Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 12:38

Plan: low carbs and low GI inde
Stats: 225/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?Don't Wanna Know!
Progress: 67%
Question How long does it take to kick out of ketosis?

I am wondering if someone can tell me how long it takes for the wrong food choices to kick your body out of ketosis? For instance if I ate something too high carb today would I be out tomorrow?

NO - I'm not planning on loading up on carbs!!

I was just curious as I had chili last night for supper and know that I'm still in ketosis today. I watched my carbs all day because I knew I was having it for supper and it is more carbs than I usually eat at a meal.

Just curious - (even though I know what happened to the cat!)

If you know the answer to my question you can reply here or in my journal if you like.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 12:44
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

i guess it depends n what you ate. For me If I spent the whole day eating "Regular" food I would be out of Ketosis and it could take me 1-2 days to get back in ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I can't remember which book it was (atkins or CAD), but they said that even one bite of a high carb product has the ability to kick you out of ketosis. But, in saying that, everyone is different. Just like everyone's levels of ketones are different when you test with the strips.

My best advice would be, not to dwell on what you've done, as stress can trigger insulin releases as well. Continue your diet, and try not to falter again.

What I do know, is that Atkins (along with many many other researchers) agree that it takes two full days to reach ketosis on low carb. Now, there is also some research that indicates that someone could enter ketosis within hours of a fat fast if they include a high intensity workout (ie. running, biking, or walking for 60 min).

hope this helps
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:54

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

From what I've read, if you're going to go out of ketosis it happens very quickly.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:57
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've only been kicked out of ketosis once and that was when I stopped Induction for 10 days (in which I ate everything I could that was sinful ) cause I thought I was pregnant.

I wasn't so I started up again and was back in ketosis in just 2 days.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 04:05
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

hiya, I had this situation recently, I had been feeling unwell and didn't eat for two days, by the end of the first day I was out of ketosis, it took me two days after I started eating properly to get back into it again.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 09:16

Plan: low carbs and low GI inde
Stats: 225/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?Don't Wanna Know!
Progress: 67%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your input! I appreciate everyones attempt to answer my question!

#8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

It also depends on metabolism. If you have a quick one, or were a distance runner, or something like that, the carbs would go through quicker, and you'd return to ketosis quicker then otherwise.

Technically, if you eat any carb, you'd be out of ketosis. Whether this was for a long or short time, depends on how much you had, and your body.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:04
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I think you can have between 30-60g carbs and still remain in ketosis. Some more some less depending on your body.

Depending on how much chili you ate, its quite possible that you did not knock yourself out of ketosis at all.

Chili is pretty low carb except for the beans, which are also high in fiber. I wouldnt worry about it too much and just keep going. In the long run it doesnt matter if you were kicked out of ketosis or not because you either way you are going right back to lower carb foods, right? I wouldnt stress it either way.

Just keep going.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I did a little researching on this since I'm on CKD and therefore "leave" ketosis for the weekend. From what I read, eating 50 g of carbs will take you out of ketosis for about 4 hours. Now that also includes a workout. So without weight training, it would most likely last longer. I'm sure metabolisms will affect it as well. I can say personally as I watched it for the first time this weekend.....it didn't take much to kick me out of mine. And let me tell you, the carbs I ate.....oooo I got sick sick sick. I thought carb up would be fun (getting to have all the things I couldn't). I was wrong, my husband and I felt awful.