Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/195/170 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Fruits

Are their any fruits out their that have like no carbs whatsoever or less than 1g. I would really like to eat fruits but eh........I need help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 20:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sorry, Stephen....

Berries are some of the lowest carb fruits (at least as far as most people think of fruits) and most of them run from 5-8 grams of carb per 1/2 cup. I don't know of any fruit that meets the specifications that you listed.
The good news is that a lot of things that most people think of as vegetables are really fruits and are allowed on induction such as avocados, tomatos and cucumbers.
On the bright side...you only have to forego fruits (other than what's on the allowed list for induction) for a few weeks before you can add them back in again after induction, even if only in small amounts. Hang in there...fruits aren't permanently off the menu!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:48

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Rhubarb is the lowest you'll get. It's really low (but actually it's not a fruit it's a veggie but that's another story).
Buy it fresh and stew it with a lot of aftificial sweetener or buy dry packed cans - don't buy anything packed in syrup or juice.
Serve it with cream and more sweetener. I have it very often!

Last edited by RCFletcher : Mon, Mar-15-04 at 12:56.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:20

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I know it's not fruit but........ I somewhere saw a recipe that peeled zuchini squash and cut into small cubes. They took that and 'stewed' for an hour or so the squash with a package of sugarfree Apple cider mix, cinnamon and water. Supposedly they said it tasted just like apples by the end of the cooking time. I personally never tried the recipe but it was at least interesting enough to come to mind now even months after reading it. I held out for the two week induction at which point I added strawberries, raspberries and blueberries back to my diet. I don't regret it nor did it stall me adding back the berries I love so much. I think it is suggested though that when you do add them back, have them with a handful of nuts or cheese. (ricotta being my first choice) 2 weeks really isn't so long. Hold in there.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:54

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

I just read Protien Power and it has lots of Fruit in the recipes section. Even a strawberry jam!

as stated above Berries are least. You could alos eat a Half of some fruits for less than 10 Carbs!!