Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking LCing and Dental Health

I know this has been discussed before, but I have to share this little story.

Today, after YEARS of procrastination, I finally got over my dentistphobia, found a dentist, made an appointment and sat in The Big Chair.

I was dreading it not only because I hate being at the dentist, but I was sure that by now, my teeth would be in bad shape.

What do you think the dentist had to say about my teeth, which haven't been professionally examined or cleaned in 8 years? *gulp*

He said they looked fantastic!! *ding!* He commented, "you obviously don't have any bad habits!" I didn't go into the details of LCing, but I proudly stated that don't eat junk food. *beam* I have small cavities in two of my wisdom teeth, but heck, they're w-a-a-a-y back there and hard to clean. And they're probably coming out anyway.

Now kids, don't try this at home: go to the dentist when you're supposed to. But I FULLY credit eating LC for my undeserved good dental health. Don't feed the plaque in the first place, and you've won half the battle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:12

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You know what? I just went to my dentist 2 weeks ago. I don't mind dental visits-I mind the dental bills. My DH finally got a new dental plan and I had my teeth cleaned for the first time in 3 years. I told him that my teeth were cruddy and I felt sorry for him that he had to clean them. He said my teeth weren't bad at all. He cleaned them in no time. He complained about a couple of my back teeth. My front teeth do not feel "right" to me. They feel as if I have a bone in between them. Maybe I grew some extra enamel or something LOL
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I went even longer than you, Kristine! Probably closer to 10-15 years. Most of those years though, I wasn't doing low carb. Unfortunately, when I went to my dentist all my wisdom teeth were nasty and had to go and I had quite a few cavities. I ended up having probably 5,000 dollars of dental work done. I did end up getting over my dental-phobia too. Somehow bleeding out the wallet like that really makes you WANT to see a dentist more often just to avoid another $1,000 crown and $1,000 root canal.

But it is carby food that sticks to your teeth, like dried fruit, bread and such. Then it slowly dissolves and decays all day long, until you brush, and turns into sugar which the decay causing bacteria feast upon.

However, my tooth cleaner lady still is having me come in every 4 months so I assume I'm building tartar as fast as I ever did. Last time I went in she said I had a "green stain" on my teeth. I couldn't see it. I can't figure out what the heck I could have eaten that would stain my teeth green.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:24

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Mixed responses

I have worse plaque since I started LC, to the day, and I'm on three cleanings a year. No change in dental habits and 2x/year visits for the past 15 years.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 14:11
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I have DEFINITELY noticed my teeth are cleaner, and I don't have gum problems or cavities anymore. Just one more reason to cite when people ask you why you are Low Carbing. Dental health!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 15:21
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm finally getting my teeth taken care of.... I had my wisdom teeth out (all four at once) and just got some cavities filled... I expected things to be much worse, as it has been years since I had seen a dentist, but was really happy to hear from him that it wasn't that bad... I'm looking forward to getting my teeth cleaned next month though as I have a lot of build up.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 23:26
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Because I hate the dentist so much I go every six months for a check-up, clean and polish……that way there are never any nasty surprises.

Years ago in the days when I didn’t eat dairy products (during the ‘low-fat’ years) my dentist said it was a pity because there are properties in dairy that inhibit the formation of cavities.

I’m changing to a new dentist for my next check-up…..she offers herbal tea and coffee on arrival, sugar free chocolate and lollies, aromatherapy, DVD watching in the chair, head, foot, hand and shoulder massage and fruity lip balms when you’re finished. I wonder what all the extras are going to cost me!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 08:07
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! I liked my destist because he gives you gas for free if you want it. I didn't use it though, except the first time I went and had an infected wisdom tooth pulled.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:54
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

LOL......he's obviously not a low carb dentist if he gives you gas!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 21:15
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
LOL......he's obviously not a low carb dentist if he gives you gas

HAH! He must be slipping me some malitol!