Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:42

Plan: My Own
Stats: 237.6/218.2/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:Lot's of it
Progress: 52%
Default Metabolism

Is it possible for your metabolism will slow way down and adjust to what you are eating? I am eating way less than I used to before starting my journey, however this last week I have actually gained a little bit each day. Nothing has changed as I am still under 20 carbs per day.

Do I need to look at calories as well? Rather than just eating low carb to stay under the limit, should I also make sure I don't go over some magical calorie line?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:50
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

It is possible to be eating too few calories. This will put you body in starvation mode. Making you hold on to what ever you have. You should be in your case eating around 2000 a day to support your body. IF you go to Fitday.com you can open a free account and track for a few days what you are taken in.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Post some menu samples for advice. As long as you're eating enough fat, you shouldn't have any problems.

It's only been a bit over a month low-carbing for you and your weight will fluctuate after the initial big loss of induction. It's water though...your body uses water in the fat cells and when it realizes there will be no more fat filling the cells, it lets go of the water.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:22

Yesterday I had:

Breakfast:

1 Scrambled Egg
~1 oz of Turkey
~1 oz of Cheese

Lunch:

Turkey Sandwich
~3 oz Turkey
~2 T Mayo
~1 T Brown Spicy Mustard
2 Slices of Swiss Cheese
2 Pieces of Lo-Carb Bread 3 carb per slice

Dinner:

~ 8 oz Hamburger
2 slices of Swiss Cheese
~1 T Mayo
~1 T Brown Spicy Mustard
1 Lo-Carb Bun 3 carbs total

I know that someone will yell at me about not eating my veggies, but hey I am working on it. The above is what I had yesterday, but it is pretty standard. Sometimes I will have Boneless Buffalo wings, Tuna, Tacos, etc, but pretty much the same.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/165/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

Sounds like you are eating right to me. I haven't been doing this for very long. Where do you buy your low carb bread and hamburger buns? I would love to get some.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

If you're not losing, I would cut out the LC bread and LC hamburger buns. Maybe it's just me, but I do not trust the labels on those products. Plus, you need to get some carbs from vegetables. Zero vegetables is not good.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

are you sure the 'whole' bun has only 3 carbs, kinda sounds unlikely. A bun typically is the size of two pieces of bread, so it seems it couldn't be half of two slice of LC bread. Although, I've not seen all the brands out for the LC bread items. I have trouble with adding any breads or cheese or artifical sweetners. If I eat those things, I expect to not loose anything (but not gain either luckily)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:49

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Go easy on the LC bread. You really shouldn't have it during induction because you're trying to break your body's addiction and cravings for starchy foods.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:59

I happend to find a Lo-Carb store over the weekend. They had Lo-Carb bread and stuff. I don't remember the bread name, but it was 3 carb per slice. The buns come in a 4 pack individually wrapped (whole, sortta like a bagel needing to be cut) and are made by O'soLo www.osolo.com.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 05:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

i wouldnt eat the low carb bread, replace it with salad