Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Let's Represent!

I was following an article on the Omnivore, which contained this observation:

"Because they can obtain little solace from the results of clinical trials, opponents of low carbohydrate diets are fond of citing the National Weight Control Registry, which was set up by Brown University researchers to record individuals who had successfully lost 30lbs or more, and successfully maintained that weight loss for 1 year or more. According to these researchers, low carbohydrate dieters are poorly represented on the Registry's database. A number of commentators have suggested, in all seriousness, that this under-representation is proof that low carbohydrate diets are incapable of successfully inducing long-term weight loss.

If the main goal of embarking on a weight loss diet was to increase one's willingness to register for national databases, then the National Weight Control Registry would certainly be of relevance. However, as a measure of the relative fat-loss efficacy of low and high carbohydrate diets, the Registry is about as scientifically valid as tarot card reading. There could be countless reasons why the names of low carbohydrate dieters appear infrequently on the Registry; to attempt to guess what these reasons might be would be just that - speculative conjecture. To cite the National Weight Control Registry, and ignore the data from randomized clinical trials that directly compare the effects of low and high carbohydrate diets reveals, not only a contemptuous disregard for the scientific method, but a new level of desperation by anti-low carbohydrate proponents as they attempt to discredit an eating pattern that directly challenges the validity of their closely-held low fat, high carbohydrate dogma."

Well, if we aren't represented here, we should be! Anyone who has kept their weight off for a year can register, and tell their story.

http://www.lifespan.org/services/bm...r/NWCR_join.htm

At the end of the year, I'm signing up! How about you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 15:02

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default I could not meet their standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
At the end of the year, I'm signing up! How about you?

I tried last year. I filled out the request form and many months later got the sign-up package. They require 'proof' of the before and current weights. The acceptable criteria are: Either a note from your doctor certifiying your weights, or before and after photos, or documents from a weight loss program such as Weight Watchers. My doctor does not weigh me. I don't have any photos of me when I was heavy and I don't belong to any formal weight loss programs. Therefore, I am excluded from the registry.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 09:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Okay, Dodger, thanks for the info. It was just a thought...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 10:15
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

I signed up.....