Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 02:04

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Empty calories - Analyst warns low-carb diet craze waning

CBS Marketwatch.com
29 June, 2004

CHICAGO (CBS.MW) - "The second day of a diet is always easier than the first," Jackie Gleason once said, because "by the second day, you're off it."

While the low-carb diet craze seem to have somewhat more staying power, one food and beverage industry analyst suggested this week that the fad may well have peaked and could soon see much slower growth.

In a note to investors Monday, Wachovia's Jonathan Feeney cited "data from credible companies, a persistent split in the medical community and some weak specialty retail" figures as indications that "low-carb diet adoption rates in the U.S. are slowing."

That could provide relief for companies in high-carb categories, he continued, "provided the execution and competitive outlook are strong."

However, he cautioned, it is "not evidence of a reversal. We think the popularity of low-carb diets will have durable effects on some categories, but that trends are decelerating. This is sustained good news for the protein complex," including Tyson (TSN: news, chart, profile), Smithfield (SFD: news, chart, profile) and Hormel (HRL: news, chart, profile) and "sustained bad news for industries such as pasta and bakery where a sudden and unforeseen drop in demand has now created a need for painful rationalization."

To back that up, Feeney referred to consumer studies cited recently by PepsiCo (PEP: news, chart, profile) and Kellogg (K: news, chart, profile) indicating a slowdown in new dieters but "without any evidence of a quick reversal of negative trends in carb-heavy-categories."

He also he noted the "relative sparseness of medical evidence" that low-carb diets assist people in losing weight - one factor that has kept the ultimate food arbiter - the Food & Drug Administration - from giving the diets its stamp of imprimatur.

Feeney speculated that a half-hearted approach by dieters, leading to poor results, is also contributing to a slowdown as "peaks of diet fads are usually reached when enough people have tried and failed and failed to lose weight."

That hypothesis is born out by some of the available data, perhaps most notably a survey of 11,000 adults earlier this year by the NPD Group. Among its findings were that even among the "small fraction of the population [that] actually followed a lower-carb diet" - roughly 10 million Americans -- few were doing it properly.

NPD reported that adults who are cutting carbs are still eating an average of 128 grams of refined carbs a day, which is "considerably higher than the 20 to 50 grams of carbs per day some low-carb diets recommend for weight loss."

Said Feeney: "People want fast results without much effort. The low carb diets may just be another fad as people don't see results from their limited efforts and give up."

And, ironically, the low-carb diet may well become something of a victim of its own success as food companies rush to roll out new products to cash in on it.

"Variety and volume attract consumers to buy and eat more - thus interfering with their weight loss," Feeney noted.

Of course, whether or not the low-carb diet trend just slows down or fades out, it is almost certain to come back: Food fads come and go and come back with regularity, Feeney said, and "low-carb dieting has been around has been around for over a century."

To illustrate, he compiled a list of some 17 different diet plans dating back to 1862 and ranging from 1929's "Eskimo-Style Meat-Only Diet" (meat, fat, coffee and water) to last year's "South Beach." Even the Atkins Diet - the most popular of the current low-carb plans - has been around since the early 1970s.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/sto...gle&dist=google
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 07:42

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

My prediction is that yes, there will be some slacking of lower carb food (aka frankenfood) sales and thus some analysts will declare low carb dead. What will really happen is that because of the hype, a greater number of people will try it. Out of this group, a large percentage will not do it correctly, (150 g! sheesh!) but there will be a certain percentage that do, and will be successful at it. This will increase the growing bulk (pun intended) of people that are successful on the diet. It's really going to be word of mouth that spreads this way of eating, and so the greater the number who are doing it successfully, then the number of people exposed to it in a successful context will grow, and I don't think it will be a linear growth! In other words, it goes back to the old shampoo commercial where a person told two friends and they told two friends and so on and so forth.

