Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/200/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Dieter's Tea..Slim Beauty Brand?

Has anyone had weightloss success or failure using teas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 16:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

I've never used herbal slimmer's teas myself, but I have read the labels of different products out of curiosity ... they're basically laxative and may also stimulate increased urination, so any weight lost is water and intestinal. Daily use can lead to dehydration, and can be very irritating to the bowels.

Doreen

p.s. - I moved your post to the Products forum, where it might receive more appropriate attention.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb I fully agree with Doreen ...

... these products are, for each one I've read the Ingredients List on so far (and I've read a LOT), laxative and diuretic herbs as the mainstay, with some other herbs or vitamins or flavours thrown in...

Just so you know precisely what you may do if you decide to "aid" your weight loss with regular use of this type of product, you will have more "regular" bowel movements than you probably will like, you will lose more body water than you likely need to (mild dehydration minimum), you will lose more vital nutrients that your metabolism needs to process fat and protein properly... in other words, you may lose more weight, but you won't be losing more fat.

From another perspective, technically, they are not low-carb products, and I'm not aware of any Plan that recommends their use. Also technically, they have absolutely no direct effect on the metabolic changes that Low Carb accomplishes.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings, but there you are.... sometimes the news is not good.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:03
Registered Member

Stats: 225/211/165
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have used this tea before in the past, long before I knew about the Atkins diet, and what you've been told already here is true. They do us lative and diuretic herbs. Also know that if you do decide to use it, do not steep your tea bag for to long. Why? Because if you do it makes the tea stronger and you'll get bad cramps just before you have to go.

Gabrielle
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/206/110
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs down Uggg! BIG NEON WARNING SIGN

Step away from the tea...

I used that stuff after I had my second child as recommended by a well intentioned rn for the laxative purposes and I swear I dipped it in and took it out and that was STILL too strong...That pain was incredible!!! I used it twice and both times the pain was simply unbearable, my stomach hurts just thinking about it.

I say avoid this stuff like the plague cuz that can't be healthy.

Carrie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 22:39

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Like Carrie I had an extremely bad reaction. I didn't try the brand you mention but a very expensive one from my Asian market. I had severe diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas, I felt shaky and horrible all over. Don't even consider it.

Allison
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 13:06

Stats: 243/212/230 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default dieter's tea

i too used dieter's teas long before i started atkins. my experience is that steeping is the most important thing. the longer the steep time, the more stronger results you'll receive, cramps and all. the brand i use is "Laci LeBeau". hope this helps