Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 20:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 134/127/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Question What do I do? Need advice please

Here's my problem: I have been on Atkins for 4 weeks now, and have lost 9 pounds. I am doing really good and have not cheated once (unless you count one day where I had 3 lc bars in one day!) But, this weekend I am going to a very small workshop for school related to childbirth. There will just be 4 people there plus and instructor. The fee for the workshop includes 2 meals each day on Saturday and Sunday. I am to spend the night there. I just got the menu, and it includes: vegetarian chili for dinner one night, pizza for dinner the next, lasagne for lunch, and breakfasts of various pastries. The snacks are popcorn, granola and cookies. Plus, of course, dessert. The instructor asked if anyone was a picky eater. I haven't replied yet. Should I attempt to take my own food, or just try to "eat around the carbs" as much as possible by eliminating the pizza crust and lasagne noodles, and maybe bringing my own bars for breakfast? Should I mention ahead of time I am staying away from carbs? Help!

Karla
Lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks on Atkins!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:10

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I fully understand you! I have been at various meetings, and managed to work around carbs but still stalled - could be for other reasons though. I have no several times eaten breakfast in a restaurant even though the meeting provided breakfast (sweet cakes, not even bagels - I would have hated that even before my diet!)But I usually have Lunches where I am just greedy - get 2 sandwiches instead of most people's 1, take the bread off, and eat the turkey and cheese with mustard, and the veggie dips. THAT menu, however, sounds impossible - you can't eat around a Lasagne! At least you were warned ahead of time!

I would say the Chili is probably borderline since beans are good carbs, at least on South Beach - they aren't potatoes. But I would not ruin your nice 9 lbs loss by eating sweet cakes in the morning. I would take stuff along. Hard-boiled eggs, grilled chicken breast, veggies can travel. Or ask the instructor - but be prepared for comments - at my meeting I was told how unhealthy the whole fad diet stuff is etc. Do you want to defend your choice? Good Luck, let us know - I would love to hear about travel food!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:12

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

You can always ask if you are allowed to leave for meals. I had a workshop one Saturday and asked our principal (I'm a teacher) if we would be allowed to leave even though they were ordering in a super long sub sandwich. I told him I am low carbing. He said we would be free to leave.

The next day when I got to the workshop he had gone and gotten a veggie tray and a bunch of nuts so that I could snack too. I ended up staying and just eating the insides of the sub.

You never know unless you ask right.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:22

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Did she really say picky eater? That sounds like a way to turn people off from disagreeing with the meals. I hope she didn't use those words.

I would either ask if you could leave, or bring LOTS of lc foods...or both. It wouldn't be that hard to take what you would need in a cooler and then carry a smaller cooler into the meetings or wherever it is you're going to eat. Of course this could bring attention to yourself, so you have to be willing to be scrutinized. I personally would do whatever I needed to in order to stay on plan....especially with that menu. It would be different if they had SOME things appropriate. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:56

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just went through this 2 weeks ago. I can tell you what I did but it may seem like a hassle.

I took 4 OsoLo low-carb rolls with me (they are individually wrapped)
I went to McDonald's and asked for 6 packages of mayonaisse
2 cans of tuna, a hand can opener, and some disposable bowls and plasticware
2 small bags of Atkin's Cruncher chips
1 large bag of BBQ pork skins
2 packages of peanuts
2 low carb breakfast bars

The first day, I had a breakfast bar in the morning, tuna sandwich and chips for lunch and that night I called a pizza shop and ordered a medium pizza with garlic sauce instead of red sauce, extra cheese, veggies and pepperoni. I pulled off the toppings and ate it all. I was stuffed.

The next morning I had another breakfast bar, more tuna and chips for lunch and snacked on the peanuts. I left that evening.

I made it back home and was in strong ketosis, I actually lost 2 pounds. I would not suggest this menu on a daily basis, but for the occassion it worked.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 07:26

Stats: 134/127/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, guys. I will definately bring a cooler with some lc stuff in it. I will email my instructor and let her know what's up. I am fully prepared to defend my eating habits. I have had to do that plenty of time. It amazes me how "angry" people get over Atkins. It isn't like I am trying to force them to do it! I am thinking bars, nuts, and string cheese. I may carry along a few pieces of lc bread and the lc peanut butter I have here. I can always eat the pizza toppings, too. I am glad she warned me ahead of time. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been prepared and probably would have caved. Oh, and yes, she did use the word "picky." Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.
Karla
Lost 9 pounds on Atkins in 4 weeks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 07:47

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

You can buy tuna in a pouch that doesn't have to be drained. Can't remember what brand, but it might be Chicken of the Sea. You could get a couple of packs of mayo and just mix it in the pouch...that way you wouldn't need to worry about bowls and washing up (or the smell!) Mini-dill pickles in a baggie could give you something to snack on as well. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:15

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

And don't forget a hardboiled egg or 2, alwasy the best snack for me!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:25

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I would mention it aheah of time because you probably will not be the only one who is low carbing. My daughter works for a company that does birthday parties for kids. One party had many parents who were watching their carbs and alot of cake and ice cream went to waste. The mom who organized the party said that she wished that she had known tha so many were not eating carbs.