Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 07:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%
Question Is this really possible?

What is happening to me? Is it physically possible to gain 14 pounds in 4 days? I admit I havent been eating like I should but not majorly. Just more food. I have been sooooooooooo stressed! I ate two flat tortillas in the last two days and tons of whipped cream! Tuna salad was my main course for the last three dinners! Does this seem unreal for me to gain that much that quickly? Well, I am doing a diluted juice fast for at least three days to try and correct this problem! Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 08:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation hmmm ...

Well, I gained 15 lbs in 4 WEEKS last winter ... side effect of a medication

Other possibilities ... your scales are not accurate. My old scales were terrible, I could step on and off them and get a different reading that varied by 5 lbs each time. Even something as silly as bare feet vs. with shoes can make a difference

- are you weighing obsessively numerous times through the day?? I normally weigh more late in the day than first thing in the morning; in fact I've seen me gain 8 lbs in a day. I stopped weighing myself, since it was always temporary, and all it did was upset me. Best to pick a time of day to weigh, and do it at the same time each time. Better still, only weigh once a week.

- constipated??? That can cause a lot of bloating and fluid retention problems. Check out my article Low-Carbing and Intestinal Health from Low Carb Tips on the gold menu bar at the top .. to find some solutions if that's a problem

- fluid retention due to eating a lot of salty, processed foods, MSG etc ....

- PMS bloating??

It's highly unlikely that you've gained 14 lbs of FAT in that time, but the screwed up eating patterns can make you retain water. A few days of strict Induction, with lots of leafy salads and fiber veggies should get things back on track.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 09:00

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

It's very possible to gain that much of water weight. If I eat wheat, I can gain 10 pounds in two days. Then in a week of being back on track, I can lose it again. The calories involved don't count--it's the food sensitivity that does.

Don't do a juice fast--that's drinking pure sugar with no protein. Your insulin levels will be high, your blood sugar spiking then plummeting, and so you'll be hungry and likely feel pretty bad. Because of the insulin levels, you'd be unlikely to burn fat, either. If your calories were too low, you could also slow your metabolic rate

Think long term and try to purge yourself of the old "diet" mentality. You've drifted off for a bit, now get right back to the plan, healthy green veggies and meat and eggs in reasonable amounts. Don't go hungry to punish yourself. We didn't get fat in a day (the scale, remember weights bone, water, undigested food, and fat--not just fat) and the process of taking it off will be a long one, too.

Think of this as a great learning experience. The foods you ate off program are likely ones you should never eat again (like wheat and corn and sugar are for me). That's great data to have collected! Now you can use it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 10:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Is this really possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrstnHrpr
Well, I am doing a diluted juice fast for at least three days to try and correct this problem! Any other suggestions?

Don't do the juice fast, diluted or not!! Razzle is right, you'll just end up hungrier than when you started. Go back to square one and start induction again. If you "gained" it in 4 days its mostly water and you'll get rid if it just as fast.

Keep your chin up!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks for the suggestions Doreen but none of them apply. I just bought a new scale two weeks ago. I already had some of my "juice" I mixed 8oz of natural grape juice with 25 oz of spring water and that is all I am going to have today along with at least 5 liters of plain water. I did not bring any food with me today so I guess I am stuck with the juice. I dont know if it will spike my insulin levels since I am sipping on it radomly throughout the day and not drinking it all at once. Maybe I should have done the fat fast?