What this "craze" will do is to give an artificial lift to this process. Instead of hearing it from a person they know, a lot of these people will hear about it in the media and investigate it themselves. Once they start it, and it's the right diet for them and they do it correctly, they'll be successful. Then they become nodes of "infection" to educate their friends. It's a process that once it gets past a certain threshold, it takes off extremely rapidly. I'm sure anybody on the list more knowledgable of infectious diseases could give more details. I'm just working off of a class years ago on plagues in history. But this is a benevolent, voluntary plague. (unless you're a potato grower or a sugar company)

Give it time, some of the hype will fade, some of the products will die down, but what will be left will be a larger matrix of success stories to build from then before the hype.

That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it!

Plane Crazy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

I hate the word "craze" used by people trying to diss. LC eating.

But consider the source.

To back that up, Feeney referred to consumer studies cited recently by PepsiCo (PEP: news, chart, profile) and Kellogg (K: news, chart, profile) indicating a slowdown in new dieters but "without any evidence of a quick reversal of negative trends in carb-heavy-categories.

Kellogg's is getting killed. Pepsi owns Frito-lay, doesn't it? Pepsi has really kno LC products on the market.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 10:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

One thing that I have noticed is that since I have started low-carbing, I no longer buy many boxed/canned products. I eat mostly fresh/frozen meats and vegetables. I don't buy the low-carb replacement foods (i.e. low-carb breads, pasta, etc.). All the manufactured food companies have lost my business. No matter what products they come up with, they will not get it back.

Last edited by Dodger : Wed, Jun-30-04 at 12:12.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 10:39
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I'm with you there, Dodger. I stick to whole foods more than ever now, doesn't mean I stopped low carbing
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
All the manufactured food companies have lost my business. No matter what products they come up with, they will not get it back.

DAMN! That's the spirit!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 11:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm definitely not buying as much packaged food. Just dairy, occassional loafs of LC bread. Everything else is meat and veggies! Mostly veggies.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 14:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

This isn't analytical data - it's gossip. Remind me not to invest with Wachovia. The NPD group has been trying to dig itself out of a hole ever since last December when it first predicted the decline of low-carb. The following abstract from Opinion Dynamics is probably closer to the truth.

Quote:
Updated Low-Carb Results
Posted 6-9-04

The Success of Low-Carb Diets

Two of the major debates regarding low-carbohydrate diets involve the success of the diets and the future of the diets. First, do low-carb diets work? That is, do people who follow low-carb diets actually lose weight, and if so, do they usually keep it off? Second, has the popularity of the diet already peaked? Is the incidence of people on low-carb diets decreasing?

These questions are at the heart of ongoing debates within the food industry and the media. On one hand, many experts agree that people who closely follow low-carb diets exactly as recommended in such well known diet plans as the Atkins or South Beach diets, should lose weight. On the other hand, many experts also agree that people rarely follow diets exactly as recommended. It is suspected that low-carb diets, as actually practiced, do not lead most people to lose weight. Many experts think that dieters do not go far enough in reducing their carb intake, or calorie intake, to actually lose weight. Furthermore, it is also suggested that low-carb dieters who have lost weight typically gain it back a short time later.

It is felt by some that this lack of success has already led to decreased interest in low-carb diets. Several experts in consumer behavior believe that the popularity of low-carb diets has already peaked, and that the market for low-carb products has begun to shrink.

Opinion Dynamics Corporation has studied these and other questions over the past several months by conducting monthly surveys on low-carb behavior. Each survey consisted of questions added to a random national telephone omnibus survey of 900 residents aged 18 and over. The surveys have been conducted independently - no outside organization paid for any of the low-carb research. The first study was conducted in December 2003, and the most recent study was conducted in May 2004. Questions on low-carb behavior were asked of those people who have tried a low-carb diet over the past two years, accounting for 24% of the US adult population, according to our most recent survey.

Our research shows that the popularity of low-carb diets has remained stable over the past several months, and has not decreased, as several commentators have asserted. Our research also shows that low-carb diets have proven effective for losing weight, not just in theory, but in practice as well.

