Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 02:28
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Question Newbie from the uk! Problem...

Hi guys.

I'm introducing myself really in this first message and also have a question...saorry if it's a bit long, but I really need your help!!

Im Emma, have twin girls who will be two in April and lead a really busy lifestyle - I started on the Atkins diet just under two weeks ago, and I've already hit a problem!!

I lots only 3lb in the first week, and although I was a bit dissapointed (after seeing friends having lost 5 or 7 in the first week) I have continued as I desperately need to lose weight for health issues.

I weighed myself on last saturday, and this morning, to see what was going on...I have PUT ON 1/2 a pound!!!!!!!!!!
This is my typical daily diet...PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong???

Breakfast - something along the lines of two scrambled eggs made with a spoon full of double cream, with three slices of bacon, some mushrooms cooked in butter.

Lunch - a salad comprising fetta or mozzerella cheese with a few olives, some olive oil dressing, garlic, & red peppers which I have softened in olive oil.

Dinner - Duck breast with skin on, brocoli or cabbage. OR Chilli (no beans) made with beaf mince - not skimming fat off, just made with beef stock, onions, peppers, and all cooked in olive oil.

I do drink coffee and admit to it not being decaf - but I have it with cream and sweetner.

I really do not know what I am doing wrong?? I also vshould mention that I have some keytone sticks and they're showing moderate to high keytosis!!

Any ideas please as I feel so alone with this - everyone else I know has lost alot of weight on this diet and I realy need to now!!
Thanks for listening, sorry it was so long.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 03:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think you are on the right track. The Chili - does it have sugar or tomatoes? I do know that you need to switch to Splenda for the coffee. Your body is hanging on to the pounds but you'll be one of the 'woosh people' and over night 5 lbs. will be gone. It's so important to drink tons of water. It will happen, stay determined, you'll soon be amazed.--
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 04:26

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

As meagan says, water is vital. You should be drinking at least two litres a day, preferably more. Also, while your menu looks good, it may be bit short on vegetables?

Come and join us in the UK Forum - lots of useful information eg about low-carb food in the UK.

Welcome
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

It sounds like it may be water - have you started excersizing? It may also be new muscle. As well, what about inches, are your clothes feeling looser or fitting much better? I wouldn't worry too much, you sound like your doing great!....oh, maybe give up the sweetner in coffee.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:31

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

My only question would be the salad - is it just feta/mozzarella and olives, or are there greens present you didn't mention?

You ARE allowed up to three cups of salad greens (or two greens, plus one other allowed vegetable)

I'd alternate the bacon with something else occasionally. Perhaps the sodium is causing you to hang onto fluids.

I'm certainly no expert, and others have been way more successful in analyzing people's menus than I, so take all opinions as just that - a personal opinion.

Best wishes. I know I started LC because of health issues, and at first the weight was not really important to me. Now that I've lost some, and feel so much better, there's no other way of eating I'd rather be doing.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192.5/169/145 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 49%
Talking

Hi Emma, welcome! Good to see you here. My pennyworth would be... Relax, what you are doing foodwise, sounds good, but there are a couple of small things that perhaps you should check....1) the sweetner (must be Splenda) apparently, the other sorts can sometimes cause problems with weight loss.
2) The beef stock..I know the sort I have at home (powdered that you mix with water) is quite high in carbs, so much so that I don't use it at all, and 3)Do you put lots of onions in your chilli, cos they are very high in carbs too... apart from that.........like everone says, DRINK THE WATER. But hey, look, it's early days for you, hang in there....it will happen. When you've got time, start a journal, and we can all pop in and see how you're doing, and help you along.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 22:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Welcome Emma!

I'm not sure what kind of beefstock you use, but is it high in sodium? If so, you may be retaining water.

Lunch - feta isn't on the accepted food list for Induction, but mozzeralla is. Where is the protein?

Watch that you are getting enough fat; maybe add more butter, or mayonaisse?

Looks great overall!!

See you around the forum,

Rocky
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 00:28
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Talking Hi guys

Thanks a million for your replies, it's really inspiring to get some feedback! I'm glad I've found this site now, so early into the diet, it means I can come here and ask questions which is just great!

I took on board what everyone said, and checked the beef stock..that's ok, the greens, nope that's fine too. BUT someone said about not eating enough fat...now that makes sense! Beacuse of the way I have always been "conditioned" into not eating fat, I think I'm fining it difficult to eat more fat than I would on a normal diet - so I think I've got to just bite the bullet and try to put mayo and butter with everything!! It just sems so weird that you can eat fat and be healthy!!

Thanks again guys, I'll be back lots to update start a gallery etc.

xx