Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 14:38
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Antioxidant studies

More Promising Studies Show the Benefits of CoQ10, plus: Vitamin C and Alpha Lipoic Acid for Heart Health

March 28, 2006 - It hasn't been long since I last mentioned Coenzyme Q10, or CoQ10, for short. This amazing nutrient appears frequently in the medical journals, with studies evidencing its wide variety of benefits. One new study suggests it may offer help for Lou Gherig's disease. I also want to share with you some exciting news about Vitamin C. If you enjoy eating burgers and fries, this information will be of interest to you! Finally, Alpha Lipoic Acid is a nutrient offering total body protection. Unlike typical store-bought multi-vitamins, Synergy multi-vitamins contain optimal dosages of all these nutrients

Perhaps one of the scariest diseases a neurologist will face is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), otherwise known as Lou Gherig's disease. This condition, which frequently starts off gradually, leads to total paralysis of all muscles throughout the body, including respiratory muscles. It doesn't effect cognitive functioning in any way. Consequently, the patient slowly but surely becomes trapped within his or her body, eventually requiring a respirator. There is no treatment for this condition, which can progress over months to a few years.

In the March 2006 edition of the prestigious journal Neurology, researchers from Columbia University reported on a phase II randomized placebo-controlled, double-blinded, multi-center clinical trial using high-dose CoQ10 in patients with ALS1. Patients were given 1,800 to 2,700 mg a day of CoQ10, versus placebo. Hopefully this study will offer some hope for this dismal condition. A previous article in Neurology from December 2005 noted that CoQ10 was safe and well-tolerated in 31 subjects treated with doses as high as 3,000 mg a day for eight months2.

Another interesting study was published in the British journal Diabetic Medicine in March 20063. Twenty patients with type II diabetes mellitus participated in a study involving an overnight fast, followed by ingestion of a standard fatty meal in the morning. The study was then repeated in a double-blinded manner with placebo. Half the group received vitamin C 1,000 mg daily for two days prior to retesting with the fatty meal, while the other group received placebo. It was found that those who supplemented with vitamin C had significant improvement in blood flow after the fatty meal compared to the placebo group. The effect lasted for at least eight hours after the fatty meal. It's not uncommon for individuals to suffer heart attacks after a fatty meal because of alterations in blood flow through arteries from effects of lipids in the bloodstream. This study reminds me of a prior study in Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) where half a group of normal individuals received high dose vitamin C (1,000 mg) and E (800 mg) where the other group was given placebo4. All had the equivalent of a heavy saturated fat Mc Donald's breakfast. Those given vitamins C and E had significant improvement in blood flow compared to the group given placebo.

In a related article published in the March 2000 edition of Atherosclerosis5, researchers out of Sweden tested forearm blood flow in 12 young, healthy males. These 12 men then received infusion of endothelin-1, which exerts pro-inflammatory effects and contributes to endothelial dysfunction. When endothelin-1 was infused there was clear decrease in blood flow. However, when these same individuals were pre-treated with vitamin C at 24 mg a minute, the vitamin C was able to prevent the decrease in blood flow by the endothelin-1.

The last nutrient I'd like to discuss is the R form of alpha lipoic acid. There are two recent interesting articles concerning this nutrient. In the journal of Diabetologia (March 2006), researchers out of Germany tested effects of the R form of alpha lipoic acid on experimental diabetic retinopathy in three groups of rats6. After 30 weeks of induced diabetes, capillaries were significantly elevated in diabetic rats that were untreated. However, supplementing rats with R-alpha lipoic acid reduced the number of abnormal capillaries by 88 percent, along with showing other clear benefits. Researchers concluded the R form of alpha lipoic acid prevents microvascular damage through normalized pathways downstream of mitochondrial overproduction of reactive oxygen species.

Finally, in the March 2006 edition of Journal of Neuroscience Research, researchers tested effects of R-alpha lipoic acid in mice that were chronically systemically exposed to D galactose7. Mice that were not given R-alpha lipoic acid had induction of memory deficits and loss of brain cells. Mice treated with R-alpha lipoic acid showed clear improvement in cognitive dysfunction along with degeneration of cells within the brain.

