Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 159/127/105 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Day 4 energy lag

This is my 4th day on the program and every other day I have felt great. Don't misunderstand, I don't feel bad. I certainly feel a whole heck of alot better than I did last week at this time. When I went to the gym to work out I just got tierd way quicker than I have in the past few days. I just feel less energized today. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 14:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

This too shall pass....if it doesn't, you may need to temporarily up your carbs just a touch, especially if you're working out intensely.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Yes, it will pass, and soon you'll be feeling better and better.

Have you been keeping track of what you're eating? Are you drinking lots of water? Keep up with everything and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 15:47
Registered Member

Stats: 238/228/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am also on day four and feeling a little less energised.....My big tip is to drink more water (it works for me!!!) as you may be a little dehydarted also maybe you could try a gentler exercise like yoga...It will still work those muscles but its calmer and may even increade your energy...hope this helps!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 16:06

BF:

yes, I have been following the book to a T. Everything seems as it should, except for that. Maybe it's just on off day for me. I have drank enough water to drown a fish(already 74 oz today) and am monitoring my carbs on fitday. I think I had 18 yesterday. I have not counted yet for today. Thanks for the help all!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 18:07
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Another question..are you counting total carbs, or net carbs? Fitday doesn't subtract the fiber from teh total carbs .
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 18:21

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Talking

hiya sweety. listen if you are lifting you might want to increase your carbs for that day or you WILL feel less energized. i also recommend aking supplements because our bodies are so depleted of all the minerals and vitamins it needs to work properly. are you taking supplements? its really helpful....try it!!

youre just doing a great job hunny!! keep it up!

feel free to pop by my journal if you have any more questions hunny!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 03:16
Registered Member

Stats: 138/126/120 Female 5'4
BF:26%
Progress: 67%

Oh, I definitely had the energy lag ... and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it didn't go away until about day 10. People here told me to stick it out, and they were right!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:43

BF:

Oh, that was my count after the fiber was gone. Sorry. I think the before count was 22. my count yetserday was 19. I am pretty sure I am doing things correctly because my keto sticks stay consistantly dark dark pink or purple. I really just wanted to check with others(for my own peace of mind) to make sure that a bit of energy lag is normal. Yes, I am taking the vitamins and the essential oils tabs as well. No, I am not weight lifting yet. I am doing some rather intense cardio though. About 30-45 minutes of it right now depending on how I feel.It's what seems to make me feel the best right now. In the next few weeks I do plan on adding. Some weights to help me tone. Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate all the helpful responses.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Hey, make sure you are getting your vitamins. I can't even LIST all the ones you may need, but to start off, or a "better than nothing" approach would be to buy a cheapie multivitamin (make SURE that starch, sugar, dextrose, dextrin) are not listed in the first 3 ingredients. It is likely that you may feel a "lag" because you are getting that diuretic effect too. WATER! You have to drink it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 13:16
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Just my $0.02 -- when I first started Atkins, I had read (in the book and on this site) that most people feel really bad for the first few days, but then after that they feel great, so that's what I expected. But that wasn't exactly my experience.

I had very few problems the first few days of induction; mainly I struggled with caffeine withdrawl. As soon as that went away (maybe the third day?) I felt great. Then I remember crashing on Day 8. I was mad, like the diet had pulled a fast one on me. I posted something here saying "Why do I feel like crap? It's been 8 days, I should feel great now!" No one replied.

After a few more days I felt great again, and once I became accustomed to Atkins (and to the message boards) I realized that no one had responded because I had unrealistic expectations.

The first few weeks (possibly more than just the first two) you may have up days and down days. I think that's normal and it could be attributed to a variety of things. But if you can hang in there, you should see that overall you feel better than you did before and things like the afternoon blahs are much easier to manage than before low-carbing. So hang in there!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 13:26

BF:

you know, I did feel better the next day. I guess it was simply my body getting used to things. I must say that overall I do feel better and the afternoon energy lag that I used to have is all but gone. I also don't feel like I need sugar anymore. I even went to an event where they had cake and people ate in front of me and I really had no urge to go get some. And as an added bonus I've lost a few pounds. So overall I can say I'm pleased. Life is good!