Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 65"
BF:
Progress:
Default induction question

ok so on the induction list corn is not listed, i realize it has a high net carb count, at least when it is in the form of a tortilla ( about 7 ) but if u stay under the 20 net grams of carbs a day and have maybe one torilla at lunch is it safe? my mom has been on induction for two weeks and she is doing good this is the longest shes stuck with any thing, im trying to come up with meal ideas that she would actually enjoy eating, salad is not an issue with dressing, but theres only so many ways to prepare meats, unless u have some suggestions, and one more thing~ i keep getting different ansewrs _ can u use soy sauce on induction? what about salt> please help teejay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Personally I would stay awat from torillas while on induction - gives you something to look forward to in the weeks to come! I am not sure of the soy sauce (even low sodium). Salt is ok in moderation..Look at the recipe forums on this site - great recipes and ideas..Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:02

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Basically, the short answer is: if you are doing Induction, then stick to the Induction List. It's only 2 weeks out of your life. And they could give you the biggest 2 week weight loss you'll EVER have in your life. IF you stick with the plan as written.

Imagine how disappointing it could be to add whatever you want during Induction and only lose a few pounds. Which do you want or need most: a few minutes satisfaction from eating something not on the List, or weeks and months of HUGE SATISFACTION from a very good loss? It IS your choice.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:26

Stats: 175/172.5/115 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I agree, stick to the induction foods only. I am going to start induction over again tomorrow because I didn't do it right the first time. Live and learn by your mistakes, but do it right the first time and you will be ahead of the game.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 14:00
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I'd stay away from soy sauce for a while. It's rich in carbs and very salty. Salt (sodium) can cause water retention and prevent easy weight loss.

There are lots of interesting alternative recipe options for Induction that doesn't include the abovementioned items. Have a look in the recipe forum here, as well as the "Low Carb Recipes" (top orange bar) and the huge recipe database at http://atkins.com

Bon appetit!

/gil
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 19:44

BF:
Progress:

appreciate the help, staying away from tortillas is no problem guess we will have to hit the recipies though cause she is staying on induction longer than two weeks thats whats hard about it, she has no cravings really, cept once in a while she wants a browbie or sum sweet, u know ? n e way thanks to all teee jaayyy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 12:35

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 155/149/130
BF:
Progress:
Default induction question

Try Kikkoman soy sauce - zero carbs!!!

I use it all the time.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 19:03
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anngie
Try Kikkoman soy sauce - zero carbs!!!

I use it all the time.

I love Kikkoman soy sauce/shoyu (as opposed to thick, salty Chinese types...) and use it in small amounts for sashimi etc, but I have a hard time believing it doesn't contain carbs, as it's made from wheat and soybean starch broken down to sugar - although some of the sugar turns into alcohol throughout the yeast process. Do you have a nutrition table for Kikkoman, anngie? Would be very interesting to see.

There is apparently a Kikkoman soy sauce "lite" in the US, with less sodium? I'd love to try that one.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 20:33
Registered Member

Stats: 139/129/122 Female 62 inches
BF:!!!????
Progress: 59%

Tofi was right!!!!!!! If you stick to induction for the two weeks it was designed, you have the biggest weight loss exeperienced. That happened to me and I would not let any tortilla stand in the way of progress. Work around it and find another alternative until later on!!!!!!! Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:03

BF:
Progress:

thanks ill try to get her to use the sauce, shes doing ok still but like i said shes been on inducion for about 5 weeks maybe ?????/?????? n im afraid shes starting to fall because shes not loosing~ tortillas are not an issue n e longer, but all she wants are eggs n chicken n turnkey good x cept shes lacking on her veggies, well get there though ~ she has ten more pounds until i quit smoking so i know she wont quit~ and if she doesnt finish ~ i get to smoke so wish her luck thanks teejay
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:05

BF:
Progress:

let me correct above, or below how ever this works~ she has more than ten lbs she has about 60 total but im trying to give her perks throughout it , next is a tatoo ~~~ smile luv yall