Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default gatoraid?

I have a question about gatoraide, I'm leaving for basic training in a couple of months and wont have much control over what I eat. I do know they make you drink a glass of gatoraide 3 times a day. I'm terrified of gaining weight but do you think I would gain if I'd been on induction since October, just ate low carb and drank the required gatoraide? Plus in basic we will be exercising 6 days a week and marching, drilling, and sweating our butts of in texas!! Do you think I will be okay?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 14:00

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

i wouldn't worry about gaining weight in basic training. In fact, i doubt you will be worrying about anything but the rigorous (some would say tortuous) exercise they put you through!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 16:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

Gatorade is better than most of the sport drinks as far a sugar content goes, and my guess is you'll probably need the extra carbs/energy anyway.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 16:22

Stats: 176/168/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

i agree, you won't have to worry about gaining anything but muscle mass during basic training. drink up on the Gatoraide.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:05
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I've been through basic too (navy 7 years ago). DOn't worry a bit about gaining weight. I decided when I got there that I was going to diet and eat salads and stuff.....woooah big mistake. I stood up about a week after trying this and passed right out. You WILL lose weight at boot camp....don't worry. I technically didn't lose a pound....but I went down two sizes....had to get new uniforms before I graduated. Trust me....they will get you in shape...that's what it's meant to do. I wish I had an RDC here to yell at me and force me to work out. Sure would help alot!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 10:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks so much for the input, I've been nervous about gaining my weight back that I had to lose to get into the AF. I had to lose 25lbs to be under my max weight and if I gain it I'm out. Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 10:17
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Smile

You should be AOK, good luck during basic training!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 10:23
Registered Member

Stats: 330/266/230 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 64%

I used to be a big Gatorade drinker (2 to 3 bottles a day). I quit that when I started atkins. Each bottle has between 33 and 40 carbs. Ridiculously high.

I know that you are going to be getting a lot of exercise, but it seems to me that water might be a better choice if you can get it.

Ren
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I can honestly say....they NEVER gave us gatorade. Then again I was in the Navy.....but all we had was our canteen. And ......don't believe anything your recruiter tells you...no matter how close you are to them. I don't know anyone yet that has been told the truth....you'll see after you get to your A school. As for weight....look....it's not all about what's on a scale. If you're over...they do a body fat % check. You may build so much muscle that you are over...but if you fit their bf requirements (and you will if you build muscle) you'll be fine! Don't worry too much.....and you'll actually have a pretty easy boot camp....as boot camps go anyway. Texas is very hot in the summer and they'll put up that red flag alot!!! (my brother was AF and was in Texas).

My best piece of advice is the one my dad gave me. Shut your mouth, do what they say, and remember it will all be over eventually. Boot camp is much harder on your emotions than anything. It's all about mind games and gaining control over you. And it works too. You'll be scared to death to do anything....but things will ease up a lot at A school....and much much more once you get assigned duty. Good luck to you!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 11:41
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

Hi libra81:

Don't worry about the Gatorade! You are going to lose weight for sure during basic! Believe me!

-Mike