Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Pierre's LC Ice cream

I ate some LC ice cream yesterday and it knocked me out of Ketosis and I gained 4 lbs. I haven't changed my stats yet. I'm hoping it's just water weight but if it isn't gone tomorrow I will know for sure that I actually gained it. This is the first gain I have had since the end of April. I'm a bit upset about it but not enough to get over discouraged. Just thought I would let you all know that the ice cream was a no no.
Now I need to step things up. My husband will be home on June 21st and I would love to be down to 199 by then. I am probably asking too much from myself with that but then again, I don't think it will hurt to try.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 19:10

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Yes, most likely water weight--and it may take a couple of days to move. I've had water take three days to finally go away. It's a good rule of thumb to increase water intake when you're retaining--it moves a little faster that way.

Nasty ice cream, anyway! If it makes you gain water like that, sounds like you need to count all the carbs in it, even the sugar alcohols. Over the past month or so I've stepped back and taken a serious look at products with sugar alcohols, and am eating them even less now than I was before. If I'm desperate I can make something at home instead of depending on what the store carries.

Oops! Editing because I forgot to say, best to you in reaching 199 before your hubby gets back. I sure hope you make it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 19:31

BF:

I definitely think I have to look at sugar alcohols! I have increased my water...feel like I am going to explode!!!
I hope I make it, too!!! Thanks! I was worried about the weight gain...I sure hope it is water.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 154/133/136 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress: 117%
Default Sugar Alcohols = Non-fiber carbs

I think the whole sugar alcohol thing is a scam. If it's not fiber, I count it as a carb.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 19:40

BF:

I think I am going to go with that theory now, too.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 20:08

Quote:
If it's not fiber, I count it as a carb.

Yep, me too. The thing is with this stuff they can get away with saying it's sugar-free or low-carb because of the sugar alcohols. Studies are finding more and more that while those sugar alcohols aren't absorbed as rapidly as sugar (thereby having a lesser effect on blood sugar) they are indeed metabolized. Some are metabolized more than others, and some people metabolize certain ones more than other people do. Basically the only sugar alcohols that don't need counted are the ones that cause stomach upsets and diarrhea because they move through the body (And who wants to eat something that does that to them?). In other words, if on of the SAs doesn't cause misery, you need to count all the carbs.

NKA, it's gotta be water, because a person can't gain that much fat that fast. Just hang in there--it'll go away.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 20:19

BF:

I definitely didn't have the toilet thing going on...you know, that is weird, too because I used to always run for the toilet when I ate regular ice cream...
Thanks for the support! I guess you are right. It would be pretty difficult to gain that much fat over night, LOL! Tomorrow is my off day from exercise and now I am wondering if I should just work out anyway.
Damn those sugar alcohols! I love ice cream. It was hard enough to say good bye to my favourite food (cake) and now ice cream, too. Oh well, a thinner me is more delicious than that stuff anyhow, I suppose.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:26

NKA, I don't think you'll end up not ever being able to have a little ice cream at times. Breyer's makes a superb LC ice cream (Carb Smart) and the SAs in it don't make it such a horrible thing to have a little bit (about 1/4 cup) and count the sugar alcohols. My oldest daughter makes sundaes with it--1/4 cup chocolate Carb Smart topped with 1/4 cup of mashed strawberries and a tablespoon or so of chopped nuts.

The thing is, after going without this kind of thing for so long we've really learned how to relish just a little bit of it. In our house are four people on Atkins and a 6-year-old. One carton of Carb Smart will last at least a month, and that's with the little guy eating most of it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 06:31

BF:

I tried their ice cream before and wasn't real fond of it although, nothing is worse than Ben And Jerry's. That stuff tasted like freezer burnt ice...no flavour at all. My kids refuse to eat it, too, LOL! My 9 year old is picky anyway. She already has a weight problem and I can't get her to eat right. She literally sits at the table and cries. This is a whole other issue though. I figure I can't help her until I help myself. I definitely don't want to be hypocritical.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 07:13

BF:

Okay, I am back down to where I was again. Makes me mad though! I bet I Could have actually lost some if I didn't eat that crap!