Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:54

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default St John’s wort is as effective as brand drugs

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/33266.html

This isn't really related to low-carb but I thought it would be of interest. I think this is rather intriguing when you consider big pharma's bid to cripple the supplement industry. Makes you think doesn't it?

BILLY BRIGGS February 11 2005

ST John's wort is at least as effective in treating depression as a widely-prescribed anti-depressant drug, according to research published today.

A study by researchers in Germany compared the effectiveness of extract from the herb with the drug paroxetine – also known as seroxat – in treating patients with moderate or severe depression.

The team concluded that the herb was just as effective, if not better, than paroxetine, and patients experienced fewer side-effects.

In past trials, St John's wort has been shown to be better than dummy pills to treat mild to moderate depression, but its effectiveness in treating patients with more severe depression has been disputed.

Last year, experts called for doctors to use alternative therapies to treat mental illness rather than automatically prescribing anti-depressants, especially in milder cases as there was the possibility of side-effects, including suicidal thoughts and self-harm.

Also, the number of anti-depressant prescriptions in the UK has tripled in 10 years to more than three million in 2002/2003, while the cost has more than quadrupled over the same period to more than £55m.

St John's wort varies in price, but 30 tablets retail for about £5, while medicine on prescription costs £6.30.

In the latest study, re-searchers used patients with moderate to severe depression to test St John's wort and paroxetine – from a class of anti-depressant known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
The two substances were given to the patients, aged 18 to 70, for six weeks.
At the end of the trial, half of those taking St John's wort (61 out of 122) found that their depressive symptoms were in decline, but only a third of those on paroxetine (43 out of 122) went into remission.

The patients on paroxetine also suffered more side-effects, with 269 adverse effects reported during the six-week trial. Those on St John's wort reported 172 adverse effects. In both cases, the most common side-effect was stomach disorders.

The researchers concluded: "Our results support the use of hypericum extract WS 5570 (St John's wort) as an alternative to standard anti-depressants in moderate to severe depression, especially as it is well tolerated. "As in any effective anti-depressant, potential interactions with other drugs deserve clinical attention." They called for further research to confirm their findings.
The new study contradicts research published last February which showed that St John's wort could have harmful side-effects and was often packaged with misleading information about its active ingredients. Researchers found that actual amounts of active chemicals in tablets of St John's wort were very different from the manufacturers' claims.

The findings suggested that people could be taking much less or much more of the active supplement than they realised.

The supplement, extracted from a yellow-flowered plant that grows throughout the world, is known to interact with some medicinal drugs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 11:23
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I was only looking into this treatment for depression today - I got some that I ordered off of the internet to try. i have suffered with ongoing depression for years and I am hoping that this will be the answer to getting rid of the sad days I feel.
Thanks for posting, it's helped to put a lot of the reasons why this works so well into perspective.
Emma
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

jadefox

This is unusual in that it claims benefit for severe depression. I have suggested St.Johh's to friends before and they laughed and got on Prozac.

Also, there have been studies that confirm exercise is usually as good the the Pharaceuticals at relieving depression. I find that exercise is a real mood builder.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 14:26

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadefox26
I was only looking into this treatment for depression today - I got some that I ordered off of the internet to try. i have suffered with ongoing depression for years and I am hoping that this will be the answer to getting rid of the sad days I feel.
Thanks for posting, it's helped to put a lot of the reasons why this works so well into perspective.
Emma

I have you considered that you may be suffering from SAD ?Maybe light therapy would help

Also they have found that fish oil supplements helps depression in many cases.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 16:04

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've used st johns wort in the past with some success in treating deppression. That said I would never endorse using it without being under the supervision of a doctor. Just because it is natural does not mean it is entirely safe. It has been observed to cause liver damage, set off manic episodes in people who are bipolar, and cause severe light sensitivities.