Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 17:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 273/257.2/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Need Straight Answers on Vitamins

Greetings Again:

I REALLY need straight answers on vitamins. As of now, I take 2 400 I.U.'s of Vitamin E each day; 2 Fish Oils; One Vitamin B Complex. I feel I need to be taking a multi-vitamin and a calcium/magnesium/potassium pill, however I don't know what brands are good. I know that a multivitamin with too much iron can hurt my weight loss. Is there such a multi-vitamin without the iron? What are some suggestions on the calcium/magnesium/potassium pill?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 18:32

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Yes, there are plenty of multi vitamins without iron, nearly all of them for us older folks for whom too much iron can be a big problem.

Personally I take Centrum Silver, but you should do research for your own personal needs and preferences.

We have found Swanson Vitamins to be the best source on the internet, with a huge selection of products, and very good prices. Check them out at Swansonvitamins.com
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 20:01

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I use a lot of the Walmart Equate (?)--the store brand.

I buy Jamieson multis and cal/mag (don't know if they're avail. where you are). I think it's what they contain not the actual brand, tho.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 20:15

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

Caltrate Plus or a generic substitute that has the same combination is a very good choice for a calcium/mag/D combo.. it also has a few other good things in it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't think a multivitamin with iron would hurt your weight loss. The reason Atkisn recomends getting an iron free one is many on this WOE are eating enough meats they get 100% RDA of iron already. Iron is one of those minerals that can build up in the system an dbecome toxic.

For me I regularly only get about 60% RDA of iron from diet. So I take a multivitamin that includes iron. I really like Twin Labs one a day which comes with or without iron. It is starch, sugar, and yeast free. I couldn't find it last time I searched for vitamins, so I ended up getting GNC one a day for women.

For the pottasium pill I just get mine at walmart. They are 99mg per pill and are very small. I also pick up Calcium 1200 + D. I always look at vitamins to make sure they are free from carby fillers such as starch, sugar and so on.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:49

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

One a Day has a new vitamin called Weight Smart it's a standard multi vitamin with Green tea added.

walgreens pharmacy also has a generic version w/ same ingredients at only $5.99 a bottle compared to $10 for the one a day brand.

i like them
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:17

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default GNC is a good source

I take a multi- with iron; Dr. Atkins never read my hematocrit and I'm always low. If you're younger than menopause, rethink the "no iron" position.

I take GNC's Calcium + Magnesium. I think it's recommended that any supplement have twice as much Calcium as mag.

You can get potassium in many of the fake salts.

Might think about taking way more vitamin C than you're getting. They don't give you much in a multi.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
One a Day has a new vitamin called Weight Smart it's a standard multi vitamin with Green tea added.

Yes it has green tea added. It also has at least 3 kinds of sugars added. Read the inactive ingredients list, or do a search on this forum for a list of the ingredients.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:05

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%
Default potassium

Can anyone tell me why it is so hard to find a potassium pill with more than 3% of the daily recomended value? It seems pretty rediculous to buy the pills and get barely any of the supplement thay are suppposed to suppply you with. How am I supposed to get enough?
Thanks,
Rebekah.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 18:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:

Excess potassium can kill you -it messes with the electrolytes balance or something.

You can use nu-salt a potassium replacement for table salt
Cut down on sodium and get potassium at same time
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 18:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i take theragram-m, 3 flax seed gel caps, 1 oil of oregano, 5 psyllium husks capsules a day, and havent had any problems.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 19:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevbme
Excess potassium can kill you -it messes with the electrolytes balance or something.

Um ... not quite

Non-prescription strength potassium pills contain maximum 99mg elemental potassium per pill because potassium is hard on the stomach, and higher doses can be irritating. Think about it ... a medium sized avocado has over 1,100mg potassium in it; a can of salmon has over 600mg potassium in it ... nobody has ever keeled over dead from eating those foods

Yes, excess potassium can cause heart rhythm disturbances, and if allowed to accumulate to very high levels, can cause life-threatening condition. However, this doesn't happen immediately, it's a gradual increase seen in people who have kidney disease or who take certain medications that affect the kidneys so they don't excrete excess potassium per the normal way.

Normal kidneys will excrete any excess potassium so it's highly unlikely that a healthy person will accumulate too much.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 216.5/211/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Just as an FYI, it's either Calcium or D that should not be taken with a multivitamin with iron bcs. it negates the absorption of the iron. You should check out which one it is and not take it with the iron (I don't take iron at present, but used to).