Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Medifast

I saw this on TV and deciedd to check out the web site listed. Here are some highlites.

Quote:
The 5 and 1 plan (usually 800 - 1000 calories per day) is recommended for most individuals who have a moderate amount of weight to lose.

At least it has this disclaimer
Quote:
For those who have a significant amount of weight to lose, Medifast offers a lower calorie Complete program that should be used only under the strict supervision of a physician. Medifast low calorie diets require physician monitoring to minimize the potential for health risks.

Quote:
Medifast Plus For Diabetics has been specially formulated for Diabetics. This product contains less than 6 grams of sugar per serving and 9 total carbohydrates per serving. Medifast Plus For Diabetics has been certified by the Glycemic Research Institute to make the claim “LOW GLYCEMIC” and is authorized to use the Glycemic Research Institute’s Seal of Approval.

So at 5-6 shakes (or suppliment meals) a day, that adds up to around 50-60g carbs, which isn't too bad. It's what some low carb plans have.

Quote:
The nutrient balance of Medifast combined with the low-calorie level causes the fat stores to release free fatty acids that are converted by the liver into an energy source called ketones. This mild state of "ketosis" helps the body achieve rapid weight loss while preserving muscle tissue.

Quote:
Yes, you can, but we suggest limiting the amount of exercise, especially in the beginning. It takes three to four weeks for the body to adapt to the Medifast plan and use the fat stores for energy. During this time, too much exercise can cause dehydration as well as decrease your weight loss and harm your muscle tissue.

While you are on Medifast, limit intense exercise such as running, biking or swimming to a total of 45 minutes a day. Over exercising will actually slow your weight-loss progress.

http://www.medifastdiet.com/landing...equestid=784826
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My Dad did something similar to this. Lost a lot of weight and immediately gained it all back incredibly fast as he went back to his former means of eating. In fact, I bet if you look at the track record for this sort of diet you'll find that almost no one maintains their weight loss.

In fact, I think this one HMR or something, was shut down just because literally no one could maintain the loss.

There is something to be said relearning how to eat WHILE you lose the weight.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Scary stuff. I think I'll stick to food, thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 14:06

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Wow!!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 14:09

Plan: My own
Stats: 185/179/140 Female 69 inches
BF:no idea
Progress: 13%

I like chewing too much to drink my meals!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 15:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Oh they have "options" you can replace 2-3 of the shakes with. THey have oatmeal, bars (only 1 a day) and minastrone.

For maintanance they recomend you wean off the shakes slowly, taking up to 3-4 weeks if you need to.

I looked at the cost for the diabetic plan. 1 box containing 7 servings is $16. That means this diet costs almost $15 a day and close to $500 a month. And here I was stressing about all the money I spend on groceries for my WOe
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 16:02

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Way back in 1989 I did this diet for 5 months. Lost 110 pounds, and promptly gained 30 back. Within 2 years I was heavier than I had been before starting this plan. I have to say it was so easy to not eat food. You just get used to it. Once you're done with the shakes, you have to eat really low calorie to keep the weight off. Not to mention the major muscle loss you can expect.

Tried it again in 1998 managed to lose 30 pounds in 6 weeks, but I couldn't stick with it again. I really missed eating food this time around. Gained the 30 pounds back within 3 months and added 40 more just for good measure.

It is expensive and ends up be so low calorie on maintenance (for me 1200 cals a day) that most people can't keep the weight off. I would NOT recommend this to anyone. But I'm not a doctor and it is cheaper than surgery.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 17:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd say it is at best very temporary. And yes, the muscle loss is another factor. I'd like to hear of one person, just ONE, that kept off their weight loss from a liquid diet for all the thousands that have done them.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 20:46
Fully Caffeinated

I've heard of a few that had VERY permanent weight loss from the "liquid diets"...death.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 20:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Wow I didn't know they still had that. Like Cindy, I did this in the eighties and lost well. But I was sick as an alley dog and never quit feeling absolutely terrible. It is torture on the body.

Orchid
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 21:13
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I did that diet in the 80's too, and lost the seventy pounds I had gained with my third pregnancy. There was definitely an upside to it, knowing that you couldn't eat ANY food made it simple. And the hunger was not too bad. I got pregnant again though, so can't help with the long term maintenance issue.

I will say though, that it occured to me I would have to start worrying about controlling my "real food" intake when I was done. But you know how that goes, you are sure you'll be able to do it....

Liz
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 08:13

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Anyone who has had this struggle can agree: we all have lots of experience losing weight. KEEPING it off was the problem!

I would wonder about the digestive system of someone who was on this long term. With very little for the systems to do, would they get messed up?

I believe this was the one Oprah was on? And we all know how that worked out...
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 09:43
Fully Caffeinated

Oh, yeah.. way back when she lost weight the first time. I had forgotten about that. Nice to see, now, that she's taken it off with diet and exercise, and shown that it can be done without gimmicks.