Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 19:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Research Sheds Light on Mad Cow

Research Sheds Light on Mad Cow

Associated Press

04:09 PM Jul. 29, 2004 PT

WASHINGTON -- California scientists say they have created the first synthetic version of a rogue protein called a prion and used it to give mice a brain-destroying infection, evidence important to settling any lingering doubt these mysterious substances alone cause mad cow disease and similar illnesses.

The report, published Thursday, won't end the scientific controversy, as skeptics already are criticizing the research.

But if the work ultimately is validated it could have far-reaching implications -- such as helping to create diagnostic tests for mad cow disease. It also could help explain why normal brain proteins suddenly go bad and sicken some people who've never eaten mad cow-tainted food.

The work marks "a renaissance in prion research," said Dr. Stanley Prusiner of the University of California, San Francisco, who won a Nobel Prize for discovering prions and whose laboratory developed the synthetic version. "It opens huge new vistas that were previously inaccessible," he said.

Related diseases -- including mad cow, scrapie in sheep and the human Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease , or CJD -- are believed to arise when a protein the body normally harbors folds into an abnormal shape, called a prion, and sets off a chain reaction of misfolds that eventually leaves clumps of dead brain cells.

But skeptics have long questioned if these bad proteins truly act alone. Unlike viruses or bacteria, prions contain no genetic material, once thought crucial to cause infection. Repeated attempts at definitive proof of prion infectiousness have failed.

Now, UCSF neurologist Giuseppe Legname and colleagues report in the journal Science that they created a manmade prion, free of any brain tissue, that proved infectious.

They grew fragments of harmless normal protein in bacteria, purified them and flattened them into the abnormal prion shape. Then they injected the substance into brains of seven mice. It took over a year, but eventually all got sick.

The research "validates this biological process for which (Prusiner) got the Nobel Prize," said Dr. Andrew Monjan, neurobiology chief at the National Institute on Aging, which funded the work.

"It's terrific" work, added Dr. Richard T. Johnson, a Johns Hopkins University neurobiologist. "We kept saying, 'Synthesize one, that's the ultimate test.' This looks like it worked."

Critics, however, are raising complaints. Among their concerns are that laboratory contamination with another prion strain may have sickened the animals, and that the synthetic protein was tested in genetically engineered mice that may have been particularly prone to illness.

"I don't think it's a proven thing. I don't think this paper is clean," said Dr. Laura Manuelidis, a Yale University neuropathologist. "If something is really there in science, it is there in a major way, it's not something you have to coax out of hiding."

Genetically engineered mice show signs of mad cow-like illnesses earlier in life than regular mice, Legname responded, but he plans to test them, too.

If the research holds up, the ability to work with synthetic prions in test tubes could help scientists develop early tests to diagnose mad cow-like diseases.

Moreover, such research also may finally reveal how the protein morphs from normal to killer and thus shed light on the human illness called "classic CJD," Johnson said.

Mad cow disease makes headlines because eating tainted beef is linked to 150 human illnesses worldwide, most in Britain, of what's been named "variant CJD." But 250 Americans alone each year get the classic illness, which sometimes is inherited or caught from tainted medical equipment, but usually arises for no known reason, to families' unbelieving despair.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0...tw=wn_tophead_3
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 02:59

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
Critics, however, are raising complaints. Among their concerns are that laboratory contamination with another prion strain may have sickened the animals, and that the synthetic protein was tested in genetically engineered mice that may have been particularly prone to illness.

"I don't think it's a proven thing. I don't think this paper is clean," said Dr. Laura Manuelidis, a Yale University neuropathologist. "If something is really there in science, it is there in a major way, it's not something you have to coax out of hiding."

The complaints sound pretty weak. On what basis do they contend that laboratory contamination took place. And if it is there contention that prions aren't infectious, then whether or not the mice used were prone to illness shouldn't have mattered. And lot's of things in science have had to be coaxed out of hiding, especially at first.

The criticism that I would have, based on the material presented, is that they apparently didn't have a control group. They should have taken some of their bacteria-grown protein and handled it the same way except for the flattening of the strands and injected that in to the brains of at least 10% to 50% of the mice marking each mouse in some way to be able to identify which serum it got only after the study ran its course. Otherwise, perhaps what killed all the mice was having a needle shoved into their brains and a bunch of goop injected.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 07:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I like the theory that links the disease to organic phosphate poisoning. After all, these pesticides do target nerve tissue, and they explain the vegetarian victims better:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/10/mad_cow.htm
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 07:37

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
Otherwise, perhaps what killed all the mice was having a needle shoved into their brains and a bunch of goop injected.

Good one. I've read the studies questioning whether it's caused by environmetal factors and it seemed pretty presuasive to me. Especially since the related diseases often seem to have no common cause other than environmental, especially in England -- some of the people who got sick never ate beef.

To me a lot of these experiments and studies are setup as "self fullfilling prophesies." They don't try to find out whether or not something is true. They are trying to prove that it is true. There's a big difference in mindset and it affects methods.

In this case, they wanted to prove that their synthetic prion was the "cause" of mad cow disease -- not to find out if it did or didn't -- so they tailored their experiment in such a way that if the mice got sick it could only be because of the prions.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 09:25
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
Then they injected the substance into brains of seven mice. It took over a year, but eventually all got sick.

It took over a year? A lot can happen in a year that can't be controlled.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
I like the theory that links the disease to organic phosphate poisoning. After all, these pesticides do target nerve tissue, and they explain the vegetarian victims better:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/10/mad_cow.htm

Just one problem, prion diseases have been around a lot longer than pesticides.

Another thing to consider is that vegetarians more than likely use products derived from bovines like Jello (geletin is made from rendered cow parts), possibly lipstick and cosmetics, lots of supplements contain stuff that comes from animals. I recently heard that Glucosamine Chondroitin is made from cows. All those amino acid supplements people talk might well be as well.

Prions are difficult to destroy. When the animal dies, the prions don't -- they aren't alive so they can't die. I think they just go into the soil. Dunno what happens to them after that.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jul-30-04 at 10:05.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 12:21

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
I like the theory that links the disease to organic phosphate poisoning.

Other causes (link) have been cited for BSE. I find them pretty compelling. The trouble is that mainstream science has "decided" that the cause is prions and they're not looking anywhere else.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 13:50

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

...perhaps what killed all the mice was having a needle shoved into their brains and a bunch of goop injected.

Good point!