Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/229/160 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Angry Needing to vent

I have a feeling only the group out here would totally understand why I'm cranky. I've done 'ok' since March 4th, but haven't dropped anything in the the last week. I've increased my water, writing down what I'm eating, stickign strict to induction and you know, that darned scale won't budge. I'm not giving up I'm not giving up I'm not giving up! I caught site of myself in the mirror this evening before going out and WOW, I see a difference! I can FEEL the difference. But why won't the stupid scale show it? I suppose I know the answer, so I guess I'm not really asking for help. I just need to holler and hear someone hear me.

I'm not going to throw in the towel or feel like giving up. SOMETHING has to give. If I could jsut drop a pound a week I'd be happy but nooooooo my dumb body gave me a whooosh of weight loss teaser in the first two weeks and now it's pouting and not giving up any more. I think I may stop talking to my body. It's not being my friend. If it can just give up a pound or two this week, by monday, I might actually be nice and buy it some earings. (DID YOU HEAR THAT, HIPS? LET GO!)

Thanks for listening. This may just be a silly rant, but it felt good.

Mavis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 23:39
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I think you are perfectly within your rights to give your body the cold shoulder until it coughs up a few more pounds! Also am a firm believer in bribery for self, children, government officials, etc.

Hang in there!

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Awww..I'm sorry to hear that - but it WILL happen!! THose hips can't hold on forever...just think of it like a 2 year old that doesn't want to go to school, and is grabbing on your leg - eventually, they have to go - and so do the pounds (only difference is that we sometimes want the 2 year old back!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:25
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Mavis,

I think you are the victim of the notorious third week stall. It's very famous and has been the downfall of many. It's simply your body adjusting to its new status. You may "stall" for a couple of weeks now but after that, you will continue to see progress on the scale.

Be sure to take measurements and continue to look in the mirror ! and you will find that other changes are occurring that are not necessarily showing up on the scale.

Earrings wouldn't hurt either but make sure you take them off when you get on the scale
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:26
"Louisiana Lady"

Stats: 429/408.8/200 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey,
Just stay strong and you will see a drop again. Keep up the good work!
Robie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:31
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

Your plight sounds very familiar. Your profile is similar to mine. I lost 20 lbs in induction and then stalled. I had to increase the amount of water I drank and I had to get off of my fat butt and exercise. In the fourth week I started walking the dog at night about a mile and was rewarded with 2 lbs that week.

Additionally, I revised my view of coffee and LC Candy. Those two things can stall you. I had added coffee back in after induction, but now try to avoid it when I can get by with a diet coke instead. I also limit myself with the LC Candy and Ice Cream to only when it will keep me from committing a big nasty cheat. If I can utilize these LC products on an as needed safety net instead of a daily treat I do better.

I wish you luck. Don't despair. Your reward is within reach. You just have to stretch a little farther.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:43

Plan: Perricone
Stats: 340/283/175 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

Maybe you should weigh only every other week. Give your body a chance to play catch up. I know my scale has thrown me into the dumps more than once.. I finally joined a 100 day challange and I won't be weighing again till July 4th. It has been wonderful not judging my week by what the scale reads.

Just a thought
Jen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:49

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I fully sympathize with your feelings. It is hard!! I gained a pound last week that seemed impossible given how hard I have been working. But alas, the body does what it will in its own time. When I feel down about it, it really helps me to visit the journals of those wonder TDCers who have lost over 100 pounds. Because truly, they have seen it all and dealt with stalls (that often go on for months) but they keep going. I also post my weekly loss in my signature because it reminds me that the the slow downs do speed up and helps remind me that my body does have a certain natural loss cycle - whether I like it or not LOL!!

Orchid
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:03

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I had a three month stall? Then I started charting my eating with Fitday and whoah, baby I knew why. Now I have started losing again, mostly what I had started gaining but being aware of what is going in helps to see what is comming off. Or NOT.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:49

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Great advice. I've also found checking back on what I've eaten helps.

Congrats on seeing a difference already! That's terrific! What a motivator that must be!!

I agree with Hummelda - everything off when it's time to go on the scales - even those new earrings!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:01
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Judging by your profile, you've dropped over 20 pounds in less than a month! That is a tremendously fast rate of weight loss. Your body cannot sustain that. Our bodies often need to take time off to adjust to a new weight before they can start dropping weight again.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 16:00

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I lost 20 lbs in 1 month then had a 3 week stall. The loss will pick up again if you stay on track.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 17:36
Registered Member

Stats: 250/229/160 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Well, here's an update. I bought the earings this afternoon. I thought a bribe might work. Well, it can't hurt!

I'm starting a walking routine on Monday. Maybe I'll pass a magic trash can and leave my hips in there.

Thank you for the reality check. You're right, I did lose a nice amount in a short period of time. It makes sense that the body is panics a bit and has to adjust.

I'll just keep on keepin' on!

Mavis
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 17:51

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Don't give up. Take one step at a time and don't look back. I've come to realize that stalls are part of the deal here and eventually you do move forward. Keep scrupulous track of what you consume to make sure that carb creep is not what is undermining you. At this point, I am happy to continue to lose at the rate of 1-2 pounds per week and not to be gaining. I strongly believe that unrealistic goals of massive numbers lost per day, week, month can sabotage what is otherwise great progress. Good luck to you and do not lose hope!