Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 410/399/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Anyone with PCOS or taking Glucophage?

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and have been on and off glucophage. I'm getting ready to start it again and am interested to see how it might impact my weight loss.

Has anyone else dieted for a while and then started glucophage? If so, what kind of results did you see?

Thanks!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:48

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I am still on glucophage or the generic form Metformin I take 4- 500MG tabs every night plus an actos 45 Mg in the morning. If I do not take it my sugar levels are higher in the AM. I was on Glucophage but because of Atkins am now off this drug. I have not had these drugs mess with weight loss. Now my anti depressants, that is another matter.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:13

Stats: 410/399/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Thanks for responding...

Were you taking glucophage/metformin to control symptoms of PCOS or to control diabetes?

I just started effexor and am concerned about how it might impact my weight loss also. What kind of problems have you had? (if you don't mind my asking
Michelle
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 18:50

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

I have PCOS, I used to use Glucophage, years ago but stopped it. But now the LCing is doing the trick and I am seeing my PCOS symptoms decrease and some normalacy returning. I now have regular periods since Jan. when I started LCing. I am seeing my sking tags get lighter and hair growth is slowing down. My tummy is still there of course but I'm losing inches in it everyday. I don't know how taking glucaphage and Lcing would work, sorry but I am seeing a HUGE difference in myself and my PCOS.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 11:33
Contributing Member

Plan: ???
Stats: ???/???/??? Female ???
BF:
Progress: 10%

My daughter was recently diagnosed with PCOS and her pcp suggested she go on glucophage. However, she is now seeing a gyn who specializes in PCOS. She had my daughter start a low carb plan and put her on a low dose bc pill and (knock wood) she's doing great!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 250/229/160 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Wink yet another

I have pcos, too, which is really the main reason I started on Atkins. I tried WW, you name it, but the carbs have always been a problem for me - as they are with most PCOS women. I was on glucophage for a year and initially I lost 12lbs within 2 weeks and then it came back on - without any effort or cheating on my part. So basically it did nothing for me. I did have AF a few times, but I found that the only thing that has ever made me 'regular' with AF was losing weight and having AF brought on by provera (and so on and so forth). Atkins and Low-carbing in general is GREAT for PCOS symptoms in women. I've been on it for 3 weeks, I got AF yesterday AND my pcos symptoms (mainly hair loss that started a few months ago - thank god i have a lot of hair and no one can notice) have pretty much stopped.

Mavis
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 17:56

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

Did you know that glucophage was initially developed as a weight loss tool?? When I first started taking it, I lost 9 pounds in a week - and I had been Atkinsing for four months with no record weight loss like that before.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 18:34
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I tried taking glucophage for my PCOS along with spironolactone.

One of them, I am guessing the glucophage didnt react well with me at all. On the third day I thought I was going to die form the horrible nausea, I was vomiting the entire night, I couldnt sleep or move, the cramps were unbearable and I wanted nothing more than to go to the emergency room and get a shot or something that sould stop the horrible nausea. I ended up not going because I felt too sick to move and didnt want to sit in the hospital vomiting so I just had my mother stay with me all night. The day after that I was very weak, couldnt really eat, my throat was hurting and there was still a little bit of nausea and stomach cramps. I just stopped taking both meds, I have an appointment tomorrow and I will just tell the doc I cant take it, not with that reaction.

I did lose a pound, but I am guessing thats from not getting any food for a couple of days. The meds just made me sick :-(
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 21:03

Plan: Based on Atkins
Stats: 342/307.2/165 Female 69
BF:342/307.2/165
Progress: 20%

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and am taking 1500 mg of metformin/glucophage. While I have lost weight since I began taking it, I have also been doing LCing during that time. I don't attribute my weight loss to strictly metformin - however due to the side effects I experienced (diarreah, etc.), it could have contributed.

My particular issue is not fully weight loss related, since I have had the PCOS symptoms since I was 16 and a healthy weight - I think I'll probably be on it for life.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 22:12

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

My symptoms are being completely controlled by LCing. I guess to each their own...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 13:27

Plan: RNY Gastric Bypass 2/1/10
Stats: 378/163/150 Female 5 ' 5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have a mild form of pcos but have never taken any meds for it. We had trouble getting pg and after trying for 5 years finally decided to go to a fert. doc. He's the one who diagnosed me. Luckily we became pg all on our own and didn't need any treatment. We are at a point now where we want to have another baby which is the main reason I went back to lc'ing because I have heard that this type of diet is great for pcos women....I have also started ovulex which is an herbal fert. aid. I'm hoping to at least make it to my pre prganacy weight before actually getting pg though.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 00:59
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYLADY
We are at a point now where we want to have another baby which is the main reason I went back to lc'ing because I have heard that this type of diet is great for pcos women.....

Hi Lucky, Metformin actually helped both me and my friend get pregnant! She had been trying for 5 years, went on metformin and had ovulated for the first time in years within her first three months on it, and then fell pregnant the following month! I had a similar thing happen to me...I had been trying for 2 yrs, have serious PCOS and very bad symptoms with it, and went on the metformin like she had, and within two months was preggers with twins.

I do think that metformin can really help people with pcos, IF you can tsake it, which I know a lot of people can't.

Just thought I'd give my 10c's worth :-)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:58

Plan: IR
Stats: 297/267/150 Female 66"
BF:Goin' Down!
Progress: 20%

I have PCOS and am IR and Metformin has done wonders for me! It helped me get pg with my twin girls and is now helping me to lose all this unwanted weight. I am on 2000 mgs of metformin daily now and feel great!