Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/205/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:ACKK!! Dunno...
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Questions about NET carbs (etc..)

First I want to say thank you to all who have offered advice. I've only been coming on since Friday and I appreciate all who've tried to help me along so far. I have been a bit disappointed with my results as far as loss, but I don't feel as bloated and tired as I did before I started the lc. I haven't lost what I thought I would have by now but I'll keep trying.
I'm wondering why some are warning me about hot dogs and other foods? The packages say "0" carbs and also the diet pop says "0" carbs. Why would'nt I be able to consume these products. I have been having a really hard time finding foods I like to eat on the induction and I'm wondering if I'm not consuming enough calories? Can that cause me to not lose weight? I have been so strict with my carbs and I don't understand why I'm not melting away
Yesterday was tough. A woman I know at work has been on lc for quite awhile. I told her I was really craving something sweet and she gave me an Atkins low carb bar. On the front it said "net carbs 2" but on the back it said total carbs 15- I asked her about it and she started to go on about having to subtract sugar alcohols and ...(then I went to my "happy place" because I have no head for math I don't know- I just feel discouraged because I see people on here losing 10 to 15 lbs in a week and I've lost 1. What am I doing wrong? What about relacore and OOO I've been reading about on here? What are those products for? Do they block carbs? Are they natural diuretics?
Any input would be great - thanks for being here...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:47

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

First of all don't feel discouraged. Everybody is different, my first time doing atkins I lost 9 pounds in my first 2 weeks, this time around I lost 2 the first week and gained 1 the second. Also have you measured? It is very possible you are losing inches instead of pounds. Do your clothes feel different? One thing I must stress to you is to do a CLEAN induction. This is probably why people are telling you to watch out for hotdogs and other things that are not "real" foods. You may want to reread the book. You should NOT be having low carb bars during induction. The point of induction is to teach you to eat WHOLE NATURAL foods and avoid junk food (this includes LC junkfood). Best is to stick with the basics.

Eggs
cheese
Meats
Chicken
Fish
veggies
and more veggies

Also you may want to put down a typical days menu so we can see if there are other problems to you not losing, like not enough food or veg or too much salt, or things like that.

Keep the faith and we'll help as much as we can.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:34

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Read this about Net carbs
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859
What is your daily calorie count? Eating too few calories will cause you to stall. Check out BMR.
http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
Calculate your BMR then multiple by your activity level. shoot for 10-15% less than the adjusted rate.
Jag