Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 218/214/140
BF:
Progress: 5%
Exclamation MEASUREMENTS

How is the correct way to measure myself to ensure a correct number? I want to make sure I'm, doing it in the same place every time. THanks!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 11:48

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

I think it's not always easy, and it depends on the shape of your own figure. For me it's always clear to me where my waist is, so I'm pretty confident I'm measuring the same place each time. But for my thighs the measurement is a little less reliable. Of course, if I dropped two or three inches suddenly, THAT would be an obvious and fairly reliable measurement (LOL) but that's not likely to happen. I try to measure six inches below my hip joint every time. Also, if you have any birthmarks or freckles or whatever on your skin you can take aim using them as a reference.

Missydog
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 18:21

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Does anyone know the correct method for talking measurements...

I would really like to kno this as well. I'll do some research, but if anyone knows off hand like where on the upper arm, where is the waist (exactly at the belly button, etc), where on the thigh I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Erin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 19:32

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I, too, was having the same problem!! Everyone was touting the benefits of measurement over scales....but I felt soooo stupid and was afraid to say anything I could make the tape say anything I wanted it to just by the placement. I guess my "rolly-polly" body isn't condusive to measuring....so I threw the tape measure AWAY!!! (I showed it who was boss!!)

But seriously, if anyone has any direction....it would be most appreciated!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 20:24

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

If I can quote my dear friend Nat --- it doesn't matter where you measure, just that you always measure in the same place. Remember, what you are looking for is a change...i.e. proof that the WOE is working for you. I always try to measure the fattest part of my arm, thigh or calf. As missydog said, choose a spot, find a "landmark" and use that to measure everytime!

Good luck

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 22:08

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default But,

Sorry to be so picky - but say I want to take my standard measurements (chest-waist-hip), where is my waist exactly, at my belly button or lower, and where do I measure my hips, is six inches down from the hip the rule. I try your landmark idea to track my progress. Thanks,
Erin
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 16:18

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Erin -

My waist moves - seriously! The thinner I am, the lower it is! Choose a landmark, say your lowest rib and measure so many inches below it.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 18:29

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default Where's the Waist?

Years ago I read one of the popular "Big is Beautiful" books--I couldn't tell you now which one it was, but I owned nearly all of them--and I remember the author saying "Wherever you 'break' when you bend sideways, that's your waist." Mine's about an inch or so above my bellybutton. Yours may or may not be there.

Hips: Well, most seamstresses I know will say "the widest part below your waist," because that's what they have to fit clothes to. I measure right across my hipbones, because that *used* to be the widest part--and now I can tell what's changed!

As for the others, I'm with the majority here. Pick a "landmark" and use that for reference, so you're sure you're measuring in the same place each time.