Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/180/200 Male 5'7"
BF:15%
Progress: 136%
Default Changing gears with diet and excersize - need advice badly, please...

HI folks... I have some serious questions that span a few different forums, so if this isn't a proper forum for these questions, please direct me to somewhere more appropriate.

Short back history... Back in December I started on the ANA, My goal was to loose 55 lbs bringing me down to 200 lbs. It was a shaky start but after logging my food and posting questions here, I finally found my groove and the lbs started to come off.

Today, after loosing about 30 lbs so far, I have such a renewed vigor and love of life that I really REALLY want to get into fit shape, not just loose the love handles. I'm starting on what I expect to be a very long road to muscular fitness.

So here I am, joining a gym... I've done my research and I tonight to sign up at the gym of my choice.

I'm just breaking out of the Induction phase and I've moved onto OWL, taking in more carbs slowly.

Can I continue on with OLW as normal (adding on 5g carb to my diet per week until I no longer find I'm loosing weight) while engaging in excersize that I havent done in, well ... ever?

I'm imagining that my weight is going to drop like a stone, perhaps too fast? Should I go off Atkin's and just try to eat as if I were in Lifetime Maintinance? Should I try another low-carb diet approach?

I'm scared of these next few weeks. I feel like I'm about to send my body into chaos, I'm not used to these rapid body changes and I don't want to scew myself over. I've got a good thing going so far and I'm really concerned that if something goes wrong (I loose too much too fast, or god forbid: I start GAINING more fat instead of muscle) that I'm gonna ruin my self-esteem and put my body in jeapordy (with the flux of weight gain/loss and muscle gain).

How should I proceed from Induction onwards on Atkins while suddenly increasing activity by going to regular excersize, from NO excersize?

Am I making sense?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:57
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You're making sense but I think you are worrying too much. Start exercising - yesterday! If you find yourself losing weight like crazy simply adjust your carbs accordingly. You don't specify what kind of activity you're thinking of - cardio? weights? both?

Get moving and enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:35
Registered Member

Stats: 255/180/200 Male 5'7"
BF:15%
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl
You're making sense but I think you are worrying too much. Start exercising - yesterday! If you find yourself losing weight like crazy simply adjust your carbs accordingly. You don't specify what kind of activity you're thinking of - cardio? weights? both?

Get moving and enjoy!

Well, being a total newbie, I'll probably do both. I'm just going to take the suggestion of the fitness trainer I suppose. I know I want to develop muscle, I'm guessing the weight loss will just come off regardless with that... I think theres wisdom in doing cardio if for no other reason than to build up my stamina. That is what cardio does, right? Build stamina?

Question: Why would anyone forgo cardio and just work on resistance training?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: Custom
Stats: 410/253/240 Male 72
BF:Wow/30%/???
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurus88
Question: Why would anyone forgo cardio and just work on resistance training?

There is a movement growing in the body building world that does eliminate cardio because studies show that it doesn't burn fat effectively, all it does is increase recovery time. Now these are finely tuned athletes, not overweight housewives so I take this with a grain of salt and still walk 3-4 times a week.

Good job on joining the gym