Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 06:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/124/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%
Question no more halitosis...

I have just noticed...yes it has taken me this long...to notice that I no longer suffer from halitosis. When I was eating carbs like there was no tomorrow, I would wake up with the worst rotten breath. I couldn't control it no matter how much I brushed. Now the worst I wake up with is ketone breath. Is this unusual?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:07

Stats: 172.0/166/145 Female 5 feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Nope, it's normal! Also, I've noticed I don't have all the" gas "
I used to have!

Last edited by luckyloser : Mon, Sep-27-04 at 07:08. Reason: punctuation
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:12
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't know about low-carb controling halitosis, but I can believe it. I think sugar feeds all kinds of nasty things in our bodies and bad breath germs might just be one of them.

That said, my breath has never been worse. The ketone breath is so terrible that I even gross myself out, much less poor DH. He has it too so kissing on the lips is not a common thing in our house anymore!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:14
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

LOL hillary, it's awful isn't it???? I can't stand that feeling of the sweet tast in my mouth either - I am so paraniod that my breath isn't knocking peopole over that I have adopted a certain way of talking to minimise keto knock out!!!
LOL BUT as for hallitosis, I can see how it would help with that!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:20

BF:

so I would assume that ketone breath dissapears in maintence? I hope....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:25
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It gets better. I am in Maintenance right now due to pregnancy, and my breath isn't as bad as it was in OWL, but it is still kinda nasty. I hope that doesn't mean I'm still in ketosis at 70-90 net carbs per day! Maybe I just always had bad breath and didn't notice it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:28
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well, I am in OWL on going weight loss and its still stinky - but not anywhere near as bad as before on induction!
Make sure you chew sugar free gum - making sure you clean your teeth and back of your tongue properly when you brush and also getting some flossing going is always a good thing.
Emma xx
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:39

Stats: 230.8/230.8/130 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default smoking...

Does anybody know if smoking covers ketobreath? I've never noticed a smell before, and I just quit smoking. (day 2) I was wondering if this is something I'm going to be able to notice now...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:47

Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

It's interesting because if anyone knows anything about food combining you will unserstand how food reacts in your system. When you mix the wrong foods together and eat the wrong foods first, some may sit in your stomach and "rot" which can cause all kinds of odors. Even though we don't actually think of us as food combining in reality we are which creates a more friendly zone for our food to digest in.
Good observation!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 09:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi New Jersey girl, I am originally from Tuckahoe,N.J. and I moved to Egg Harbor when I married my present husband. Where in N.J. are you from? I never experienced bad breath, at least my dh never commented on it and I never noticed it, but I did notice too that I don't have as much gas as I use to have. Another good side effect of this wol. LOL. Welcome to the forum. And good luck. Peg
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 09:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofattoo
Hi New Jersey girl, I am originally from Tuckahoe,N.J. and I moved to Egg Harbor when I married my present husband. Where in N.J. are you from? I never experienced bad breath, at least my dh never commented on it and I never noticed it, but I did notice too that I don't have as much gas as I use to have. Another good side effect of this wol. LOL. Welcome to the forum. And good luck. Peg

I am from Central Jersey, more specifically the Flemington Area. I know of Egg Harbor. I have eaten at couple of diners in Egg Harbor on the way to Altantic City.

I too no longer experience gas at all ever, unless I eat cucumbers or sugar alcohols.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have heard of Flemington but don't know exactly where it is. Anyway from one Jersey girl to the another, good luck on this wol. I know I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Peg
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 15:59
Registered Member

Stats: 132/125/115 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I had terrible irritable bowel, lots of spasms and pain and gas when I was eating carbs. I ate a lot of yoghurt, sometimes 3 or 4 containers a day and since I have been eating fewer carbs it has stopped almost totally. I eat sugar free cough drops for something sweet and if I eat too many I get the spasms again. This way of eating is so specific to each person.
I had stalled for a while and was eating the mock danish almost every day (I love that!).
I switched to a cheese omelet in the morning and went down another couple of pounds.
It is such a process of finding what works for your own body.