Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 14:07

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Does the Stomach Shrink?

Stomach, as in the muscular organ where your masticated food goes for further digestion, not the midsection.

I googled up this question, and got some conflicting info. Some said the stomach doesn't shrink, and others that said it did. I always heard that if you ate less, eventually your stomach would shrink. Since its a muscle that extends when you eat, I suppose it is involved to some degree in satiation or at least the feeling of being full. I don't envision it becoming physically smaller, but maybe it becomes used to not being distended as far when you portion control, and eventually sends those "full" signals at a smaller degree is distension?

Anybody got any references on this topic? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tom sawyer : Fri, Oct-01-04 at 14:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I don't know if your stomach actually physically shrink, but I know for a fact that when you eat less, you become fuller on less. This happens pretty quickly too. Eat small portions for a few weeks and you will feel the effect. The effect is that you feel "stuffed" trying to eat a portion size that you could previously handle comfortably. Unfortunately the reverse is also true. It takes very little time till you can handle bigger portions with ease.

So in my experience it happens exactly as you describe: "I don't envision it becoming physically smaller, but maybe it becomes used to not being distended as far when you portion control, and eventually sends those "full" signals at a smaller degree is distension?

"
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The stomach STRETCHES when you overeat. It will stay this way until you let it relax by NOT overeating. When you do this, it "shrinks" back to it's "actual" size. So it's more of a "restoration to the original condition" than "shrinking". Once it's at its proper size, it won't continue to "shrink".

Make sense?