Every day we receive literally dozens to hundreds of emails complimenting us on our products, value and service. I was particularly heartened by a recent email from a customer who, up to this point, had difficulty affording CoQ10 to give a relative suffering with Parkinson's disease. There was a study in the Archives of Neurology a few years ago indicating that CoQ10 at 400 to 1,200 mg daily could actually slow progression of this degenerative disorder, with 1,200 mg providing the best result8.

Unfortunately, for most people 1,200 mg of CoQ10 has been an expense they cannot afford. However, we at Nutraceutical Sciences InstituteŽ (NSIŽ) have now made it affordable. By having the ability to buy in large volumes, we can lower prices to levels not previously seen, including the launch of NSIŽ's new 600 mg per capsule CoQ10 at up to 80 percent less per mg than others.

As you peruse our wide selection of CoQ10, you will be amazed at the incredible pricing. In the past people took 10 to 30 mg per day because of the high cost. But new science and studies indicate the ideal levels are 200 mg to 400 mg per day, if you take statin cholesterol-lowering drugs or have cardiovascular concerns. For neurological concerns I recommend 1,200 mg per day to my patients. For basic protection well above the 1 to 5 mg per day diet provides, I recommend 30 to 200 mg per day.

But having great pricing without a good product is basically worthless. Our CoQ10 is the natural trans form from Japan, not a knockoff, inferior, synthetic product like many being produced China or elsewhere . Both NSIŽ softgel and capsule versions are highly potent. You'll also find NSIŽ's Synergy multivitamin line is the only one I'm aware of with CoQ10 at dosages up to 200 mg per day.

Alpha lipoic acid, of course, is an excellent nutrient with a myriad of benefits. This is why we also include it in all NSIŽ Synergy multi-vitamins. We now offer customers both regular alpha lipoic acid (containing 50 percent R-form) and the 100 percent R-form. Both of these products have great efficacy. Unfortunately, the R-form is about six times more expensive. We include 600 mg of 100 percent R-form in Synergy Platinum, our top-of-the-line Synergy multi-vitamin. And don't forget our Synergy line of products contain excellent doses of Ester-C, the best form of vitamin C, which is PH neutral (non-acidic), retained longer and absorbed better. I also highly recommend quercetin with vitamin C. All NSIŽ synergy products contain this combination. For more information on quercetin click here.

To review the numerous NSIŽ CoQ10 choices click here.

For more information on NSIŽ's Synergy choices click here.

1.- G. Levy, P. Kaufmann, R. Buchsbaum, J. Montes, A. Barsdorf, R. Arbing, V. Battista, X. Zhou, H. Mitsumoto, B. Levin, and J.L.P. Thompson. A two-stage design for a phase II clinical trial of coenzyme Q10 in ALS. Neurology 2006 66: 660-663.

2.- K. L. Ferrante, J. Shefner, H. Zhang, R. Betensky, M. O'Brien, et.al. Tolerance of high-dose (3,000 mg/day) coenzyme Q10 in ALS. Neurology 2005 65: 1834-1836.

3.- R. A. Anderson, L. M. Evans, G. R. Ellis*, N. Khan, K Morris?, S. K. Jackson, A. Rees, M. J. Lewis and M. P. Frenneaux. Prolonged deterioration of endothelial dysfunction in response to postprandial lipaemia is attenuated by vitamin C in Type 2 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine. Mar 2006: Vol. 23, page 258.

4.- JAMA. 1997 Nov 26;278(20):1682-6.

5.- Atherosclerosis. 2006 March 7 (Epub ahead of print).

6.- Diabetologia. 2006 March 7 (Epub ahead of print).

7.- J. Neurosci Res 2006 March 22 (Epub ahead of print)

8.- Clifford W. Shults; David Oakes; Karl Kieburtz; M. Flint Beal; Richard Haas; Sandy Plumb; Jorge L. Juncos; John Nutt; Ira Shoulson, et. al. Effects of Coenzyme Q10 in Early Parkinson Disease: Evidence of Slowing of the Functional Decline. Arch Neurol, Oct 2002; 59: 1541 - 1550.

http://www.vitacost.com/newsletter/...YH20060328:main
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 13:32

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Controlled insulin?

Would be interesting to have controlled the insulin in the diabetes study--would be willing to bet that "standard fatty meal" had a fairly high carb%.

I can't take alpha lipo on any sustained basis--makes me nuts. I've noticed something similar with any of the nutrients touted as crossing the blood-brain barrier.