Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy What's going on?

I have been doing Atkins faithfully for about 3 weeks or so combined with 5 to 6 days a week of going to the gym. I'm doing cardio for at least 30min each day and rotating my upper and lower body weight training every other day. The first week of induction I lost about 10 pounds and so far I have lost no more. In fact I have gone up about 2 or 3 pounds the last week. I have lost some inches all over my body but no more weight. Some one told me that low-carbers working out will lose the inches before the weight. Is this so? I don't understand what is going on. Please help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 16:12
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

Well, several things are. First, you're shrinking! Congratulations. Obviously you're losing fat. You may be partially replacing that with muscle, you may be retaining water if it's before your cycle, it can be a lot of things.

Also, there is what's known as "the dreaded 3 week stall". Real common, don't worry about it. If you're losing inches, you're fine. You can also check your ketones if you're really worried.

If you're sticking to your plan, watcing salt and calories (not gorging or starving) just keep going. Put your scale away and promise yourself you're going to do this another 3 weeks and see what happens.

Great job so far!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 19:04

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I have lost some inches all over my body but no more weight.

Then why worry? Wouldn't you rather be 160 lbs and skinny than 140 lbs and overweight? Quit relying on what a stupid number says! Go by how you look, feel and how your clothes fit.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 04:53
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

It is VERY common to lose inches before pounds, especially if you lift weights. Reasons for this include:

1. When you challenge the muscles by lifting, they tend to hold water. This will mask fat loss on the scale, but you will get smaller.

2. Muscles grow in response to weightlifting. A pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat, so if you lose fat but gain muscle, and stay the same weight on the scale, it will necessarily result in a loss of inches.

3. At least in some people, the body retains water when fat is lost, and doesn't give it up until days or even weeks later. The only remedy for this is patience.

Hang in there.

Emily
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 19:56

Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thank you guys!! I love this site it really keeps me going when I think things just aren't working right.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 20:03

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I agree with the others, stop using the scale and start using the way clothes don't fit any more. I got my wedding rings on for the first time in 5 years the other day. I was estatic. the next morning they didn't fit again, Give me a week and they'll be slipping right on where they belong. (for some of TOM is everything, I can gain 4 - 5 lbs in water)