Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:03

Plan: IF & atkinish
Stats: 191/180.1/150 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Does anyone else here not cook?

Okay, I think I've done well on this WOE, but one thing I have a hard time doing is cooking. (I can make killer hard boiled eggs ) I have to admit I eat out A LOT, but I haven't had a problem with finding low carb food to eat at restaurants and modifying menu choices. Is anyone else around here not a low carb Martha Stewart and have been successful with Atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/165/165 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't cook but thanks to my friend Sandra I eat well.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I cook only a little and I HATE EVERY MINUTE OF IT! I usually end up cooking for DH and the kids and eating lots of broiled chicken or fish and veggies for my dinner.

I have yet to try all these nifty low-carb recipes because I'm such a lousy cook that I'd probably screw them up.

I'd rather cut the grass or scoop the kitty litter than cook. Seriously!

You are not alone. I get lots of nifty salads from Subway and other places when I eat out and I love those.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:10

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I don't cook much, but I can grill meat and nuke veggies. My microwave has a bacon button. And I do resort to Subway sometimes, since they have those nice wraps.

Low carbing has made me cook more, but I do eat better, all the way around; better tasting, better for me, better for my figure. And you know, the more you do it, the quicker you can get it over with.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:15

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

The hardest part of this WOE for me has been the cooking. And I'm not talking Martha Stewart cooking, either! I used sissors and my teeth to rip open just about everything we ate, and cooking "raw" took a lot of adjustment. No wonder we were so unhealthy...now I "really" read lables and am horrified at what we were putting into our systems. Frankly, it just doesn't take that much time to cook a chicken breast, fix a salad, and steam a vegtable. A lot less time than going into a resturant and waiting for food that may or may not be any good and cost a lot more than fixing at home. I don't like to cook and never have, but after a LOT of attitude adjustment on my part, I realize I am better off doing it myself. I keep it simple and therefore, fast.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:34

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Cooking takes TIME...which is something we all do not have!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:19
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Thank heaven for the bags of Trader Joe's frozen chicken wings, bagged salad, and home-dehydrated beef. I hate to cook and I am terrible at it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Frozen foods and a microwave. Need I say more?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I don't cook much, but I do intend on trying out a few recipes sometime soon, just to prove to my unbelieving parents that I eat more than boiled eggs. I bought the Atkins cookbook and I am going to put it with the rest of the cookbooks here so that maybe my dad, who cooks the most, will try one.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 17:08

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%
Default I gave birth to children so ....

..... I wouldn't have to cook now. I have trained my teenage sons how to cook, and now I rarely have to cook. When my sons are not at my house I eat out, have salads, or fix food that takes a minimum of cooking.

If I do have to cook something I will cook in batches and freeze the cooked food.

Joan
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:43

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

If it were not for my BEST FRIEND by the name of George Foreman, the grill maker, I would starve! or be a vegatarian.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:58

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

It's so nice that others are "cooking challenged". It seems like all my friends (high carbers) are fabulous cooks. You know, the kind of people who make up dishes and never have to measure stuff.

I learned to cook when I started Atkins. Well, barely cooking. But I learned to broil meat and fish and toss together some salad. I make a mean feta cheese and tomato omelet whereas I had never made any eggs other than hard boiled before. My biggest deal was making buffalo chicken wings. Yummy. Especially since I make 2 pounds at a time and they don't have the yucky breading that is on so many wings from restaurants. Recipes from the atkins site along with the cookbook are a big help when you want to make cooking into something to do on a rainy day.

Cooking still scares me, but I face my fear now. It's part of carb warfare.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 19:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am the family joke about cooking. All my family have a full supper each and every night. My girls and I are snackers. We like to eat alittle at a time. I can cook and sometimes I like to cook but never on a daily basis. YUCK too much work and then after you spend all that time cooking you have to clean up.
I eat alot of omelttes, I go to Wendy's about twice a week. I buy probably one roasted chicken a week and the rest of the time I filll in with eggs, fried hamburger and stuff like that. At least once a week I have a BLT on low carb bread for supper. I have always thought eggs and bacon were perfect for supper.
angie
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 20:16

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

LOL! You're all just too funny! My mom told me my whole life I'd never learn to cook. Well, she was wrong. Still, since starting Atkins we've found we enjoy keeping our meals simple: broiled, roasted or fried meats with sides of veggies, or one-dish meals like stir-fries, and the occasional taco salad. It's a pretty lazy and easy way to cook, but it tastes good!

Before Atkins we were typical cookers with some convenience products added. We'd fix a roast with all the fixin's (potatoes, carrots, cabbage). Now we fix a roast with cabbage (a lot less work!). We ate stir-fries before, but always had rice or noodles to go with them, and usually a thickened sauce on it. Now we just do the stir-fry, no rice, noodles or sauce (again, a lot less work!).

After spending years in the kitchen fixing dinner almost every night and actually being to the point of being tired of it, Atkins has given me an excuse to be lazy!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 20:23

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

I never cook. Occasionally i'll make an egg for breakfast but really not often. I eat cold foods for the most part.