Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:02

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Minn. Seeks Food Stamp Ban on Junk Food

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...s/junk_food_ban

Minn. Seeks Food Stamp Ban on Junk Food
Thu Mar 11, 6:02 PM ET Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!

By PATRICK HOWE, Associated Press Writer

ST. PAUL, Minn. - The state of Minnesota is asking federal permission to bar people from using food stamps to buy candy bars, soda and other junk food.

If the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites) approves, Minnesota would be the first state to impose such restrictions.

The change would still need the approval of the Legislature, where some anti-poverty activists call it a mean-spirited intrusion into the cupboards of the poor.

In a letter sent Monday, the state Department of Human Services described the ban as part of a broader state effort to improve eating habits.

"It is inconsistent to encourage healthy nutrition and simultaneously allow the purchase of candy and soft drinks with food stamps," assistant commissioner Maria Gomez wrote.

Lawrence Rudman, spokesman for the USDA regional office in Chicago, said that the agency had not seen the letter as of Friday and that officials will have 60 days to respond once they do.

The federal government already restricts the use of food stamps somewhat. Recipients cannot use food stamps to buy liquor or tobacco, or hot foods such as rotisserie chicken.

Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty first proposed the junk-food ban more than a year ago.

As for the tricky task of deciding which foods are healthy and which aren't, Minnesota would simply apply the definitions already in the state's tax code. Minnesota taxes candy and soda but exempts most other store-bought foods.

However, the tax code is full of inconsistencies. The state, for example, taxes Hershey's bars but not Kit Kat bars, because anything made with flour is not considered a candy. It taxes gum but not licorice. It taxes marshmallows but not ice cream bars. Also, potato chips would not be banned.

Colleen Moriarty, executive director of Hunger Solutions, which represents Minnesota food banks, said it would be better to simply try to educate food stamp recipients about nutrition.

"I think it's a bad idea to regulate people instead of empowering them," she said.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:19

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Colleen Moriarty, executive director of Hunger Solutions, which represents Minnesota food banks, said it would be better to simply try to educate food stamp recipients about nutrition.

"I think it's a bad idea to regulate people instead of empowering them," she said.

Yeah, I'm sure the folks on food stamps would be SHOCKED to find out chips, candy, cookies, and pop (and beer and cigarettes) were bad for you .

I have no problem with legislation like this; I think it should be nationwide. Pop, candy and chips are not staples - they are treats. Welfare was SUPPOSED to be a way to survive until you got back on your feet - not a lifestyle. The junk food can wait until they get a job.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 06:34
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Arc
I think that's kind of harsh. Many who get food stamps are the WORKING poor. It allows them to survive.

And many studies have found that poor people have to decide between rent and food. And for food many can't afford more than minimal fruit and vegetables which are much higher cost than high carbohydrate staples. There is also the issue of access to contend with. Many poor people don't have cars and don't have access to supermarkets that have produce/or produce at affordable prices.

Maybe the solution is a higher minimum wage, more subsidized day/health care, education and a higher food stamp allowance.

After all there is a practical difference a diet like Atkins and the high carb diet many poor people survive on, irregardless of sugared cereals and "junk" foods.

Sale prices
1 lb steak $3.99/lb--marcaroni .25-.33/lb
Broccoli .99/lb.--beans, can equiv. .25-.33/lb
100% fruit juice $2.50-3.00/half gallon--0-10% juice drink .75-1.50/half gallon
fruit .99-$2+/lb--snacks, chips much cheaper

Healthy meal?
Salad: lettuce, $2, Tomatoes $2, Cucumbers $1, Peppers $2, Scallions $.80, dressing $1 Feeds 4-6 as starter to meal
Protein: $2-4/lb feeds 3, say $4 for 4
Vegetable $2-3 feeds 4
Dessert: ?
Total cost for 4: $14-$16 w/o dessert

Unhealthy casserole meal
1/2 lb. macaroni .20
Protein: $3 for 1 lb.
Vegetable: $2
Dessert: $2-4
Total costs for 4-6 generous portions $7.20-$9.20 w/dessert

Which is more food? Which seems a better value for your dollar?

As one lady said: "My husband likes salad. I like salad. But we can't afford it. A salad would take my whole meal budget. You can't make a whole meal out of a lettuce salad."

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Mar-12-04 at 07:11.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 07:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I also think it's the wrong approach. I think your governement should instead subsidize healthy food, like meat, fruits and vegetables. Maybe people with food stamps could get a discount on certain classes of items, which would then be reimbursed by the governement. Junk food would be regular price. This way poor people would be able to eat better without being penalized.

In fact, why don't they just subsidize fruits and vegetables at the source instead of all that corn crap. That's about the only thing everyone seem to agree about : vegetables are good for you. So the governement should start putting their money where their mouth is, and stop trying to impose sanctions.

Give people carrots instead of the stick
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:07

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3

"why don't they just subsidize fruits and vegetables at the source instead of all that corn crap"

I agree....but I've read that our contry now imports more fruits and veggies than we grow! If true, I think it's directly related to the subsidies. Why grow fruit and veggies when you can grow corn or soybeans and get paid regardless of what happens with the crop?

The government need to rething these subsidies! I think that's the biggest problem. We're subsidizing the wrong things. And of course, the government guidelines would promote the foods they subsidize!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:24

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Slippery slope. What next? Many folk in government find fat and meat to be unhealthy, and they have a battary of dieticians to back them up. A ban on full-fat dairy and red meat if you get stamps?

I don't want junk food bought by anyone. It's junk. Period. It's the controlling part of me. Major charcter defect I am working on.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:26
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:

Quote:
ST. PAUL, Minn. - The state of Minnesota is asking federal permission to bar people from using food stamps to buy candy bars, soda and other junk food.

This is coming from the state that has a luxury tax on certain food items such as candy bars, soda, and other junk, but not on other foods...

I had relatives on WIC and they used to receive food from the government. Sometimes, I wonder if maybe that's a better idea than food stamps, but then again, I remember how much surplus of this food they would have and how much of it would go bad if they didn't give it away.

I can see arguments for and against food stamps, but believe Minnesota would be making the right move by prohibiting use of food stamps on junk foods.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:43

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

Zuleikaa, you pay too much for Beef up there in DC. Here in Florida, you can get cheap cuts (Round, Brisket, and Occassionally Chuck) for alot less. Sometimes under $2/lb. Brisket (the bigger ones) sells for $1.49/lb pretty much all the time at Super Wal-Mart. I scored 2 packages of Beef Ribs for $1.59/lb the other day at Winn-Dixie, but that was an unusual sale for just that day and some of that weight is bones. You can also get beef cheaper if you buy it on the last day before the sell by date. Pork is usually cheaper than Beef, so its more affordable. Chicken and Turkey are more expensive than Beef once you deduct for the weight of the bones. But, even that is still expensive compared to Spaghetti (50 cents) and Rice (10 cents.) Not to mention Potatoes and Bananas which also very cheap.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:47
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
I scored 2 packages of Beef Ribs for $1.59/lb the other day at Winn-Dixie

*giggle*

I love that. Really. Cute.