Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:44

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Cardamom & White Chocolate Truffles

This is a low carb adaptation of a recipe that I came across recently. Thought they'd make a nice treat for Easter, instead of an Easter Egg

Cardamom & White Chocolate Truffles

Makes 15
1.5g carbs per truffle (though this may depend on the chocolate you use)

Seeds from 4 cardamom pods
7 oz /200g low carb white chocolate*
2 oz /50g unsalted butter
7 fl oz /200 ml whipping cream

Crush the cardamom seeds to a fine powder in a pestle and mortar, and then put the powder into a large bowl with the chocolate (broken into small pieces) and the butter.

Heat the cream in a saucepan until it is just boiling and instantly pour over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and then using an electric hand whisk, whisk until the mixture has thickened enough to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted, this will take about 5 minutes.

Place the truffle mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours until it is firm enough to shape into balls.

Making sure your hands are cold, take a teaspoon of the truffle mixture and roll it into a smooth ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Put them in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up, before serving.

These truffles will store in the fridge for up to 5 days.

* for those of you in the UK, I used Sweet 'N Low sugar free white chocolate bars. In the US and Canada, I'd suggest that Ross's chocolate bars would be an ideal substitute
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:16

Plan: SF, grain free, vegan
Stats: 230/208.2/199 Female 5'2"
BF:More than enough
Progress: 70%
Cool

Hey, Demi...

Make sure you take plenty of photos at lunch today...wish I could be there to experience the moment with you all...I will be thinking about it and especially about you.

Back is getting better...slowly, ever so slowly...just like losing weight: slowly, ever so slowly Thanks for asking.

I have taken hand and face reading classes, had my Tarot cards read and had my astrological chart done on more than one occasion...only as good as the reader. Studying Kabbalah has given me entree into loads of mysticism. I also have a friend who practices American Indian culture...she does many of the rituals you experienced. I find it all so interesting. I am always searching...always looking to widen my horizon...always questioning...there is so much we don't know...

Love & Light,
Pink
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:22

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I would put the crushed powdered Cardamom in the cream to help with the flavor as it heats.
I love Cardamom.Thanks for the recipe.
Such a nice treat.
Pene
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Hmm, how much powdered cardamon would that equal out to?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:44

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Penelope - thanks for the suggestion of putting the seeds in the cream, I shall do that next time I make these.

atlee - I doubt that it's very much at all - possibly just a pinch or two at most. When I cracked open the pods, there were only a few seeds in each to grind, so it turned out to be just a small amount. What you are aiming for is a 'delicate' flavour of cardamom.

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Apr-02-04 at 13:51.