Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 21:44
California Dreamin

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%
Default Need some LC advice

Hi everyone...
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer....It concerns my daughter...My Daughter is wanting to lead a low carb lifestyle, however she doesn't wish to do it because she needs to lose weight.( She is perfect weight for her height). She wants to change to LC for the energy level and overall feeling of good health that this WOE gives you. She sees how its changing my life by increasing my energy, etc.
Since I'm still in induction of Atkins, and I am fairly new to LCing myself, I don't know what to tall her in terms of carbs/day that she would need to maintain her weight. She works out 2-3times/week, but as her mother WAS, she is addicted to sugar!!! Please any words of wisdom would be much appreciated..
Would cutting out the sugar alone be enough to increase energy?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

How old is she?

Teens and children need to be on maintanance carbs and be very careful about nutrition.

If she is an older teen or adult, then LC could work great for health benifits and help prevent problems later.

Get her a copy of Atkins for Life. It starts people off at around 60g of carbs a day, then you adjust from there based on your needs. It has easy to read tables on what foods to eat often, in moderation and rarely. If she is interested in the Science behind why LC is healthy and the rold of insulin, then maybe look into getting her a copy of Protien Power form the library. It goes more into the science.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:28
California Dreamin

She is 19-1/2yrs. old, and thanks for the information!! I would have had no idea how many maintainance grams of carbs she would need, especially since I'm not at the maintainance level yet. I will get those books for her. (I don't have those myself) I believe she would be interested in the science behind it also...Thanks again.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 23:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I was a teen I automatically had a low carb diet. It was not deliberate except for the fact that I did not like breads or pastas. I ate a little fruit and potatoes. I loved corn. These, I am sure, are more carbs than what I eat now but this dietary history tells me something about myself. I never had a ravenous appetite and I ate small portions of food when I was a kid. I could care less if I had dessert ( we were not a family to have dessert after a meal ). My appetite grew and my hypoglycemia symptoms sprouted as I began to enjoy doughnuts and ice cream, breads and that al dente pasta. Weight gain walked hand in hand with this discovery. I probably ate maintenance type carbs and this is probably what will work for your daughter.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 23:49
California Dreamin

Thank you for the info...I am going to tell her :0)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:11

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:

Glad that your daughter is in good health and wants to stay that way. Too many young people think they can treat their bodies badly and it won't matter. She may not have to be concerned with counting carb grams. A simple way to go LC would be to cut sugar and refined flour out of her diet. Most of what is left is good stuff! Substituting veggies for pasta seems weird at first but soon becomes second nature.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:36

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I would encourage her to eat:
1) good whole grains, rather than any white flour product.

2) Brown rice rather than White.

3)Potatoes, maybe 2-3 times a week.

4)Limit her sweets as much as she can

5) eats all the fruit and veggies she wants.

Even at 19 and being an ideal weight, she still needs what all those foods have to offer.

Good luck, Kathy