Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/151/120 Female 63"
BF:I don't know.
Progress:
Default I'm newbie help with supplements

Hello All

I am a newbie. I am so grateful for your advice. I need help please on when and how much to take of these supplements. Are these really necessary? I have never taken vitamins in my life. I admit taking the multi vitamin and following the Atkins cutting out sugar has made me feel better, but I would have thought that the multi vitamin would be enough, but I guess not. So here is what I got today. The first two things on my list are because I am a sugar addict that has quite. Thank God. I did not think I could. Also Sugar alcohols, malitol, etc. raise my insulin level to knock me out of ketosis. I was told L-glutamine powdered would control my cravings and Vanadyl Sulfate would allow me to have an Atkins advantage bar or breakfast bar if I wanted and I could truely count the net carbs without counting everything. Is this true? So please look over my list if there is something I don’t need please let me know or if something is missing? I have read through most of the posts and came up of this list to take. It is so confusing. Thank You so so much..

L-glutamine powder (1 scoop 5g)
Vanadyl Sulfate 10 mg
Atkins Essential Oil 2x’s daily
Atkins PM Renew 3 at night
Atkins AM Cleanse 3 in the morning
Atkins Basic 3 Multi vitamin 3x’s a day with meals
Grape Seed Extract 50 mg
Liquid L- Carnitine (1 teaspoon 5 ml) 300 mg
-Pantothenic Acid 20 mg
Chromium Picoliate 500 mg
Calcium 1000 mg
-Magnesium 500 mg
-Vitamin D 200 IU

Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg
Vitamin C 1000mg (as calcium ascorbate)
-Calcium 94 mg (as calcium ascorbate)
-Citrus Bioflavonoids 200 mg(from 50 mg of Citrus Bioflavonoids Complex 4x)
Glucosamine 750 mg
-Chondroitin 600 mg
Flax Seed Oil (1 tablespoon 15 mg)

O.K. here it is. The one’s with the dash (-) are in included in the main one. Also what is COQ10 ? What is the difference between Acetyl L-Carnitine and L-Carnitine do we need both?

I know this is a lot. I appreciate this very much.

Thanks Again

Miss Rock
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 23:52
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's an astonishing amount of supplements! I very much doubt you need even half of them. Let me work my way through them bit by bit.

L-Glutamine definitely helps reduce cravings for sweet stuff. At least, it did for me. But you only need 500 to 1000mg 3 times daily. The larger amounts are helpful to reduce muscle soreness after exercising.

I have never heard of Vanadyl Sulfate affecting sugar alcohol net carbs. I would simply avoid products with sugar alcohols for the time being, then if you wish, introduce them carefully and see how you respond.

Essential oils are helpful, but not vital if you are eating plenty of fish and a generally wide variety of food.

I am not familiar with Atkins PM Renew 3 or Atkins AM Cleanse 3. I simply take psyllium husks (as recommended by Dr Atkins in DANDR) if I have either constipation or diarrhoea.

I'd definitely take a multivitamin of some sort. If you have the Atkins ones, by all means take them, but cheaper ones are just as good IMHO.

What is the Grape Seed Extract supposed to do? I wouldn't bother with that one.

Nor would I bother with the next few on your list except calcium and magnesium.

Vitamin C is a good idea, depending on your intake of vegies.

Do you have arthritis? I'd still try to avoid Glucosamine if possible as it is known to cause insulin resistance.

You shouldn't need flax seed oil if you are taking Essential Oils.

You don't mention potassium anywhere. IMNSHO potassium, along with calcium, magnesium and a multivitamin are the only things you really need, especially in the beginning.
Potassium can be taken either as a potassium salt, such as No Salt, and sprinkled on your food, or you can buy 99mg tabs. You need about 400mg daily. Do take it with food, otherwise it can irritate your tum. And anyone taking prescription diuretics or BP lowering drugs should check first with their pharmacist before taking potassium supplements.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 00:33
Registered Member

Stats: 153/151/120 Female 63"
BF:I don't know.
Progress:

Thank You so much Rosebud. I thought that was a lot of stuff. I gathered this info from the post in supplements. Thank You once and again and my wallet thanks you. Also Thanks for the tip on Glucosamine. That is the last thing I want.

Miss Rock