Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default School takes aggressive swipe at obesity

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:05

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I'm very impressed! Go Nathan Hale!

Serri
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:53
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thats awesome!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:11
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

That is great. Wish they did that back when I was in school.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:40

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

That's great news!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 10:45

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Lots of people point out the high sugar concentration in many juices...hope they take that into account.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 11:38
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
From the Article:

"District Superintendent Reginald Mayo vows to lose 30 pounds by doing the same things he's trying to teach his students. (Up 2 pounds after three weeks on a diet, he admitted he wasn't off to a great start, though.)"

I have to say that I am having doubts. Getting rid of the junk is laudible, but it sounds to me like their low-fat approach is doomed to fail. Reginald Mayo's weight gain is an early, ominious sign of that.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:57

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I agree with you Gotbeer, but to me just getting rid of the soda is a huge improvement and should lead to some weight loss, especially in kids whose system isn't messed up by 40 years of bad eating. The replacing of fried items with baked items will be totally useless weight-wise, but we can hope that eating healthy will also involved more vegetables and that could have a positive effect as well.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 14:46

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
The replacing of fried items with baked items will be totally useless weight-wise

It will definitely help health-wise, because Fried nowadays almost always means it was fried in Hydrogenated Oils. As for weight-wise, its value is minimal. If they were only changing to Baked, I would expect that most students would simply make up the extra Calories with Junk Food. But, if they get rid of the Junk Food, baking vs. frying would reduce the number of Calories they ate slightly. Since those Calories are from Crisco, they add NO nutritional value whatsoever. The students could make up those Calories with healthy foods like Fruits and Vegetables [not including Potatoes of course.] That would mean they'd be eating healthy foods, while still consuming a reasonable amount of Calories for their size.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 15:37

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Here's a video I recorded 10 years ago when I was in Elementary School. It was recorded one night after a Awards Ceremony. But, it underscores the problems with School Food. The first 3 foods I captured with the Camera were Junk Food: Bananas, Cookies, and Cake...Yet, thats some of what they were serving us, along with Bread of course, and Fried Mystery "Meat" and Fried Potatoes [Tater Tots.]

The Salad Bar part is interesting, because I thought they'd gotten rid of it. But, it appears what happened was they got a salad bar when I was in 5th Grade, and the Middle School had one when I was in 6th Grade, but they dropped it if I remember correctly after that first year. The Elementary School may have still had a Salad Bar, but per my description, it was not edible: Brown Lettuce, etc...

http://students.uwf.edu/ckc8/cafe.wmv
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 11:25

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%

The public schools here were just announced that they will no longer serve desserts, and they taking out the soda machines. So it's a step in the right direction, but they have a long way to go.

Grade schools do not have salad bars, and all schools still serve breaded foods and white bread. They just started to change things, so hopefully it will continue.

The news report said that the biggest problem with changing things is the federal government. The schools receive food from the feds that is almost free (subsidized by our tax dollars - so I guess it's not really 'free'), and most of it is junk - breaded chicken, tater tots, etc., and they say the can't afford to operate the school lunch program without the subsidies.

So, if the government is so concerned about out children becoming obese, then maybe our representatives need to change a few things. The government needs to stop subsidizing the junk foods and replace them with healthy foods. They also need to make our playgrounds and streets safe so that kids can go outside and play ball, ride a bike, go for a walk, etc. after school instead of going home and locking themselves into an empty house and watching television or playing video games. How about someplace safe where they can go to get exercise? Often by the time parents get home from work and the family has dinner, it's nearly bedtime.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 12:24

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I agree Carmen, however considering they haven't budged from their lowfat position, those changes are likely to be simple changes to highly processed low-fat food.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 12:54

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

i still say its a good thing... the less junk we can get the kids of the world to eat the better