Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 16:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 276/274/152
BF:
Progress: 2%
Unhappy New need help and support

Hi I am 42 my names marie. in 88 my dad died he was my best mate. my marriage ended leaving me heart broke with a 2 year old and 10 year old daughters. on top of this I had to take in my mentaaly ill mum. my weight went because of my nerves to 25st 10 (360lb) I was so ill. I remarried in 1990. and in 96 joined slimming world where I lost 7st 7lb (105 lb)by 1998. but then the weight stopped falling off and for 98 and 99 nothing moved it. I gained over last two years due to my mums illness getting worse and her dieing in september last year. I tried WW. cal counting. fat counting but never atkins can it will it work I have the old orange coloured book . but can I still have skimmed milk for my tea I dont use sugar and my main foods are rice pasta potatoes and bread. I really am not a meat eater is there any hope or any one near me to offer me support or help please. I am desperate.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 20:33

Stats: 184.5/184.5/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Hello there!

Well, you are taking good steps by trying it out and joining the chat board to talk with people! I am certainly not an expert (i'm a beginer too), but I do hope that a new way of life works for you!

I am not a big meat fan either, but I have found ways around it. I do eat meat now at every meal - sausage, tuna, salmon, chicken... I don't enjoy a big piece of meat slapped in front of me, but I do like things marinaded or mixed with seasoning. So, for my meat dishes I eat meat with something and it helps.

There are many people here with advice - read a lot and hopefully you will feel empowered to make a big change for yourself.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 03:01

Stats: 276/274/152
BF:
Progress: 2%
Smile Thank you for the welcome

Thank you so much for replying to me. I am willing to give it a go so the new me starts here lol.(I can dream cant I?) Xx
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/161/130
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile

Hi Milleniums,
I can't give you any advice because I'm new to this too. I understand exactly what you are saying about having dreams.
I am determined to give this a good try ( at least a month) I am going to stay away from the scale because I think that normal fluctuations can be depressing.

good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 13:48

Stats: 205/190/125
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default newbie

Hi, I am Martha. I am a diabetic who has been trying to follow lowcarb since May of 200l. I am getting my blood sugars under control and feel so much better. I am still trying to learn the do's and don'ts . I take several medications and am not seeing the weight loss some do, so now am trying to sort of regroup and see where I can improve on. Would love to get to know and make new friends who can maybe offer advice to someone who isnt seeing those pounds melt away........lol

martha
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 14:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi milleniums! The first and most important thing to do is to throw away the old Atkins book and get the new 2002 edition. It is really important to know why and how low-carbing works. YOu may also want to check "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" to the right of this page for comparisons on different LC plans to find one that suits you. There is also a vegetarian forum here and you could look through it to see how vegetarians fit low-carbing in to their lifestyle.

You do need to eat protein and fat, and you do need to eat a minimum amount per day. All of these things are taboo on a low-carb way of eating: skimmed milk, rice, pasta, potatoes, and bread.

Before you think that it's hopeless, do some reading on it. Educating yourself and then tailoring a plan to suit your needs is what you really need to do.

Almost everyone here was a heavy carb user and many have found a new lease on life by changing their eating habits. I used to lived on a constant stream of sugar. You can do it too!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 15:12

Stats: 205/190/125
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Diabetic success's

Hi, I'm Martha and just joined. Are their other diabetics who have controlled their blood sugar doing low carbing? I am getting them under control but need to cut down on creams and cheeses I think now and try to loose weight. I have been trying to redo my recipes to family lowcarb so that I dont have to fix 2 different meals. Would love ideas. I like something quick as I work second shift and dont have a lot of time. I do try to fix several things on the weekend to last all week. Thanks, martha