Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334/240/190 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Splenda?

I am a really big iced tea drinker and used to go through a box of sweet and low in a week. About a month and a half ago I got very worried about how much aspertame I was taking in so I switched to splenda.

Are the different types of splenda different in their taste? I bought the boxes of splenda with the spout so I could sweeten a pitcher of tea all at once. While I like it it has a distinct taste to it. Not a funny taste but an almost too sweet but not sweet enough taste. It is very hard to explain but I was wondering if buying the packets and sweetening each glass that I drink instead might give it a better sweetness? I figure someone here has to know a lot about splenda.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 10:54

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

DEM, ol' buddy, ol' pal! I'm an iced tea drinker myself. What I do is sweeten the whole gallon with 4 packets of Splenda and either 4 packets of Sweet 'n Low or 40 drops of liquid saccharin. (The saccharin drops are a bit better than the saccharin packets because there are NO carbs in the drops.)

Combining sweeteners has a synergistic effect. Not only do combined sweeteners taste more like sugar, but they seem to sweeten more. So my combination above makes the tea taste sweeter than if I did 8 packets of Splenda or 8 packets of Sweet 'n Low.

Of course, you may like your tea sweeter or less sweet than mine, but that's easy to adjust.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 10:57

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Oh, and Sweet 'n Low is saccharin, not aspartame. Here's a quick rundown of the most common tabletop sweeteners.

Sweet 'n Low = saccharin
Splenda = sucralose
Equal = aspartame
Sugar Twin = saccharin in the US, cyclamate in Canada

Oh, and one more thing. The pourable Splenda measures like sugar, so it's not as sweet as the stuff in the packets.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:22

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Another idea...to cut the carbs from the granular or packets (not that it's that many ) is to use Da Vinci or Torani flavored syrups in your tea. I've started doing this and it tastes great! Gives it plenty of sweet and just a hint of the flavor you use...I've tried vanilla and strawberry.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 12:59

BF:

Thanks guys this has helped a lot. So is sachrin as bad as they say aspertame is? I am not trying to have cancer or a dead kidney by the time I am 26! I have liquid sweetner too so I am going to try a mix and see how it comes out.

So The Da Vinci syrups are good? I was actually looking at their website today and thinking about getting some bottles. I doubt cookie dough iced tea would be the greatest thing on earth but maybe watermelon.

I steep my iced tea for a very long time so its about as strong as it can be so I always have to use a little more sweetner then normal(when I used sugar) but I am going to try cutting it back to the normal amount of splenda and see how it works.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 13:02
Registered Member

Stats: 330/266/230 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 64%

Look for a product called Miracle Sweet. It is xylitol and by far the best sweetener I've used. It's teaspoon for teaspoon what you would use as sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 13:47

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaudreau
Look for a product called Miracle Sweet. It is xylitol and by far the best sweetener I've used. It's teaspoon for teaspoon what you would use as sugar.

This is pretty interesing...I haven't seen it yet. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, though, in case you're trying to stay away from those.

Da Vinci and Torani are both good...at least the 4 flavors I've tried. Do you have a World Market near you? That's where I found the Torani. Wal-Mart had vanilla and hazelnut Da Vinci in the coffee isle, so if you have a Wal-Mart, try there too. Just make sure you get the bottles that say Sugar Free on them.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 13:58

BF:

I think I am going to go out and buy some of that syrup. Lucky me the Super Walmart and the World Market are literally right next to each other.