Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 13:59

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Is taking a suppliment with iron bad?

I was wondering if taking iron in my suppliment would not be a good idea considering that the LC diet is supposed to be high in iron.

I definitely feel better when I take it but I haven't for 5 days now because when I realized it I got scared.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 19:27

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I think that one of the reasons Dr. A said no iron is that iron can be constipating. Something that LCers don't need, an additional thing that can lead to constipation.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 20:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Iron is a mineral that's not excreted from the body like potassium or magnesium .. it gets stored. Levels of stored iron that are too high have been linked to heart and blood vessel disease. This is mostly a concern for men and post-menopausal women though, since menstruating women lose some iron with their monthly bleeding. Pregnancy and breastfeeding will use up quite a bit of iron too.

If you're really worried that your iron level might be too high, ask your dr. for a blood test called "serum ferritin". I'm glad I did .. found out my level was too LOW.

hth

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 21:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

The parts of the cell responsible for absorbing iron are also responsible for absorbing calcium and zinc, so you can find yourself getting low on these other essential minerals if you are taking in too much iron.

Best thing to do is to get your iron and haemoglobin levels checked when you get your bloods done - that should let you know whether or not you need extra supplementation.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 21:36

BF:

Thanks you guys.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 12:35

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Finish the bottle?

If you suddenly stop taking a vitamin like that, you're also going to be feeling the effects of missing everything else--esp. C and B, which are not stored in any form in the body. I can feel B within a day or two--and it's not pretty. (And actually writing this reminded me that I missed this morning's dose...)

Assuming your still menstruating and not having major problems with consipation, one bottle won't hurt. Or, you could buy the same stuff without iron, and alternate on days till the original is gone.

If you want way more information than this, look at Sex Time and Power by Leonard Shlain. He tells the story about how human evolution has been driven by the human female's incredible need for iron, unique among mammals. Whole different picture.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:40
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

I was thinking that artifical iron, like the iron found in most supplements, builds up in your body and the excess is not excreted. And natural iron, like you find in meat, does not build up? And since most people on low carb diet get plenty -- do not take in supplements.

http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...ron&SearchBy=HL

http://www.healthiernews.com/

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/aadr-iron.html
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 16:10

BF:

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it. I'm just going to give the suppliments to my boyfriend or his dad and I'll buy some without the iron.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 06:11

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default Ummmm....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira
I'm just going to give the suppliments to my boyfriend or his dad and I'll buy some without the iron.

If you don't think they're safe enough for you to take, why would you give them to someone who presumably doesn't menstruate?

Iron supplements are often needed, and always safer, for menstruating women, because menstruation, child bearing, child birth, and nursing are heavily iron-draining. Women lose a LOT of iron over their life. Men lose very little at all.

Personally, I take supplements with iron. I need it. YMMV.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 07:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Anthony Calpo over at www.theomnivore.com has an article about iron and why it is not good to supplement it. I've decided not to supplement it myself and try to get what I need from food.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 08:22

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Men should never take supplements with iron, unless there is a medical reason to do so.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 10:27

BF:

What about someone who eats really poorly? I'm talking frozen pizza, popcorn, barely any veggies and maybe a few bites of meat from dinner.

Would it still be bad for him to take it if he eats horribly?