Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default PP and ww?

Has anyone ever tried this? I have some success on Weight Watchers. I have lost 15 pounds. However, I am eating carbs like crazy and just feel like crap! I would like to try PP but am afraid to do it without WW because I just know that I will pig out! I am the kind of person who needs guidelines. I tried Atkins, but didn't lose anything and ate like a pig I am thinking if I combine the two, I will be eating less carbs but still watching how much I eat? Do you think it will work? Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi.

I don't see how the combination would work, because WW counts calories and fat in its points system. We get to ignore calories because in the absense of carbs and insulin, many of the calories in fat are literally wasted. But this only applies when the carb count is very low. When the carb count is this low, you have to eat something else instead: fat and protein, and that blows your WW points. So they're not exactly compatible.

You could, within WW guidelines, choose the lowest carb foods possible. That's probably about it.

If you're someone who needs guidelines, it would be best to stick to one plan and not combine them.

Good luck!

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 17:03.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the input Kristine...I didn't think it would work too well. You are right. I just need to pick one plan and stick with it. Since WW is going so well, I think I will just try to lower my carbs, or at least reduce the sugar and white flour in my diet.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 04:01

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have known two people who attempted to combine WW and PP - neither were able to do PP as written. One did develop a modified PP / WW plan that worked for her. She ate adequate protein by choosing her protein sources very carefully - staying with those that were low in fat - she upped the traditional PP carbs during weight loss from 30 or 55 to about 80 gms (did not count fiber) and got this exclusively from veggies, low-fat dairy, nuts and whole grains.

Hope that info helps - and good luck to you as you find what works for you.

As you can see from my signature below, WW did not work well for me in terms of weight loss - I lost only 10 lbs in a 10 month period. However, my lipid profile and BP were much better on WW than on the LC WOEs - I am in the process of seeing if eliminating beef and egg yolks (sources of arachodonic acid thought to cause these problems in those who are sensitive) will reverse this. If it does not, I will likely go back to a WW type diet after I lose the excess weight. While I don't lose on WW, I also don't gain on it.

Last edited by Orang : Sat, Feb-07-04 at 04:09.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 07:42

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Hello

WW worked miserably for me also, and I also do not see how you could combine the two. But, you will find once you are doing PP or any low carb plan, that you will lose weight, even with more calories. I have lost 17 so far, and I don't limit calories. However, LC does tend to have a natural appetite suppressing effect, so you don't eat as much.

Maybe try PP, and track your intake with a program like Fitday? That way you could keep track of your food intake if that is a concern of yours.

Good luck!!

Robin