Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 20:00

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default The Yogurt Fast

Please ignore the thread.

Last edited by Anleigh : Fri, Mar-26-04 at 12:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 20:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anleigh
... The Yogurt exception is that the live cultures of the yogurt destroy about two thirds of the carbs.

This is a widely promoted myth. The bacterial cultures in yogurt do not "eat" up the lactose. They digest the lactose, meaning they secrete an enzyme which splits it into its monosaccharide components, glucose and galactose. Some of the glucose will then be fermented into lactic acid. However ... if yogurt were allowed to ferment to the point where there was only 1/3 residual sugar remaining, it would be so sour that it would be unpalatable to most people.

Have a read through this post for more information .. The Truth about carbs in YOGURT.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 20:24
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'd be really concerned about doing any of the "fasts" people are trying on the boards...be it yogurt, meat, eggs... It might jump-start the weight loss for some people, but what are the long-term effects both on weight and health?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 21:42

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

i agree..i don't think that "fasts" are healthy if done as a quick way to lose weight. I think they are good for getting rid of nasty stalls and kickstarting your body into working correctly. Long term fasts are not healthy and will not be good for your healthy. With that said, if a certain type of fast works to help you keep your body healthy and working properly, then go nuts!!!!

~ Cori ~
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 21:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Aren't you really just cutting your calories? Why not have the same number of calories but not such a monotonous thing to eat?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 22:05

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

anleigh, didn't you say in the maintence forum that you were on 800 calories a day? I guess 800 calories of yogurt is better then 800 cals of insulin spiking white bread, but still.

I guess though that you were dissatisfied with your BMI of 23 at 120 pounds (which is what real low carbing gave you), and I know it can be very difficult to get a lower BMI then that, say like your current BMI of 18, without doing something drastic like giving your body only yogurt for just a few days.

I do understand that you posted this becuase of the other inquiries. I am concerned though that people continue to 'push' past a healthy BMI that low-carbing has given them.

I don't think this diet would be that bad if you didn't do it for very long, and I know you upped carbs and cals and are eating fantastically. I guess I am just concerned/amazed that people are so dissatisfied with healthy maintence weights that they do it.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:01

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Anleigh : Fri, Mar-26-04 at 11:57. Reason: Delete please.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:11

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Fasts can help break stalls.
I did a fat fast that lasted 4 days and I broke through a stall. You need to becareful when adding veggies back in.

The Yogurt fast is another good fast
Do yogurt in the morning- My advise YOCHEESE (drain Full fat yogurt for a full 24 hours, add SF syurp to taste)
Lunch, Sanck and then have a Salad and some other veggie and meat for dinner.

Here is info on a regular Fat Fast- they do work
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/carbsmart/fatfast.html

But becareful adding veggies back in. Take it slow
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anleigh
The only reason I did this post was because I had gotten so many PM's requesting information on it. I was not asking to be flamed. No harm intended. Now I know why I don't visit this board much. I'll go back where things are better. END OF POST

Hello?

I don't see any flaming here. People have expressed their opinions about fasting, and also comments/observations based on some of your previous posts. They do not come across as a personal attack, and you're certainly free to disagree with them. Disagreements and points of view contrary to one's own does not constitute flaming. Hurling insults and defamatory remarks does.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

5-6 yogurts a day don't even add up to 800 calories. The blue bunny lite 85 has 85 caloreis per container, so 5-6 per day only equals 425 - 510 calories a day. Even with adding in an LC meal at night, which are often 200-300 caloreis, that is still dangerously low.

While a fast can be ok for short periods of time, severly cutting calories like that for an extended period of time can reak havoc on the metabolism. Not to mention the lack of protien combined with that low of calories probably means lean mass loss.

Yes I admit to being depserate to lose weight at times. But I don't think I would be willing to put my health at that much risk, or have to live on severly reduced calories like that for the rest of my life. I would ike to find something that I can comfortably live with and maintain.