Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.3/187.3/143.3 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Too much fat?

Going on my 5th day on Atkins. I am at last getting used to the eggs and sausages in the morning without feeling a bit nauseous after eating.

Over the weekend I ate out a couple of times and mostly ate high fat foods. My fiance on the other hand was rather 'worried' about the fact that the steak with mushroom sauce that I ordered could not possibly be any good for my health (I also ordered green leafy salad). I reassured him that it was. He got the same shock when I had 2 Italian sausages and 3 scrambled eggs for breakkie that morning.

It got me thinking whether this WOE was really going to work, I feel better I must admit, I can eat and not feel all yucky and bloated like I used to before and well I don't crave as much sugar (on going struggle but I am getting there). Anybody out there have same doubts? also, What happens if I am not consuming the 20 grams of carbohydrates suggested a day? and is there such a thing as 'not enough fat' being consumed? Sometimes I find myself struggling to consume fatty stuff (chicken, steak, etc..etc..)

Please help clarify my questions. Ta
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:07

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I think the way you feel is perfectly natural after years of being indoctrinated to the low fat WOL. It works and the higher the fat content each day, the better it works. I'm finding 75% + fat is the way to go for me to lose.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:08
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I use www.fitday.com to track what I eat. I usually shoot for 65-70% of my calories to come from fat 25-30% protein and 5% carbs.

Keep in mind things like sauces when you eat out may have thickners such as flour or cornstarch so you need to look out for it. Sausage usually has sugars and other fillers and you need to count the carbs for those.

When I get too little fat I dont feel as good and my weight loss slows.

If you need to get more fats in try mayo, butter, olive oil and avocados. They will get your fat intake up nicely and try the fitday account. It really helps!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

During induction, there really is no such thing as too much fat. As you increase your carbs through OWL and Pre-maintanance, you'll decrease your fat intake.

I do find if I eat a lot of fatty foods, I get queasy. If this happens, I back off the fat a bit, just to the point I feel less "yucky" (that's a technical term....lol)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:11

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

It's hard to believe at first, but yes... All that fat is the way to do it.

The great thing about eating high-fat is that it's very filling. I know two people who tried to beat the system by going low fat and low carb... both failed miserably because they were always hungry.

Hey, think of it this way... two weeks of any diet won't do any permanent damage, right? Give the low-carb high fat diet two weeks. If you don't see results, move on. This is what I did, and haven't left it since.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:07

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I agree with what's been said about fat. And I would add that as long as you're getting in at least 3 cups of veggies per day it's okay if you eat less than 20 carbs. You'll see results and so will your fiance and that will convince you both. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Even when I ate high carb-I ate high fat.I have always loved fatty steaks and dark meat chicken butter etc. So I was happy to be able to continue with my high fat food. I have been eating mostly protein and fats. I also eat alot of veggies. My lipid profile is wonderful. If these things were bad for me my cholesterol and triglycerides would be out of control but that is not the case.

Read about glucagon. It is insulin's partner hormone. When insulin is level the pancreas produces glucagon which sweeps away cholesterol and fats as it contributes to arterial strength.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:15
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Gotta have the fat for it to work. I lose best eating 70-75% fat per day.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For me it's part psycologicla I think. I enjoy putting olive oil on salad, or will even have strait coconut oil as a suppliment. I have a real problem eating greasy foods though. For some reason they make me feel blah and kind of greasy all over.

I also don't eat alot of fatty meats, mostly because I can't afford it Since I eat alot of chicken and eggs I will find other way sof adding fat such as 1/2 an avacado, soy lecathin when I was in induction, coconut or flax oil and so on. When I can afford it I'll get a salmon filet. It's still kind of greasy, but something I enjoy and loaded with healthy fats.

If sausage at breakfast makes you nausaus, then don't eat it. There ar eprobably fillers and sugars in it anyway Explore other options to have with your eggs such as zucchni hashbrowns, bacon fried cabbage, feta and salmon omlette, or dairy free omlettes by using mayo as a filler such as a spinach omlette. You cook frozen spinach, press all the water out you can, then mix in a tbsp mayo. It's high fat, high nutrient form the spinach and tasty