Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/131/119 Female 5ft 6.5"
BF:2Terrified to know
Progress:
Default Grapefruit - The Wonder Fruit?

Its been reported in the papers over here today that pop princess Kylie keeps slim and trim by eating a low carb diet with loads of grapefruit. They have included a diet plan that says it will lose you loads of weight in a short space of time. The diet includes half a grapefruit or 8oz of grapefruit juice with brekkie, lunch and dinner. It says that the grapefruit has fat-burning enzymes and low carb value and that the grapefuit contains less calories than it takes to eat it! I'm intrigued (and a little tempted to try it) but am afraid in case it knocks me out of ketosis and back to the dreaded beginning again. So, has anyone else heard of this grapefruit thing? And even if you havent, does anyone know if a glass of grapefuit juice 3 times a day will put me over 20g of carbs?

Caz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 07:04

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Just ONE cup will put you over the limit.
An 8 oz glass of grapfruit juice has 22g of carb. Not a good choice, IMO. Also, one small grapfruit has 14 net carbs. I'd skip it unless you're in maintainance and have some carbs to spare.

~Angi~
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 07:42

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

This is so funny that you have this. I worked with a girl who has lost almost 90 lbs by doing low carb. However, she told me that she drank an 8 oz. thing of grapefruit juice after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She lost like her weight in about 10 months.

Now, I am not saying that this is the way to go. But this is what she did and she said that she did not plateau in the process. I do believe the grapefruit juice probably aided her in her weightloss, although I cannot explain what exactly in the juice helped.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 07:46

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Angi is right, I wouldn't try it if you are on induction, it will definitely throw you out of ketosis and bring you well over the 20g of carbs for the day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 07:48

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I have a 1/2 grapefruit w/splenda every so often. Does it knock me out of ketosis? Don't know since I rarely use the stix but I have not seen an accellaration in weight loss either....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 225/219/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I miss grapefruit, I plan on adding a morning 1/2 back in when I move on to OWL.

But I am working too hard right now to risk the carbs...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:44

Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:46.1%
Progress: 10%

There was a very popular diet going around a few years ago. The "Mayo Clinic Diet" (which happens to be in MN--probably why I came across it) that was supposedly for heart patients who had to lose a lot of weight before surgery. I am sure that there were several versions of this diet, but the one I saw, and tried, was basically Atkins, with unsweetened grapefruit juice before each meal. It did work.

I guess it would be a matter of deciding which diet you want to follow. I think it would kick you out of ketosis, but you should (and I stress should, not will) lose weight all the same. It's just a different method.

This thread caught my eye because I am TTC and don't want to be in ketosis, but still want to lose weight. As it happens I bought grapefruit juice last night. It has 25 carbs per cup.

If Atkins is working for you, I would stick with it. If not, you may want to try it. As I said, I did lose weight on this in the past, however, I lost weight faster on Atkins.

Then again, it may all be a hoax, who knows!! Just the fact that you are cutting out the "junk" carbs could cause the weight loss, not the juice.

Last edited by MsBrisby : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 09:05.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:47
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

One caveat -- the "takes more calories to burn it than it contains" is a fallacy. Sorry :-< The problem is that people don't understand the difference between calories, little c, and Calories, big C. Calories, big C, are actually kilocalories -- one big-C calorie is worth 1000 little-c calories. When you talk about a food having this many calories, it's big-C kilocalories. So if half a grapefruit has 40 calories, according to FitDay, it actually has 40,000 little-c calories. This was going around with drinking scotch on the rocks -- the idea being that warming it up to body temperature takes more calories than the scotch contains. But the calories needed for warming are "worth" 1/1000 of the calories the scotch contains. So it doesn't work.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:19

Stats: 136/131/119 Female 5ft 6.5"
BF:2Terrified to know
Progress:

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll stick with Atkins for the mo. Im actually not a big fan of grapefruit juice anyways but I'd drink it if I thought it would speed the old fat burnin! I guess I'll just see how it goes with Dr. A.

Thanks again . . ..
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

They DO have grapefuit "pills", and I've read that something in the enzymes is supposed to burn fat faster. I'm not going to chance it, either. I like grapefruit, but fruit juice tends to set off cravings for me. All that sugar, I suppose.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:14
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I wouldn't chance it, either.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:29
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I always wonder about those articles on celebrities and their diets. Do they also include that most of them have personal trainers and that they workout for hours? Not usually.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 17:21

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Grapefruit is one of the lower glycemic index fruits that can be added back in pre-maintenance, per DANDR. I would guess that this celebrity diet is probably not really "low" carb, but moderate carb. Maybe more low-fat than low-carb I would presume to think.

The house I grew up in had a grapefruit tree in the back yard. In the morning I would go outside and pick my breakfast off the tree, and then eat it over the sink because it was so juicy. I love grapefruit, and miss them. I am looking forward to pre-maintenance!

Bookery - love your caffeine molecule avatar! Your profile says you're a student - from your knowledge of cal vs. kcal vs. Cal I would think a chemistry major?

Joan
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Be careful grapefruit blocks some medicines.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:36

Plan: Atkins, SB
Stats: 215/215/175 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

There's a chemical in grapefruit, and the name will come to me 5 minutes after I post this. It starts with an N. In any case, it inhibits the bodys p-450 enzyme, which among other things breaks down medications and chemicals in the body. A single grapefruit won't hurt, but those crazy grapefruit diets can. Many people who have worked in emergency rooms have stories of people who became toxic on medications due to being on a grapefruit diet. Since the body can't break down the medication, their blood levels just go up and up. Also, some of the fat burners try to capitalize on this by including this chemical. It would theoretically take your body longer to break down the caf/ephedrine or whatever else was in it. Since it takes a few grapefruits to make a glass of juice, the level would be higher, but probably not to the level of an all grapefruit diet.