really apply much beyond normal body fat percentages. Beyond that, you need to account for the fact that muscle and other body tissues consume a lot more energy than fat does. If you can estimate your fat percentage, then determine your lean body mass and multiply that by ten. Then add about four hundred. Then, optionally, add two to four calories for every pound of fat.

Presently, I weigh 360 and am consuming about 1800 -2000 calories (which is not too far below off what I was consuming before I started). I plan to stay at about this level until about six weeks and then, if I am not satisfied with the progress, increase by about 500 calories for at least one month. Then decide where to go from there.

I would recommend to do the same. Don't make changes every day or every week. Demand of yourself the commitment to give any alteration at least one month establish whether or not it is working.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 21:03

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi sandman, and welcome

I agree with wbahn. I would be careful about eating too many calories. I eat bacon almost everyday. It doesn't seem to stall me, but everyone's different. Give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck,

cimart
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 06:49

Stats: 312/305/180
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks for the input, hope for the best.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:29

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default as much as you want!

as much as ya want, as long as your eating when your HUNGRY and not untill your stuffed.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by cimart
I eat bacon almost everyday. It doesn't seem to stall me, but everyone's different.
hi cimart,

Bacon gets a bad rap for being high fat and calories .. which is true for RAW bacon. However, when it's cooked and the grease drained away, it has much, much less. I've posted the details here. You might be interested to know that the nutrient profile for 3 averages slices of cooked bacon is very similar to one ounce (30g) natural cheddar or swiss cheese.

Bacon IS very salty ... which may be a problem for some folks. As an aside, I've noticed that salt-reduced bacon also seems to be lower in carbs as well.

Doreen