Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 08:10
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%
Question Dr. 90210 & tummy tuck?

Did anyone happen to catch the show Dr. 90210 last night? It was an excellent episode about a woman getting abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and actually showed before, during and after pictures. I was so excited with the way her saggy stomach skin was gone, that I'm seriously considering scheduling an appointment with a surgeon just to get some information. I know we've discussed this topic before, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had one done before. How much it costs? If they had to stay in the hospital? How long they were off work? Painful? Worse or similar to a cessarean, etc. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ohio Kim : Thu, Aug-26-04 at 08:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 08:20
blah

Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

My friend just had it done and is so pleased. I am also thinking that one day I will have it.

I agree any info would be great
Denine
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 09:38
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

last update on the prices was last year but it will give an idea what it would cost, it will be diffrent with diffrent doctors and such anyways
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/prices.html

this one has basic Q&A for each type of surgery
http://www.cosmeticsurgerynetwork.org/procedures.htm

& no i have not done any of them. i just saw this thread, so i went and searched for some info
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 09:44
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Thanks Crysania. Interesting.. - That answered a lot of questions.

Denine: I wondered about your friend. You said she loves it, did she have to spend much time in the hospital? Did she mention what it cost?

Last edited by Ohio Kim : Thu, Aug-26-04 at 10:18.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 11:34

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I used to be self conscious about my bulging tummy and how huge I was... now I'm self conscious about a flat tummy with saggy skin on it. YUCK! Neither one is very appealing. I've had 3 kids in 4 years which wreaks havoc on your skin, and losing 70lbs on top of that really makes things look different. The thing that frustrates me the most is that I have complete control over my diet, I can create muscle by weight lifting, I can lose fat by exercise and diet. But what the hell can I do about loose skin? I can't exercise to get rid of it, there is absolutely no cure. I hate not being able to do something about parts of my body that bother me. I've thought about a tummy tuck, but would prefer to skip the surgery. I will work my abs off and make the most rock hard tummy I can and give my body time to heal itself. Hopefully! I wasn't an extreme case though. I never started out at 400+ lbs then dropped to 130. I think those people deserve some surgical help to make them a completely beautiful person. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for listening

~ Cori ~
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 12:43

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i had one in august of 03, cost about $6000. It was definitely the best thing ive ever done.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 13:00
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:
Default Moonwalker

I'd love to get some more details. Was it very painful? Was it done inpatient? Did you just set up a payment plan or have to pay for it all at once? Your the first actual person I've heard from who's had it done, details.. details..
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 13:33

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Moonwalker....

Yes details!!! I posted a whine earlier about how unhappy I am with all the sag I am experiencing. I can live with all of it except the tummy!! I guess I could save for a few years and maybe do it but it really doesnt seem doable for me in the near future.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 13:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Get online and find local surgions in your area. Then check each one for references, education, experience and so on. Find out how many of that particular surgury do they do each year. If you go to a group office they may have thier doctors specializing to where there is one who does nothing but tucks and liposuctions.

Call the offices. Or email them with your informations and one of thier people will call you. They have people who's job it is to explain things to you. Ask if the surgury is done there or at a local surgury center. If they quote you a price find out if it includes the cost of anathesia (sp), surgury center costs, follow up treatments and so on. With a tummy tuck you will have to have a little more follow up visits because of the drains and the surgury is more expencive because of those. You also may have to figure in the costs of a hospital stay over night, hotel room if you are away from home, lost wages, and there will have to be someone there to take care of you for a few days.

Many places do have financing options though Also look up the risks of tummy tucks such as dimpling and so on. Another thing to remember is if you are still planning on having kids, wait. A pregnancy can loosen the muscles and stretch them out all over again basically making the earlier surgury a waste.

I called a doctor I really liked for costs and such. The cost they quoted me included the consultation vists, the surgury, the anathesiologist and sugury center along with after vists. They did warn if there were complications or the surgury took longer then planned the cost would go up. Also the cost of the surgury center and for the anathesiologist had to be paid on the morning of the surgury.

I think the boob job I want is something like 3-5,000 with the tummy tuck being around 2,000 more. (SO threw out my paper work the stinker) If I had them both done at once the cost is reduced due to there only being 1 surgury center and anathesiologist fee as well as the doctor reducing his for the combo.

I think I'll get the boob job in a few years and wait on the tummy until I am done having kids.

In relation to a c-section it can depend. The c-section requires the muscels to be seperated. The tummy tuck may just take place on top of the muscles making it less evasive (p). Someone on this site had one of those done. If they are going to remove any fat located under the muscles or do anything to tighten up the muscles (I seem to remember the 90210 doc doing that, but I just watched like 5 mins) then it will come with much the same limitations and such as the c-sections do. I had 2 c-sections the first unplanend and the second planend. With the ease of the second one and quick recovery time I'm not really afraid of a tuck. The drains however are different and may pose different problems.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 13:56
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Ladybell - Thank you so much for all that information. I need to spend some time making phone calls and such. I will not be having any more children, so I don't have to worry about that one. I'd love to have a boob "lift", but I'm more self-conscious of my extra belly skin. I think I can live life wearing a bra to hold 'em up. I'm definately going to take the time to make some calls before making a final decision.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 14:07

Stats: 225/215/140 Female 5'8"
BF:34/32/21
Progress: 12%

My Mother In Law just had one and the cost her in MO was about $5500, the results were phenomenal.

I want to do this procedure as well but want all the excess weight gone first, so that is my reward for the weight loss
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 17:33

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

How bad is the scarring? I have seen after pics with a scar across the entire lower abs.

I have been looking into TT as well. This sagging belly skin is too gross.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 17:47
blah

BF:

Hi

My friend just had one done last summer..swears up and down it was the best thing in her life. She never even lost weight before it was done. She basically said to the doctor this is me, I probably won't lose weight ever but can you help me anyway. and guess what she looks great.

Now here in B.C our medical will pay somewhere around half from what I understand..also the same with breast reduction if you can prove that it is causing you back pain, shoulder pain, migrains etc. My friend went through a special finance company who finances for stuff like that.....either that or it sounds like a mastercard moment to me

I have a Dr appt Sept 8 to see about a refferal..

Denine
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 19:03
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
How bad is the scarring? I have seen after pics with a scar across the entire lower abs.
I already have a c-section scar and form the sounds of it so does Kim

Quote:
Now here in B.C our medical will pay somewhere around half from what I understand..also the same with breast reduction if you can prove that it is causing you back pain, shoulder pain, migrains etc.

You have to love the Canadian health care system. I want my breasts bigger though so I know no insurance would pay for it. I wonder how you could get them to pay for a tuck. Most insurances won't pay for cosmetic, so I wonder how you can argue the tuck is a medical nessecity.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 20:40
blah

BF:

I think a tuck can be a medical necessity if you are getting a sway back like myself..at least that is what I am going to plead and get aload of this if your belly overhang causes you rashes pimples and general discomfort from excess moisture..they consider that too....
I will keep you all posted on how it goes
Denine