Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:34
Jerzee

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Why am I always so hungry?

I have found in the past two weeks that I am almost never satisfied when I eat a lowcarb meal. When I first started Atkins, I loved it because I was rarely hungry and I could even skip a meal and not be hungry. Now when I eat a lowcarb meal, I find myself getting extremely hungry within about an hour or two after eating. My average carb count per day is about 30 and I have been in ketosis for quite a while. While I am losing weight, I feel I am in a danger zone because of the constant hunger. It's not that I want carbs, but this constant hunger is getting old. I feel like I felt before I went on atkins, eating bagels for breakfast, fast food for lunch and a high carb dinner. If this keeps up much longer, I don't know if I can stay on this WOE. Water intake is no problem, and I take my vitamins regularly. Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so what did you do about it?

Frank
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:52
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Are you getting enough calories and fat Frank? I know that when I get too low on my daily fat, I have horrible hunger pangs. A healthy dose of fat usually cures my in between meal cravings. Best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 92%

hi frank,

i too, have this problem. i don't ever seem satisfied while eating....but because i'm on my third week and still in induction (under 20 grams) i'm getting used to how much i should really take in and when to feel satisfied. what i've noticed while on this diet is that my preoccupation with food is way more than it has ever been in my life. it's really weird when you have a million things running through your mind and all you can think about is what your next meal should be.

i have a routine...i drink water before, during and after my meals (and all through the day). this way, i feel a little more satisfied.

i agree with 4beans when she said that maybe you should up your fat intake as well.

hope this helps! good luck with your new WOL!

blue skies,

Kimmy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:23
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I agree with 4beans4me. An extra splash of olive oil on my salad, a couple ounces of cream, that extra pat of butter... It goes a long way toward preventing hunger. Also, I've been playing around with adding additional caffein during the day (previously just one shot of espresso in the am), and I find that I get hungry quicker. I'm going back to the one shot in the morning.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:35
Jerzee

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions and insight. Now that I think about it, I have stopped my in between meal snacking on pork skins, cheese sticks and nuts which are a good source of fat intake. My daily diet usually consists of bacon or sausage and eggs for breakfast, tuna salad(with plenty of mayo), low carb tortilla wraps with ham and turkey or some lowcarb dinner leftovers and dinner generally consists of a bunless cheeseburger or a chicken breast or some kind of steak or sausage with cottage cheese or sliced cheddar.

My point is I do have a fair amount of fat in my diet already but I will increase my intake and see how that works out.

Thanks again,

Frank
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:35
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I, too, would check my fat intake. It should be around 60-70%. I find if I don't get enough, I am terribly hungry as well.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's not that I disagree with what the others have said but your problem might have less to do with the fat in your diet (if you're getting adequate fat) and more to do with carbs. Many carbohydrate addicts once past induction have found that their cravings come back once they start upping their carb levels. If that's the case for you CAD/CALP might be a better program for you.
here.
There's information on it
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The low carb tortillas could be doing it. They might be sparking off cravings in you. Also any other Lc products or artificial sweetners.

I also agree though for a guy your size you are probably not getting enough calories. Maybe instead of 3 large meals put 4-5 smaller meals through the say so you eat more and are satisfied more?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Jerzee,
You are hardly eating any salad's or veg!! Try adding some and the extra fiber might help to satisfy you.
Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:00

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

Um, Frank....where are your veggies?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:54
Jerzee

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

This is great! All this wonderful support. I really appreciate all of you coming here to help me out. I did leave out the veggies when I mentioned my typical daily diet. I do eat veggies like green beans, asparagus and I love grilled veggies and I eat them almost every day. I also have at least one salad per day with ranch dressing(more fat).

My problem could be that new lowcarb shop I found last week. While I was only shopping for lowcarb sauces and tortillas, the gal running the shop had me try some of this lowcarb chocolate mousse that had only one carb per container. I only bought one and I ate it in two sittings. I wonder if the artificial sweetener might have something to do with my sudden hunger.

Thank you all again for your help. I really appreciate it and I will be sure to return the favor.

Frank
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:02

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

hunger was an issue for me a few weeks ago, and all I did was pig out on foods like hamburger and chicken. I made an entire family pack of chicken legs then munched on them throughout the day. Anytime I was hungry I had a few of those and was fine until my next meal... Or I made a dozen deviled eggs and popped one in my mouth whenever I passed the fridge or just felt like snacking. That has curbed my hunger and my need to snack. Now it's not really an issue, now I've got the opposite problem. Now I'm never hungry and have to make sure I eat some protein every 4-5 hours. Who knew you'd have to make sure you ate enough on a "diet"?

~ Cori ~
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:17

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

I would also look out for the LC products....
Where are your veggies??? LOL, I saw that someone asked that...thought I would chime in.

Snacking is important, for me I eat some cheese cubes when I get home from work and am waiting for dinner to finish up.
I find that the busier I am, the less hungry I am though, or atleast I don't think about it.
I make myself drink 2 cups of green tea when I have late or busy days to help stave off any cravings or hungry that may arise.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 14:07
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

That very well could be the problem Frank. Many of the sugar alcohol products trigger cravings for people. I would suggest cutting them out, and observe your body carefully for a few days after you add a serving back in.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 14:15

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

Sugar alcohols are the devil for sure.