Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:23
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face If Atkins is a high fat diet, why is it.....

If Atkins is a high fat diet, why is it I have to run to the bathroom for hours after having a high fat meal at a restaurant?

Nothing I cook makes me run to the bathroom (I'm speaking of the runs)
But it never fails when I hit Red Lobster and have shrimp scampi or go to a mongolian bbq I'm stuck in the bathroom for hours upon the conclusion of the meal.

Is it just me? Do I just have a delicate constitution?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:48
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Funny I have always had the problem after eating at the Outback. I just attribuated it to the type of oil they use to cook with. Maybe you have a bit of and over active gallbladder.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 15:13

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

This is going to border on gross--may in fact, even get gross. But when you experience this, do you have excrutiating pain to go along with it? And when you finish your hours on the toidy, does it look like you've completely flushed the contents of your entire digestive system?

If so, likely as not what you're experiencing is actually a food allergy. My sister does this if she eats pork or most fruits (ie: apples, bananas, purple grapes, etc.).

I've only ever experienced this mildly, and in the past it's been with pepperoni and some beef products. Most beef won't do that, but some will either gas me completely (so that everyone's running out of the house) or give me the runs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 15:25

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

Red Lobster does that to me too!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:12

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

As soon as I go onto Atkins Induction levels, I get diarrhea. I could WISH that constipation would hit, but it doesn't. So I take psyllium husk capsules daily to make my intestinal life bearable.

If you know a food has this effect on you, be sure to take the psyllium before eating it for dinner. It could be an allergy or just the LC effect.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:01
wrkn off da baby fat

BF:

Okay...I could try the psyllium husk prior to eating at those places. How many capsules would I need to take prior? Would metamucil suffice?

Ya know...I did eat seafood at the mongolian BBQ. I've always attributed the "runs" to the drawn butter or excess oil. But truth is I used to drink 3 tbls of coconut oil/day with no ill side effects. Hmmmm...curious.

But sometimes I think salad dressing (at a restaurant only) has a similiar effect. But still...I'm not sure.

Thanx for the responses guys.

Oh yeah Lilacotton I experience exactly what U described. Funny thing I got on the scale after my last episode today and thought I'd be down in the 80's. No luck..I think the meal was so sodium laden I was actualy up 5 lbs from this morning. Even though I had emptied out my intestines.

No weighing in for me tomorrow....serious water retention going on here.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:13

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

I'd start with one psyllium husk capsule. I like them better than Metamucil because there aren't any added ingredients. And I can easily know how much to take.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:15

Stats: 247/220/150 Female 5'5
BF:Getting better
Progress: 28%

Geeze, all this time I thought I was strange. Ruby Tuesday's salad bar gets me EVERY time. BEFORE I have even paid for the meal !!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:22

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:

[QUOTE=sophotia]Okay...
But sometimes I think salad dressing (at a restaurant only) has a similiar effect. But still...I'm not sure.QUOTE]

What kind of salad dressing? Cesar dressing has anchovies in it. There are a couple of others that sometimes do also, such as green goddess.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:30
wrkn off da baby fat

BF:

Well since I began to LC I always get Ceasar. But before 1000 Island used to do it to me as well.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:56

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Are you having water with your meal or soda?

I've had this reaction when I drink diet coke/pepsi with my meals. If I have more than 2-3 within 2 hours, I'll get this reaction.

I've switched to just water or Diet Rite instead.

Bad Aspertame! Bad!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 19:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

........he he he...........dont you know its always the restaurant.

.....(nothing like a good homemade food)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 19:42
wrkn off da baby fat

BF:

Nah..I usually just drink water. At the most some ice tea...never pop. Sometimes the results are so immediate I can't even make it out the restaurant safely. Needless to say I don't eat out often.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 20:07

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophotia
Oh yeah Lilacotton I experience exactly what U described. Funny thing I got on the scale after my last episode today and thought I'd be down in the 80's. No luck..I think the meal was so sodium laden I was actualy up 5 lbs from this morning. Even though I had emptied out my intestines.

Yes, this could be a pretty serious food allergy, and if that's the case you're likely as not going to have to pinpoint it for sure (may be the seafood--you should see what shrimp does to my hubby--didn't think of that earlier).

Do you eat shrimp at home ever, and if so has it done this to you then? You mentioned that Thousand Island did this also. What were you eating with the Thousand? Could it've been shrimp or other seafood salad?