Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:55

Plan: Dr. Adkins
Stats: 168/165/135
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question Total calorie counting necessary?

This is my first post and wondering something I probably should already know. I've read and read and can't find anything about counting total calories. Carbs, for sure...but wondering, what if someone kept the carbs below 20, yet pigged out on all the allowable foods. I'm not losing like I should, but find that I still eat alot, only allowable foods though. Could that be it? Should I cut back on the meat, sugar-free jello, cheese, etc.?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 15:23

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Jan,

There is conflicting thought on the issue of calories. I believe the Atkins plan allows you an "unlimited" amount of "free" foods (0 carb foods). However, are you perhaps "pigging out" on foods that are actually not free? Cheese has some carbs (about 1 gram per oz., depending on the cheese) so cheese is NOT a free food, never mind what Dr. Atkins thinks. Sugar-free jello is a nice treat but could possibly cause problems if you eat it in large quantities because of the artificial sweetner, which is a staller for some people. Another school of thought says you should eat 10-12 times your current body weight in calories per day. This might not apply to someone who is very fat, but you are not in that category so the 10-12 times your current weight rule could probably be used by you quite well. I'm within 10 pounds of goal and find I tend to go by the 10-12 rule. However, the closer you get to goal the more your weight loss slows, so that is perhaps not the time to pig out on anything. Since you are just starting out, why don't you experiment with the different philosophies to find what works best for you? Unless of course you are doing Atkins Induction, in which case I would say stay the course, count your carbs, and watch out for those items that may be sabotaging your efforts because they contain carbs you didn't know about. Until you get more experienced, look everything up in a good "foods count" book. If I were doing induction, by the way, I'd follow the 10-12 rule, unless I was particularly hungry and then I'd eat more of the ALLOWED foods only. Good luck and have fun!

Missydog

Last edited by missydog : Thu, Nov-08-01 at 15:55.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 16:34

Plan: Dr. Adkins
Stats: 168/165/135
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thank you missy--I understand that calories and artificial sweetners can make a difference. Since I'm not losing, watching these areas makes sense. thanks again for taking time to explain and help me understand. take care.....Janet
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 20:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Janet, and welcome to the forum

Dr. Atkins advises you not worry about counting calories; this is good advice when starting out. Most people have to struggle to rid themselves of that low fat / calorie restricted mind set that prevails in our society today; not counting calories, eating until you're full and seeing the resulting weight loss is all the proof most people need when starting out on this WOL However, it is important that you eat enough food every day to fuel your body. The accepted rule of thumb is 10 to 12 times your body weight (165 x 10 = 1650 / 165 x 12 = 1980); You should therefore be aiming anywhere between 1650 and 1980 calories a day. This number will ensure your body is well nourished and can function adequately.

If you're having problems losing Janet, why not start a Journal and give us some ideas of what you're eating and drinking? Slow loss can be the result of many things; undereating, insufficient water intake, hidden carbs, past yo yo dieting experience, medications.

HTH,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 01:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Janet,

I checked your profile and would like to suggest that reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is super important to be successful with this WOL, especially in the initial phase.

Nat is right about calories. One of the side-effects of this WOL is appetite suppression. Because a lot of new low-carbers arrive from low-faD or calorie restricted diets they equate not being hungry and eating less food as good. As you are a veteran yo-yo dieter, your body will say [I]Oh, oh! Not enough food again. Think I'll hang on to this fat because I'll starve![QUOTE] This is one of the nasty side-effects of this type of dieting. Starting a journal is a good idea.

Read Atkins and don't worry. Eat real meats and vegetables, butter, olive oil - watch out for artificial sweeteners, nuts and low-carb products that mimic high carb foods - and enjoy the fat on your steak.

Karen