Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 11:46

Plan: Low carb & some Keto
Stats: 276/251/140 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:43.5%/34%/23%
Progress: 18%
Default Lost Woman

I'm very overweight. I'm over 200lbs and I'm only 5'1. Sometimes I think that I can lose weight but most of the time I don't.

I don't have any support from my family. It's not that they sabotage me but it's also not like I can ask for help either. My husband doesn't have a weight problem, so he believes that I can lose weight just by eating everything in moderation. (he doesn't believe in low carb).

Right now I'm eating a chocolate bar---why? I'm not sure. I guess I just feel stuck. I have an evil voice that talks to me and tells me that I will never be pretty or thin and that I will always be worthless.

I'm suppose to be going to the cayman islands in July and I wanted to at least be under 200lbs but right now I just don't see it as achieveable. I think my biggest problem is not having someone to talk to in my hometown. Someone to share in my ups and downs.

I'm so self conscious and self loathing that I don't allow anyone to get close to me because I believe that they will find out what a loser I am. I keep looking in the buddies section for someone from Cleveland, Ohio but there's no one. I don't even know if I'm capable of being a friend---I've really never had one. I guess that is what happens when you close yourself off from the world. I guess you can tell---I'm totally depressed. I'm struggling with what I'm about to do after this chocolate bar----BINGE or STAY ON ATKINS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Hi Frodo,

Your starting stats are the exact same as mine! I too was a high of 250, and started Atkins at 230. And I am only 5'1 too...actually 5' feet 1/2 an inch ;o)
I also suffer from depression (Bi-Polar II).
YOu CAN do this. YOU deserve this. Do it for you!!! I decided there was so little I could control in my life (moods etc) but I COULD control what I put in my mouth. Only I could do that. It is worth it....if you can give yourself two weeks of induction it will get so much easier. I know it sounds hard right now but it does get easier. This board has been a great help to me.
Keep writing.Hang in there...put down the chocolate bar and get some real food into you......
we all care here. you can PM me whenever you want....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 12:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Hi Karen,

I went a read your journal and realized you have been here a while so you do already know the ropes etc.....

Please still hang in there and
DON"T QUIT ATKINS>>>>>>
are you a stay at home Mom?
if so I am too....we could be buddies even tho I am miles a way in canada.....

hang in there....you know you can do it...I have read some of your posts and you have been very strong for others..be strong for yourself now...this moment will pass, they always do.....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 12:49

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Has your husband read the Atkins book? I don't think it would be unreasonable of you to ask him to do so and understand what you are doing and why. Your husband also needs to know that you are his *wife* and you *deserve support* from him. Whether or not he believes another way would be better is immaterial if this is the way you've chosen to deal with it.

Hang in there love. I know it's hard to deal with the double burden of depression *and* being overweight. Don't be afraid to seek out professional help, too -- for you AND your husband, because if he refuses to understand and support you, there's something wrong with HIM. It's NOT YOUR FAULT you are this way and you can't solve it alone!

[edit] Don't forget too, that a moment or two of weakness isn't going to sabotage your health for life. If you cheat on your diet today you can always start over tomorrow.

Last edited by pd Rydia : Fri, Feb-13-04 at 12:54.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 13:50

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Posted this in wrong palce, dknow how to delete.

Last edited by Scarlet : Wed, Feb-18-04 at 13:54.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:49
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

This forum is great and it will help you realize you are not alone or lost. When you have weight to lose it is so difficult to get up and do it, its easier not to. I have battled with my weight all of my life but the low carb lifestyle has been such a godsend, now I realize I was a walking carb!!!! The start was difficult but then WOW how liberating and in control I feel now. I did stop checking the scales and went by the way my clothes feel which also helps. As far as your spouse there are lots of people who "don't believe" in low carb, but it works. I myself started on Atkins then switched to South Beach and I feel I am making more progress there. Please do what makes you happy, if this way of eating does that go full steam ahead. Your spouse should follow when he sees how great you feel. Good Luck
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 225/225/155 Female 5'4
BF:a lot
Progress: 0%

Hang in there Lost woman...I struggle too...we all do. Geesh if you look at my stats, I am higher in my weight now than when I started. But I am determined in the long run to turn myself around. The weight undermines myself esteem too at times, But I quit drinking years ago and already know the demons that can undermine me...they crop up in the weight loss area too. But I can do it and you can too kiddo
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:14

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I have been having a hard time staying with the plan. I finally decided that one thing I want most, that I haven't accomplished is to be in shape and within my goal weight range. I want to water ski, run with the kids, and just feel good about how I look. This wol is an answered prayer for me...now it is my turn to make it happen. I started today...I went to the store and bought things I love...such as shrimp, steak, veggies, lc yogurt etc. I am going to eat like a queen and start treating myself like one. (I mean that in a good and positive way) I can make this happen with help from God and the support I find here.

I sometimes get down when I have seen people locally who have accomplished their weight loss goals while I keep messing around and not accomplishing mine. I decided that I was tired of feeling that way and I AM going to make a difference....I have forgotten the comparisons now. Its time to focus only on eating on plan. I am eating foods that I really love. The weight loss WILL be the reward.

THIS WOE DOES WORK! SO, now it is time for us to use it. YOU CAN DO IT!