Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 08:43

Plan: Induction
Stats: 228/228/160 Female 5'3"
BF:39%/?/25%
Progress: 0%
Default Burning Muscle before Fat???

I have a question. I shoud know the answer but I don't. I got measured at my gym (Gold's) last night. They told me that low carb diets burn muscle before fat. Is that true? I have 1.6% more body fat than I did in September and I weigh 10lbs less. I weighed 163 in September and by January I got up to 175. Since then I have got back down to 153. It could be just the tool the used to do the body fat. It was different than what they used back in September. But does low carb really take muscle before fat? I didn't think it did...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 08:48

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

I thought carbs were burned first, then fat, then protein. Don't you have to starve yourself inorder for your body to use its protein source? Like anoxreics.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Maybe you are not getting enough protein. An ordinary person requires 60-70 grams per day and if you go to the gym constantly, you need more.

Additionally, lo carb dieters need to get their needed minimum amount of glucose from their protein intake. If it was not enough they get it by consuming their body muscles. Excercising also makes you need more glucose.

So, I think you need 100-150 grams of protein a day depending on your exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 12:26

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
They told me that low carb diets burn muscle before fat. Is that true?

Nope. The opposite is true.

If you are eating adequate calories and adequate protein, you won't burn muscle tissue. You'll likely gain muscle.

If you are lowcarbing and burn more calories than you take in, you'll burn a small amount of lean tissue. This is not avoidable on any diet when you operate at a isocaloric level to lose weight. But compared to a low fat diet, you'll burn less lean tissue on a lc diet.

Serre
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 12:41

Plan: Induction
Stats: 228/228/160 Female 5'3"
BF:39%/?/25%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
Nope. The opposite is true.

Thanks! That's what I thought. I know that Gold's Gym is not a supporter of a low carb lifestyle, that is why I don't have a personal trainer there! I do my own thing. It seems to be working fine, I guess.