General Findings

The percentage of the public currently on a low-carb diet has remained remarkably stable over the past six months, at 12% of US adults. This figure has neither increased nor decreased significantly since December, 2004.
The latest study shows that most people who try low-carb diets say that they were successful in losing weight. Over three-quarters (78%) of those who have tried a low-carb diet in the past two years say they lost weight as a result of the diet.
Two-thirds (66%) of those who reported losing weight say they continue to lose weight, or have kept the weight off. Only 22% of those who lost weight say that they regained some of the weight, and only 9% say that they regained all the weight.
The median amount of weight lost on low-carb diets is approximately 16 pounds; 46% say they lost less than 16 pounds, while 50% say they lost more than that amount.
Low-carb diets are now seen as more effective than low-fat diets for short-term weight loss by a plurality of the public; 39% say that low-carb diets are more effective for losing weight, and 34% say that low-fat diets are more effective for losing weight. Low-fat diets are still seen by a majority of the public as a healthier long-term lifestyle.

for the rest of this article see:

http://www.opiniondynamics.com/lowcarb.html#top
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 15:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I probably don't buy as many low carb products as I did when they first came out, but I do buy some for use by my whole family such as the low carb Special K, Natural Ovens Bakeries bread and bagels, Carb Smart Ice cream and Carb Control yogurt as well as the new Dreamfields pasta and Carb Options garden sauce. Most of these things I use only rarely, but my DH and kids eat them a lot more (kids don't need to lose weight and DH has a higher metabolism and carb tolerance than I do).
The majority of our meals are still fresh meat and fresh or frozen veggies. If they're basing the rise or decline of low carb on how well the low carb products are selling, they may not be getting a completely accurate picture of the popularity (or lack of it) of low carbing since it's quite possible to low carb without any of those products, sticking only to fresh meat and produce.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 16:10

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

Maybe the "experts" just THINK there are fewer people on low carb programs because we're all thinner.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 19:49

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
One thing that I have noticed is that since I have started low-carbing, I no longer buy many boxed/canned products. I eat mostly fresh/frozen meats and vegetables. I don't buy the low-carb replacement foods (i.e. low-carb breads, pasta, etc.). All the manufactured food companies have lost my business. No matter what products they come up with, they will not get it back.

Same here! And I've never felt better!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 20:01

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette

I've found the only low-carb frankenfood I'll eat is about once every two weeks I'll go to TCBY and have a tiny, junior cup of their low-carb lovers ice cream product thing. It actually does have cream in it. I wrote to them and got the ingredients. It's not too bad. The only real problem thing in there are the artificial sweenters. They've actually veered away from their normal Bad Fat, Naughty Fat line and added a fair amount of cream and fat back into it. I haven't had TCBY in ages until my wife dragged me there about a month back. I saw the low-carb lovers and tried it. It actually tastes a heck of a lot better than their other stuff because it's actually got real cream and real fat in it.

Other than that, I stick to whole food. Ever since I had an Atkins Peanut Butter Cup some weeks ago and it caused me to move into the bathroom, I've sworn off all other frankenfoods. They taste better anyway.

Plane Crazy
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 22:27

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%
Default Fake LC

I hate it when I someone tells me that they are on atkins or low carb and when I ask them what phase they are on, they have no idea what I am talking about
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 313/300/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

The only LC frankenfoods I buy are the "Low Carb Diet" brand bars (the s'mores flavor is my favorite), and then only if I know I will be in a situation where I won't be able to eat a real meal (eg, being on a plane). I did try the Atkins bread last Thanksgiving and thought it was yummy toasted, slathered with butter, and topped with hot turkey and flourless gravy - in fact I loved it so much that I don't buy it because it's too easy to eat too much of it.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 04:16

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

maybe just wishful thinking on the HC producers' part??? If they get the word out that people are not LCing anymore because it doesn't work, less people will try it??

I totally agree that the market 'study' would be skewed if based solely on sales of LC products.

I only buy the Heinz 1-carb ketchup and carb options sweet tomato dressing (2 bottles in 7 months) and I've tried a few other products just out of curiosity but find I do much better (not to mention feel 1000% better) if I don't buy them. They definitely trigger cravings for 'the real thing'.

In solidarity
Nicole