Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 269/261/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default PG-13 question

Okay, I really have to ask someone, and this seems to be the place.
We have all heard about "ketosis breath" due to the chemical changes in our system, but does it have the same effect on other body parts? Simply put, is there such a thing as "ketosis koochie"?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin w/cheese
Stats: 258/258/158 Male 71
BF:alot/alot less
Progress: 0%

My urine tends to smell more on a low carb diet. no biggee there.

As far as privates go, I haven't noticed anything. I'm not a doctor, but I think sweat is partially made up of the same substance that urine is. So it would stand to reason that your sweat may be a little pungeant, especially in the koochie areas, which tend to sweat a little more.

As a big guy (5'11"-230), persperation is not my friend. When I sweat on a humid day, I have to shower at least twice and change shirts two-three times. I tend to bake. I can stand a little ketosis koochie if the resluts will be "normal sweat"
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

A hi-protein diet like Atkins produces a lot of BUN: Blood Urea Nitrogen It's the breakdown chemical left over from protein metabolism. It's a major chemical in urine. It comes out in the sweat, is acted on by skin bacteria and can lead to body odor. Drinking more water dilutes the urine and sweat so the BUN is less concentrated.

I found the problem went away by not eating red meat protein.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 08:30

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I find that certain foods seem to make me stronger but red meat isn't one of them. I usually notice it with strong veggies such as asparagus, garlic, onions, mustard greens stuff like that. But, that doesn't make me avoid these foods. Somehow I notice it more on low carb than I did before. I just try to make sure that I "gargle" regularly. Drink plenty of water and use those moistened cleaning wipes. Actually DH started buying those things. I wonder if he was trying to tell me something.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 269/261/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Drink plenty of water and use those moistened cleaning wipes. Actually DH started buying those things. I wonder if he was trying to tell me something.

That's really what I was wondering, just in case I ever get to have sex again in this lifetime (sometimes I have my doubts).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 09:21

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

I noticed just the opposite after I had been on low carb for a while. I did and do drink a ton of water, though. My urine used to smell pretty bad and I changed my underwear a couple of times a day. I think after the yeast die-off, I have practically no odor and don't need to change underwear but once a day, unless I shower more often. My sweat used to have a sickish sweet odor and I have noticed that that smell is gone. If I got sweaty in the night, I had to get up and change my night shirt because of the smell. That hasn't happened in months. It's all been good for me.

Sunny!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 09:23

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp728
That's really what I was wondering, just in case I ever get to have sex again in this lifetime (sometimes I have my doubts).
ROTFLMBO! I know the feeling!

Sunny!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 09:40

Plan: prot/low carb-ketosis
Stats: 12/08/04 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am sweating more then before low carb. I know that is normal but boy I wish that would stabalyze. I keep deoderant in my locker. I don't smell but boy I am wet in places that I've never sweat before. And I have been sweating at night even though it is cold in my room. My hubby calls the bedroom "the morgue" I figured I was starting to go through the change! But maybe its also the low carb lifestyle. Anyone else out there sweat at night??????
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 340/340/225 Male 73
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp728
Simply put, is there such a thing as "ketosis koochie"?

#10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 11:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/163/155 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm not trying to be rude, just honest. Yuck, I think I'm going to PUKE!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin w/cheese
Stats: 258/258/158 Male 71
BF:alot/alot less

I honestly think the obesity BO far outweighs the LC BO. Any one 30 lbs + overweight? Summer is usually the greatest reminder that being overweight sucks! Even Stephen King described an over weight man as one that would smell by noon.

As far as Koochie goes, I think it's all in your mind. Just think "I am beautiful, no matter what they say"